Second Life and Linden Lab may be getting its second wind

Thursday, 15th March 2012 16:31 GMT By Dave Oshry

Think Second Life is dead? Think Linden Lab can’t score another hit? Not if their new CEO has anything to say about it.

According to Massively thanks to an interview on GamesIndustry, Rod Humble, who stepped into the role as Linden Lab’s CEO last year, saw an “extremely profitable” world that has 1 million monthly users and generates over $75 million a year.

This is due in no small part to the fact that Humble has spent most of his time at the company working on ways to improve Second Life.  Everything from character transportation to the in game UI has been updated, and this seems to have sparked a resurgance in users as Linden Lab has reported a 40% increase in new users since Humble came aboard.

However, Humble isn’t content to rest upon the steady success of Second Life.

“Linden Lab has been very successful with one innovative product, but I want to stretch the company out again, to make it a really exciting place where people can’t wait to find out about the next unusual title we’re going to release.”

Only time will tell if Humble can work his magic on a future Linden Lab creation, but here’s to hoping it’s as innovative and addictive as Second Life once was.

1. Mike

Their

I’d forgotten all about 2nd Life. Thought it was dead.

2. drakeo

show me the money and the numbers or don’t waist my virtual time . I am not blind I see the lands up for sale and the decline in islands .
    so long thanks for all the fish

3. Skip Oceanlane

I have news for you – Second Life is alive and well. I run Capital Exchange Stock Market Simulation Game (www.slcapex.com). We have traded over L$100,000,000 ($400,000 US) in virtual stock in 2011. So things are still going strong with the Second Life economy even though there are still a few issues with virtual land prices within the game.

Skip Oceanlane
    CEO and Majority Shareholder
    Capital Exchange

4. Robert69 Little

After enduring 3 months of abuse/attacks without any response to Abuse Reports (crashing sims, lost my venue, money, deformed avatar using scripts just to name a few) by a small army of griefers (two of which have over 6 or 7 accounts each).. I would like to know when these griefer problems will end. They are ruining Second Life and driving away paying members and forcing venues to close down. How many more people and venues will become victims of griefers before someone gets this under control?! I would like reopen my live music venue without living in fear of being under attacks every time we host an event.

5. Robert69 Little

This man is on a mission to ruin Second Life.. and doing a good job at it too.. from a griefers point of view.. with claims he can create a million accounts. Second Life used to be alot of fun….Hopefully someday Linden Lab will make Second Life a fun place to go again without griefers causing problems.

RoryTheRapist aka Admiral Hurricane
    Linden Lab has no control of Griefers in Second Life.

He has had several accounts deleted within the past week.

6. Robert69 Little

($75 million a year?!) and they can not control griefers disrupting business for live music venues?! Fix the system so people can NOT keep logging in using generated fake IP addresses?! Somethings wrong with this picture.

7. Robert69 Little

Game or no game.. anyone creating a name such as “RoryTheRapist Resident” should be investigated…how dare someone show that amount of disrespect of anyone that has been raped by creating a name like that? How are we to know this person really isn’t a rapist? Why would anyone in their right mind do something like this?! Grief me inworld, cause me to lose a venue and money….now attack rape victims as well?!

8. Robert69 Little

Nymiral (babberpoo) and RoryTheRascal aka Admiral and Nym 8-21-2012.. The only pleasure these two know is disrupting the lifes of others in Second Life…Isn’t it sad that Linden Lab has no
    control over griefer accounts?!