Work complete on Dragon Age 2, team on “next phase”

Monday, 19th March 2012 20:10 GMT By Debabrata Nath

Dragon Age’s executive producer Mark Darrah has confirmed that Bioware’s completed post-release work on Dragon Age 2 and the entire team has now moved onto “the next phase of Dragon Age’s future.”

He announced this news via a forum post on the Bioware site.

“While we will still be keeping an eye out for any issues that might crop up in DA2 and supporting the community should any emergencies should arise, we’re moving the entire team’s focus to the next phase of Dragon Age’s future,” he said.

“You’ve most certainly heard the rumours floating around, and unfortunately I can’t really comment on them. However, what I can say is that we’ve been thinking a lot about Dragon Age – what it means, and where it could go. This past year, we’ve spent a lot of time both going back to the ‘BioWare vault’ of games and re-examining them, and looking at some new possibilities that today’s industry allows.

“Ah, Hawke, I’ve been expecting you.”

He made an appeal to fans to give their feedback about which direction Dragon Age should take.

“With that, the next thing for the Dragon Age team members and I to do is hear from you, and not just on the forums, or Facebook, or Twitter. The most valuable thing we can get out of those meetings is to hear from you on those same topics – what does Dragon Age mean to you, and where would you like to see it go? We’re excited to hear what you have to say!”

Darrah also made some notable announcements via his Twitter profile. He revealed that plans for an expansion pack for Dragon Age 2 called Exalted March were discussed but “other DA opportunities came up” which made the team drop the idea entirely.

He also said it’ll be actively looking for fan feedback and will be showing more of the next DA title than before as development work is carried out.

“We’ll be very actively looking for feedback on the next DA title, and will be showing the game more than before as it develops.”

All this clearly points towards Dragon Age 3. Bioware’s got its work cut out for after the criticism it faced from fans for Dragon Age 2, with many complaining it felt like a “rushed” product.

1. Moonwalker1982

I didn’t play DA2, but only the demo, i digged the combat system and liked it alot more than Origins’ combat system. The combat system in Origins is the reason i eventually put the game down, i just hated it.

So keep that combat system and improve on it, but change everything else. Cause the overall look of DAII was horrible and Origins had alot more ‘life’ to it, and was alot more interesting.

2. Dark

Learn from the witcher 2 , bioware
    if not then DA3 will fail.

3. YoungZer0

Keep the combat and the artstyle. Seriously, i loved the art-direction. It definitely set the game apart from other rpgs.

4. Talkar

I wouldn’t say it points towards a DA3.
    It could also just be a spinoff of DA2, or a Dragon Age game in another genre.

5. Edo

@3 It sure did,that one dungeon looked really nice.

6. YoungZer0

@5: I was mostly talking about the character-design.

7. Aimless

I agree with YoungZer0, the art direction was generally a lot better.

I also liked the combat in theory, although they ended up really undermining it by having enemies spawn in mid-battle; there wasn’t much point in pre-battle planning because new enemies would flood in, inevitably screwing up your strategy.

8. Moonwalker1982

You liked the artstyle? Damn, i thought it looked like shit, only judging by demo and several gameplay videos. So very boring and bland really. But yeah, combat wise it should be like The Witcher 2. But the recycling of dungeons is just bullshit.

9. Aimless

@8 Did you play the first game? I think part of the reason I liked DAII‘s art is that it had about 10 times more personality than the original.

10. papizdano

i personally liked the combat of dragon age 2 (even though i found origins combat better and more appropriate for this kind of game) the thing is that the story was good but it just didnt have that “grandious” feel that origin had…. it should have been an exp pack or something and they should have cut all the extra grind off… just my two cents

11. Moonwalker1982

Damn really? Then i guess i gotta buy that game sometime, like i said i only played the demo of DAII but the faces and expresions seemed very…simple i guess.

Yep i played quite a bit of Origins, till like the part with Swiftrunner, if i have his name correct. But i put the game down, and i have yet to pick it up, but i ain’t looking forward to picking it up cause the combat is just something i can’t get used to or even actually simply enjoy.

I really did like several characters in Origins though, especially Morrigan, awesome character. So there was actually more personality to them in 2?

12. Aimless

@11 I just meant the personality of the art, not the characters.

On that subject, though, I’m not sure where I stand on comparing the two games’ rosters. My gut errs towards Origins being the stronger and having a bit more depth, but the second game certainly has its moments. DAII has a slightly different tone, too, a bit less self-serious; not labelling that a good or bad thing, just different.

13. Sini

Nothing short of firing the entire staff of DA2 would be enough of an apology. Bonus points if you see a youtube video of their families crowding outside trash bins trying to keep warm at night. wow.. that was harsh, and i havent touched the game for a year

14. DSB

@13 Holy shit.

