Warren Spector says Human Revolution “captured the spirit” of Deus Ex

Saturday, 17th March 2012 21:09 GMT By Dave Oshry

Critics in general are tough to please, but what about when your critic is the man who created the very franchise that you’ve worked so tirelessly to reboot?

Warren Spector, game industry legend the man behind the original Deus Ex spoke recently with GamesIndustry about a subject he’s been rather quiet about until now – Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

The critically acclaimed action/rpg both rebooted the Deus Ex franchise and was a financial success for the likes of developer Eidos Montreal and publisher Square Enix.  But what did Warren think of it?

“It really captured the spirit of Deus Ex… It had a lot of the sort of gray of the original game where nothing is right and wrong – I really like that a lot. It made me feel like I was making decisions that revealed more about me than it did about my character, which I loved”

Yet, it wasn’t all praise, he said that there were moments when:

“I screamed at the television as I played this game. I loved the game at the end of the day, but I screamed constantly because there were two, three, four things they did where I just said ‘Nooooo, why did you this? Noooo!’, and it wasn’t that it was right or wrong, it was different than what I expected.”

As for the lasting impression of both Human Revolution and his work? Spector remarked:

“Some day, either I’m going to write an article about that, or somebody who is getting their master’s degree at MIT or someplace, is going to write a master’s thesis about the systemic differences, the game system differences between Deus Ex and Deus Ex: Human Revolution.”

You know what?  As a huge fan of both games I think that I just might write that article some day.

To read the full (and lengthy) interview about the life and times of Warren Spector, head over to GamesIndustry.

1. K-V-C

it really is a brilliant game !!!!!!!! if anyone is considering on buying it they really should brilliant experience !!!!

2. Talkar

except for the boss fights :P

3. Dave Oshry

@2 I knew someone was gonna say that :-p

4. DSB

Well, he’s also the guy who made Invisible War.

5. osric90

@4 True. Human Revolution made me feel like my girlfriend cheated on me with some stupid, macho invisible being.

6. LOLshock95

@4 Wrong. Harvey Smith made it.

7. Aton

@6 …and Warren Spector.

8. LOLshock94

@6 <3

9. The_Red

Original Deus Ex is a classic and one of the most important video games ever made, FACT. The new one may not reach such status and has many flaws but that doesn’t mean people at Eidos Montreal didn’t do a great job of make something this close to the original.

I know Human Revolution has a lot of haters and people that consider it another Invisible War. Glad to see Mr Spector is not one of them since I’m loving every minute of HR right now.

10. DSB

@9 Well, he never actually apologized for Invisible War as far as I know.

Eidos Montreal did a lot better than I expected them to, but I would personally place it closer to Invisible War than the original.

11. The_Red

Same here. Eidos Montreal did a surprisingly good job. I can understand why it could be considered closer to IW but to me, it’s closer to the original. Not to say that it’s as great as that but I’ve been trying to play HR just as I played the original and most of the time, HR has given me the same type of pleasure.

It feels a bit more romanticized and clear specially when it comes to good and evil. As a result, HR is not as morally grey as DE1 but since I’m loving most of the new characters, dialogues and feel of the world, that doesn’t bother or distract me. Plus it’s a really fun stealth/RPG hybrid.

12. Sini

Apologize for what? Only thing wrong with IW was that it was limited by original xbox specs.

13. DSB

It sucked. Hard.

14. unacomn

I agree that it capture the spirit of Deus Ex, that being the reason why we call it a sequel to Deus Ex, and no “that game we never talk about or mention by name”

15. resonancecascade

Warren Spector didn’t make Invisible War. He’s credited because he was essentially running Ion Storm at the time, but he didn’t do much, if any, actual work on the game. He was too busy with Thief 3, so you can blame him for that if you didn’t like it. :)

Also, nice to see Dave Oshry here. Small internets, I used to read your stuff at Rip Ten. Keep up the good work, man.

16. DSB

@15 I accept that, but he DID play the role of active producer. Not just Mr “Whatever”, in fairness :P

17. Dave Oshry

@15 OH HAI! XD

Also, Thief 3 was awesome.