Runic CEO looks forward to the end of boxes and discs, says “Kill them with fire”

Friday, 16th March 2012 18:13 GMT By Dave Oshry

Yeah, you tell ‘em! We don’t need no stinkin’ boxes or discs! Not as long as Runic Games can continue to sell millions of copies of Torchlight digitally, right?!

In a recent interview with Gaming Nexus (spotted by Beefjack) Runic CEO Max Schaefer was asked about what he looked forward to the most in 2012 from an industry standpoint.  He replied in part:

“I look forward to the end of boxes and disks. Kill them with fire for all I care. The retail market has historically starved developers and narrowed the market for available games. Now we need to take advantage of services like Steam with innovative pricing, business models, and games.”

When asked what makes Runic different, he went on to say:

“We don’t want an empire. We just want to carve out a niche where we can provide great games with incredible value.”

Hear, hear!  I think Max Schaefer and Obsidian’s Chris Avellone (who recently said he’d like to go all digital and stab the used games market in the heart) should get together and have a beer, on me.

1. LOLshock94

its 2012 and hes still using that meme…what a faggot

2. Dave Oshry

@1 Given the success of Runic and Torchlight I’d say he has earned the right so use outdated memes ^__^

3. Se_7_eN

How about the Runic CEO says something about how his game goes from

“We will release before the end of 2011 NO MATTER WHAT, unless one of our team members die…”

to absolutely no word on what the fuck is going on with Torchlight 2 as of March 16th, 2012…

4. _LarZen_

Box over digital ANY day…

5. Froseidon

Some people (me included) like having physical copies of everything. Personally, I have nothing against downloads, but if I could get a physical copy for the same price (or even just slightly higher), then I would.

6. DSB

Yup, Schaefer nailed it.

Boxed can’t compete with digital toe-to-toe. For the same reason industrialization beat manual labor. High cost, low yield. This time it’s digitalization.

7. NeoSquall

Make boxed releases only for Collector’s and Limited Editions and price digital games LESS than the actual standard, then you may sound less like an asshole, Schaefer.

8. noherczeg

#3

IMHO it’ll be out before D3. We all know that these two aren’t really the same, but the genre is similar, so I think if they want money too, not just respect than they have to release it before the competition.

9. NeoSquall

@8 If Runic wants to release Torchlight 2 before Diablo III they should spill the beans about it by tomorrow: the iron has been pretty cold lately, this means they are either going to boost it at E3 (June, after D3) or they just don’t have a clue on when, or how, release it.

10. Talyis

If this ever happens, they either have to sell harddrives much cheaper with more storage space or something or sadly I won’t be buying nearly as many games as I do now! I hate having to deleted games or movies for space. That why I love physical copies plus I love collecting them and digital is just not as reliable, I cant sell or trade it if I am really hurting for money or showing off my collection to my friends. Well if we go all digital it should be required for them to send us something physical as a bonus in the mail! Well back on topic, until PC’s and console carry much more storage space I say no, my PS3 is 120gb and it’s always completely full and I have to delete stuff all the time and my gaming PC is 1tb and its almost full, storage problem needs fixed first or they need to find a way to use less memory for games!

11. Phoenixblight

“they either have to sell harddrives much cheaper with more storage space or something”

They already do I was able to buy 2 TB for 50$.

” I cant sell or trade”

Thats the point of publishers wanting to go digital to remove the middle man and to stop the billion dollar industry of used games.

“Well if we go all digital it should be required for them to send us something physical as a bonus in the mail!”

Yeah because Steam, Direct2Drive, Origin, Onlive totally do this already amirite?

12. DSB

Plus, brick and mortar takes 70%, digital takes 30%. Or 0% if you make your own client.

13. Dead Bones

I’ll take a proper boxed copy — that is, without restrictive online DRM — over a digital one any day. This also goes for other things, like films and music.

Funny thing is, you can often get games significantly cheaper from physical stores than through services like Steam, Origin, or GFWL, even if the game actually uses one of them for its DRM. I thought it was supposed to be the other way around!

Or, at least, that’s how it works in some countries.

14. silkvg247

@4/5 can we swap houses then? I ran out of physical space a long time ago.

15. sh4dow

i know about another thing they could kill with fire for all i care… like the servers of companies who stand for such nonsense.

what did gandhi say? “an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.”
    well… once it’s done, we can still enjoy some music. blame the people who started with the poking. because there’s also:
    “you’ll be a slave your whole life if you take shit from everyone” -me

and here’s a list of companies with similar attitudes (not just this subject but general “screw consumer rights”-views):