Do you need to talk, dude? :P

15. Hybridpsycho

I just had to log in to complain about the shit comments here.

People saying DA2 had a better artstyle than DA:O? I know we’re allowed to have different opinions and all that shit. But DA2 had some lousy Art Direction and the overall graphics was completely fucking shit, it was horrible and I felt like puking as soon as I looked at something that wasn’t a part of my party.
    I’m not saying DA:O was a beauty, but it sure as hell had better textures, more variation and even a higher polygon count than anything in DA2.

The combat system was shit, they couldn’t decide if they wanted to go all out hack ‘n slash or just go with the classic RPG combat system but with a higher pace.
    Personally if they had just kept the old one and made it more dynamic through animations and overall more feedback it would’ve been awesome.

The writing was terrible (Thank you Hamburger Helper) and the characters had the most shit personalities ever. There was nothing interesting about them and the things that there was to learn about them you learned in a 1 minute chat with them.

The fact that Dragon Age went from awesome epic adventure game where you travelled the lands to staying in one city and visiting 50 caves that looked exactly the same makes it even worse. I think the only part I enjoyed was the one were you went into the Deep Roads and when my character got the cool armor set (the one Hawke wears in the trailer).
    Apart from that every moment felt like someone was throwing shit in my face and I just kept taking it because maybe in some of that shit I would find an infinite resource of bacon.

Oh yeah, the one character that I would actually have enjoyed to get into my party was killed-off (the Qunari mage that had his mouth sown shut), the idea from the beginning was that he should be able to join you. BUT NO, LETS KILL OFF THE ONLY INTERESTING CHARACTER IN THE GAME.

Oh yeah, did I mention the part where BioWare has started shoving gay dialogues into peoples throats (Not that I have anything against gays, I hated the Isabela character just as much cause she was nothing but a fucking slut), but the way they just have to do it without thinking of the character personality/design makes me sick.

Dragon Age 2 might have been a good game if shortened it, it felt like a prequel to the actual game and the events should only have taken place over about 3-6 hours at most.

Oh yeah, did I mention how Bioware SPOILED THE WHOLE 2ND ACT IN THAT AWESOME TRAILER?!?!

TLDR: What #13 said. +10 internets to him/her.

16. Clupula

Personally, I think they should go back to everything they did in Dragon Age: Origins and do it again. DA2 was pretty shitty. I only played the demo and then an hour of the full game, but I was really not impressed with the changes in battle system and the art style.

17. YoungZer0

@15: Yeah, DA2 had a superior art-style. Say what you want about it, but it was unique. DA:O was the same old Tolkien Bullshit we’ve seen for the past 20 years or so. Boring to say the least. And try to make a good looking character, that’s also part of the art-direction. The combat system was missing some depth, but at least you didn’t sit there watching your character standing and waiting for the dice to roll.

The writing was indeed terrible. Nobody is denying that.

I also loved the Qunari mage.

Shoving gay dialogues into peoples throats? Don’t remember that. You mean because a gay character actually dared to say something nice about your looks? Did he make you question your own sexuality?

Please don’t try to hide your homophobia. That “I have nothing against gays, as long as they don’t touch, or talk, or stand near me” bullshit. I make you look like a huge hypocrite.

18. DSB

@16 I love you man.

I think the best they could do is hire some new writers, and start it over with a new IP.

The story and the protagonist were the worst bits of Dragon Age: Origins, and it wasn’t a very good base to build on. They should make a new world with new characters, but keep the things that made Dragon Age: Origins a great game.

@17 I don’t think he’s expressing intolerance, I think he means they’re used in a pretty cheap way.

I’d refer to this:

It does feel like they’re checking boxes instead of actually caring for that character. Kinda like “Bioware sex”. It’s 5 seconds of toothless cuddling, but apparently good enough for the PR department.

That being said, I also agree with that article in that I’d rather have games with poorly written, token gay people, than no gay people at all.

It can and should be done way, way better than that though.

19. Hybridpsycho

The artstyle was nothing unique, it was the same Tolkien Bullshit without the awesome parts of said Tolkien Bullshit.
    Sure the characters in your party looked pretty nice, but you couldn’t equip any new armor making it very disappointing to get any gear that that main character couldn’t use.

“Shoving gay dialogues into peoples throats.”
    I mean how one character insists on talking about me like he wants my cock in his ass. Don’t throw that homophobic crap on me, I guess I should rephrase myself though and say “Shoving whore dialogue in peoples faces.”

The way you start assuming stuff about me makes you look like a douche, don’t act like you know stuff about people online after reading one thing they said.

