Borderlands 2: Claptrap writes a love letter to PC gamers

Saturday, 17th March 2012 15:21 GMT By Dave Oshry

It’s no secret that the PC version of the original Borderlands had… some issues.  Well, it seems Gearbox is aware of this and is looking to make up for it with Borderlands 2.

How, you might ask?  By having Claptrap pen a semi-creepy love letter to PC gamers.

He’s asked that you read this in a Barry White voice for added effect:

Indeed, that letter may be nothing short of fantastic, but PC gamers want to know what Gearbox is actually going to do for them in Borderlands 2. Luckily, the little robotic love machine then broke it down into simple bullet points:

So there you have it.  It looks as if the PC version of Borderlands 2 will be done right this time around.  It also looks as if Claptrap wants to whisper Aerosmith lyrics into my ear all night.

1. Talkar

Yay Borderlands 2 are getting features that used to be standard in a PC game.. wait what? xD

2. Dave Oshry

@1 heuheuheuheuheueuheueueheuheuheuhe XD

3. TMRNetShark

Yeah, developers forgot how to code for PC games… even iD Software forgot to have proper graphical options. XD

4. fightclubdoll

And I love you, CL4P-TR4P… =-)

(but I’ll be playing on XBOX)

5. Maxey

inb4 Loki/Erthazus

Anyway, while it’s sad to see that these features have to be advertised now, I applaud their effort to support the PC gamers properly.

6. Se_7_eN

Such BS…

“Hey guys, everything that is standard in PC gaming, will be in our game!”

I find it funny that they tell us this, then we as PC gamers are supposed to get excited because we get a decent “PORT” Woooo hoooo….

7. DSB

@6 I’m sure being the whiniest, bloodiest cunt will really serve to inspire and motivate them to consider us in the future.

Bravo, ma’am.

8. freedoms_stain

you’d have to be quite a harsh bastard to deride them for putting in effort that so many choose to skip these days.

9. Edo

As I said YESTERDAY…thank you Gearbox.

10. endgame

Actually Se_7_eN is correct. What they’ve said they’ll do with the PC version should not be said. All of those and better graphics. This is what developers should do for us PC gamers and it shouldn’t sound like they’re doing us a favor. Anyway it looks like at least Gearbox will have the common sense to introduce those features in the PC version of the game. Unlike Bioware which made Mass Effect 2 almost a straight XBOX360 port. It looks really bad. Although the controls are top notch. I’ll give’em that. Even so this will be my last Bioware game. Seeing how they’ve decided to overcharge for lower quality products. Borderlands 2? I will buy. :)

11. Dragon246

WHERE IS THE VITA VERSION?

12. The_Red

I don’t get it. Why would some PC fans whine about this? Sure, all PC games used to have these things as a standard but so what? Most PC ports / game don’t feature a single PC specific feature so when one dev does put them in its game, they have to announce it publicly so people can know.

Also considering how rushed the PC port of BL1 was, this is clear indication of Gearbox listening to PC gamers and caring for the platform. Whining that dev should not boast about them because they were norm one is plain stupid. Also “present” says hi. It also says “Yesterday is gone”.

13. Edo

@12 Jeez…it’s yesterday’s news OBVIOUSLY ,check the “News?” section.

14. TheWulf

Benefit of the doubt, eh?

I mean, everyone appreciates an optimised game, but the ‘PC elite’ are just a vocal minority. And often they create a cesspool when you group them together. (Did you see the RPS article on Second Life? So. Much. Hubris. Those guys must think that sophrosyne is a kind of cheese.)

I really don’t want to see developers play up to them too much because that would be bad for all of us. Not to mention that it’s bad for disabled people when PC elitists demand UIs that only some kind of bionic eagle can read. (And, you know, fuck those guys with visual disabilities.)

So I hope they get the balance of this right. Most PC gamers that I know, the decent kind, only care if it’s optimised decently enough and can connect properly. Beyond that? Shits are not given. As I said, the vocal minority of PC elitists is just that – a vocal minority.

In fact, I think I’ll just link that article so you can see just why I’ve picked up such a strong distaste for that particular vocal minority.

Like I said: Cesspool.

15. Takeshi

No wonder most PC gamers are regarded as whinny bitches.

Developer makes a crap port to PC:
    Gamers – “what the fuck is this shit, fuck you [insert developer]!”

Developer makes an effort to make a better PC game:
    Gamers – “lol those features should be standard in a PC game, assholes!”

I love a good PC-only game (Hard Reset) or just a good PC game (Witcher 2, Deus Ex Human Revolution). But do show a bit of appriciation for developers trying mend past work.

16. NiceFellow

Personally I’ll support a developer admitting mistakes and setting out their stall to do better over a developer that doesn’t even recognize the problem.

This is a positive move for me and I don’t get why people would whine because they’re trying to better support a specific platform. So many other developers are happy to dump console designed GUIs and approaches on PC ports that we should be positive when a developer promises not to and to actually properly tailor and optimize their title for the PC platform.

At least that’s how I see it.

17. Chrisgo

Claptrap poured his heart out to all of you and you just slap him in the face, for shame.

18. Thraxan

Thank god for push to talk! I am sick to death of DLing everything someone says. Yes I can change the volume but it still means I am downloading through VOIP and when I have a DL limit for each month tis fked up.

BL2 ftw!