New Atelier title on the way for PS3

Monday, 19th March 2012 10:40 GMT By Alex Donaldson

Gust have announced a new entry in the Atelier series of titles for the PlayStation 3 at the Dengeki Game Festival over in Japan.

Given the codename Project A14, the game will actually be an ‘all new’ entry in the popular Atelier series of RPGs and will launch on PS3 in Japan this June.

The game is ‘all new’ as it ditches everything from previous games – much as Final Fantasy traditionally does – and starts fresh with new characters, a new universe and even new gameplay systems.

There’ll be fresh blood on the development team too, including a new character designer who hasn’t worked on the series before. The mysterious silhouette before is to be the game’s lead. We can expect more information on the game to hit the Japanese press soon.

Thanks, Gematsu and Gekidami.

1. The_Red

If it’s really a fresh start, maybe people like me can get into it. So far the only JRPG that I’ve enjoyed this gen is Resonance of Fate / End of Eternity.

2. Alex Donaldson

@1 Lost Odyssey is well worth your time, but very traditional. Eternal Sonata is fun but super cheesy.

3. absolutezero

Super cheesy until it gets soul crushingly depressing. The two released Wii JRPGs I would say are the best thats been released this generation.

I always wanted to get into the Atelier series because they seem like really nice, warm, light hearted games with lovely artwork. Only Roronoa is impossible to find at an acceptable price. Which means starting with Totori :(

4. The_Red

@2 I was interested in Lost Odyssey. As the project reached completion, it kept changing and changing. The end result was too different compared to the original M rated, gritty JRPG that was first teased, so I didn’t buy it (I know, lame excuse but still). Eternal Sonata though was always interesting. Loved the idea of the main character but the gameplay looked really cliched and boring.

One of the reasons that I enjoyed Resonance so much was it’s many different and unique elements. From turn-based Matrix like combat to gun-customization and board game like world map. God that game was sweet.

5. StolenGlory

Indeed, I actually loved Eternal Sonata to bits. The only real thing I didn’t enjoy about it was Beat.

Seriously, if people playing FFXIII think Hope is annoying, they have only got to play ES and realise he doesn’t have a PATCH on Beat.

A character that was purposefully engineered to get on your tits if there ever was one… and THAT voice!

*Throttle*