Oh yeah, watching your character stand still while you wait for that dice roll? Did you only play it on easy?

Oh oh oh! How about that shitty gore they added to make their combat look more awesome? I’ve always played Warrior/Barbarian/Fighter classes in RPG’s and I wanted to play that through DA2 as well but I couldn’t. Because when my character charged into combat swinging to decapitate someones head but the result being all the fucking limbs flying everywhere together with some poorly aniamted strawberry jam, it makes it looked totally stupid so I had to play a mage to have the gore make even a litle bit of sense.

For a game to have good gore isn’t just to add more blood and have limbs flying, there’s a certain aesthetic looked required as well as some very awesome camera (if possible), animation work and proper choreography as well.

Oh yeah, did I mention how stupid it was that 80% of the encounters with enemies you had was in the city, being ambushed by 15 bandits jumping of balconies just to be killed and then have their 10 comrades jumping out to die after as well. I believe I must’ve killed everyone in the city a few hours into the game.

There are tons of stuff I could mention that suck about Dragon Age 2, I’ve only talked about a few. However I think it would be quicker to say what was good with the game. I liked the armor of my character and the way Bioware designed the mage. That’s pretty much it.

20. absolutezero

The one thing I disliked about the DA 2 art style is that every woman tends to be a titty monster of gigantic proportions. Really even an old hag of the wilds suddenly had huge tits out of no where.

Also the weapons looked idiotic, other than that I kinda liked its style, it was interesting. The World though, that horrible bland featureless mess whenever you left town.

yeah…

21. HighWindXIX

For what it’s worth, I enjoyed DA2 quite a bit. I cannot deny that it had several problems but it also had some strengths. Obviously, opinion on the art style is split, but I liked it better than DA:O. The graphics might not have been great, but that’s separate from art style. It was unique and much less bland. I also liked that the story wasn’t just another “kill the big evil, save the world” kind of story. Finally, I liked all the characters and felt that were more a part of the story than most of the DA:O characters (obviously excluding Morrigan and Allister).

However, it certainly had problems. The scope of the game was way too small. Every goddamn cave was the exact same goddamn cave no matter where it actually was. The combat as anything but a mage was too button-mashy (unless you did some menu diving and changed it so that it literally played exactly like DA:O just faster).

So what do I want in DA3? A bigger world to explore. Different environments. More emphasis on strategic gameplay, less actiony. And I want to play as my Hawke again, or have her be important in the story.

22. Aimless

@20 I guess they could only fit mountain_cave.rim and titty_monster.erf into the time and budget provided.

For what it’s worth I did have a lot of problems with DAII, they just didn’t drive me to wish homelessness upon the developers and their families.

23. YoungZer0

@19: Erm, but it was unique. Show me a RPG that has the same Style. Go on, i’ll wait here. And you could equip others, you just need to own the PC version. Mods and all that.

“don’t act like you know stuff about people online after reading one thing they said.”

Well, that’s the kind of reaction you get when you use sentences like these. You must have known that.

Yeah, i played it on easy, so …? The combat was still boring and outdated.

DA:O already had ridiculous gore. DA2 took it a step further.

Yes the encounters were boring and yes, the last thing i want to hear in DA3 is “THERE IS MORE OF THEM!” We all know that, nothing new.

24. shogoz

lol @ #13…..funniest comment ever!

25. Hybridpsycho

@23 Sure when you say it like that the artstyle is a bit more “unique” it’s still the same shit though imo without the awesome stuff.
    One shouldn’t have to mod the game to have a basic function that should already be implemented, esp if you wanna play it on release.

Yes I know people react that way after those sentences, but I usually ignore it because people who does react that way are normally douchebags and only uses it as an argument because they have nothing else to say and think they’re better than others. Oh wait, now I went and assumed things about you!

Playing it on easy made the combat boring, the combat was boring in Dragon Age 2 on easy as well, hell even on normal it sucked. I had to go hard to actually be having to do something with my characters and not just let them do it on their own.

DA:O had OK gore, at least it made sense when my character shield bashed another enemy only to attempt to severe his head with the axe I was using.

Hiding C4 in all the enemies is not even on the same line.

26. mscoolcat666

I loved dragon age origins but dragon age 2 had a bit of a downfall but not the worsed game, the ending of Dragon age 2 was good where all your Companions helped. I cant wait for Dragon age 3 but i have heard there is 28 endings! but will be fun to get through them all. it will be good if they did a Dragon age 4 after this and it be with hawke and your grey warden because it will be cool for two heros working together. but hope they use Dragon age origins darkspawn then Dragon age 2 because they looked at bit unreal (if they are in this one).