Journey playtesters kept offing each other

Tuesday, 20th March 2012 23:19 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Thatgamecompany’s Robin Hunicke got very down on humanity while prototyping co-operative adventure Journey.

In one early build of Journey, players could shove each other around more than in the final version.

“We were doing play tests, where we invited players to come in and play the game. However, instead of cooperating and building a relationship each other, the players just kept attacking each other and pushing each other into the pit,” Hunicke told Siliconera.

“At the time, I was very disappointed in mankind; we designed all the settings so they will help each other, but they still just kill each other, as if they don’t have any morality at all.”

The producer ran into a child psychologist who told her that in a virtual space, where everything is new, players “become kids, and don’t know what they’re doing is bad”. The psychologist advised Hunicke to avoid negative feedback but find some way to show players it was wrong.

“So when I went back to the prototype, we removed the physics so they couldn’t push each other into the pit,” she said.

Journey is available now via the PlayStation Network. It’s officially splendid.

1. xino

exactly how it is online!

people play co-op but just don’t want to co-op, they either attack you, run off or show off

2. KAP

Thats completely bollox xino.

I’ve completed Journey 7 times now and havent met anyone who grief like that.
    Ok maybe you might find someone who sets off on there own path which is utterly fine since theres no rule that states you NEED a companion throughout the whole entire journey.

Im guessing you found Journey amazing xino, I dont doubt that for a second but come on with that generalisation that most users tend to show off or attack you (what button is that by the way dude?)

Sigh. Thank god we have games like COD for those to run to, hey!

3. freedoms_stain

@2, I think he was referring to online gaming at large as opposed to Journey specifically.

And for online gaming at large he’s probably more right than he’s wrong.

4. Dragon246

This precisely the reason why online gaming sucks for me. Gonna be a single player gamer forever!!!

5. Logic Incarnate

I think you will find that a game like Journey (or SSX, or Dark Souls) is trying to solve the “jerks online” problem with their solutions to multiplayer. I want more of this style of online.