New Dishonored screens show off a messed-up world

Monday, 19th March 2012 14:32 GMT By Alex Donaldson

Bethesda have just dropped a bunch of new screenshots from Dishonored, the new title from Arkane Studios, showing off the game’s rather distinctive-looking world.

It all looks a little bit Bioshock – in a good way. The scenes and lighting in these scenes scream utopia gone wrong – and we all know how awesome a setting that can be.

Disonored sees you playing as an assassin out for revenge, with the twist being your access to brutal superpowers. It’s all meant to be open-ended, meaning you can tackle missions in a stealthy way or be an all-guns-blazing tank if you want.

There’s also some lovely, massive concept art. Check it all out below – the game’s out for 360, PS3 and PC later this year.

1. Pytox

awesome

2. Edo

There’s an interesting interview with the guys involved in it http://www.gamespot.com/dishonored/videos/dishonored-creating-steampunk-beauty-6366855/ .I really like where they are going with this game and for some reason I REALLY love the music in the background of the video (especially around 1.45)and I hope that it’s the actual game soundtrack.

3. OrbitMonkey

Certainly looks interesting. Can’t wait to visit that brothel, the red head looks proper tasty ;-)

4. Maximum Payne

@2 Remind of Max Payne :)

5. DSB

I’m not sure I like how all the techno stuff looks like it was pulled right out of Half-Life 2, but if the game turns out to be good, it’s not gonna matter.

6. Edo

@4 :) Yeah some parts do remind me of Max Payne soundtrack but this particular tune…it’s just stuck in my head at the moment.

7. HauntaVirus

Looks brilliant!

8. osric90

I’m hoping for more Steampunk feeling, theatrical, passionate characters, amazing gameplay and some more sexyness.

9. Johnny Cullen

So pumped for this now.

10. TheWulf

I just wish it wasn’t yet another FPS.

Aesthetically it’s very nice, though. Quite interesting.

11. Aimless

@5 The games share a visual/concept designer, Viktor Antonov. Also, I swear Dishonored is running on Source, although I haven’t seen anything confirming my suspicions; there’s something about the look of it on a technical level.

@10 The way I see it the game’s “yet another FPS” in the same way that both Gran Turismo and Mario Kart are racing games. Technically yes, it is a first-person shooter, but whilst CoD might currently be synonymous with the genre it is not the be-all, end-all. We’ve come a long way from “Doom-clone”.

12. DSB

@11 Oh I know that, but it’s still odd that the mechanical stuff looks so remarkably like combine tech.

You’d think he’d try to get away from that. It’s not bad, but it is a little distracting.

13. NeoSquall

@11 Wow, I haven’t read “Doom-clone” for about some time…

@12 Has Giger ever run away from his xenomorph-inspired style?

14. Edo

@11 It’s a modified version of the Unreal Engine.
    @13 Well said,I think Antonov actually said that he was told to put some stuff in the game that will remind people of his work on Half-Life 2(can’t remember now why exactly) and I for one certainly don’t mind it.