DICE says lack of BF3 DLC is due to focus on quality and happy employees

Thursday, 15th March 2012 16:00 GMT By Dave Oshry

Battlefield 3′s latest DLC, “Close Quarters“, has just been announced but hardcore BF3heads have been wondering why there hasn’t been a more steady stream of DLC.
According to DICE’s Alan Kertz, as reported by MP1st via Reddit, the big reason DLC has taken so long is:

“that we pushed hard on BF3, and lots of developers pushed vacations, parental leave and other things for a while to ship a product they could be proud about. After that was done, it takes a while to get people back into the office and up to speed” and that it’s, “better from our perspective to wait a bit on the DLC and deliver quality content with plans to deliver different types of content for different types of players over the lifetime of BF3, rather than hurry one map out.”

So there you go.  If you’ve been wondering why BF3 DLC doesn’t come out as fast as CoD DLC, it’s because DICE likes to focus on quality and give their employees a break every now and then.  I think we can all agree that’s just fine.

1. YoungZer0

Good priorities. Who needs DLC when the produced is still flawed and buggy?

Who, i ask you, Rocksteady?!

2. freedoms_stain

Bullshit alert.

They haven’t been able to put out dlc because they’ve been trying to fix their unfinished game. That’s the fucking crux.

3. Mystic Sage

@ #2 BF3 may have it’s issues but still a much more smooth and complete game then every clone copy of COD what is the same exact game just different skins.

4. Maximum Payne

My comment was deleted ? O.o

5. DSB

@2 Good call. I wouldn’t mind them shifting the patching and balancing into high gear over releasing this sort of thing. Make BF3 what it should be, then expand on it.

@3 You could be right about MW3, but traditionally DICE have released games that are far buggier than Infinity Ward, even if it doesn’t behoove the internet hivemind. It took a month before BC2 was clear of gamebreaking bugs.

6. LOLshock94

@3 haha your an idiot, cod may be shit but one thing its not as thats buggy.

7. ghostzero

It’s not that hard to release a game without bugs when you release the same game on the same engine over and over again. I’d take a new engine with growing pains in the form of bugs and a development team that gives players new experiences than yesteryear’s engine supported by an uninspired development team replacing the maps in last years game and slapping a 3 at the end of the title to please its shareholders.

8. TheWulf

I really can’t see VG24/7 doing that. They’re pretty cool about letting people actually speak their minds and be passionate, rather than forcing everyone to act like they have a 20 foot pole jammed up their arse (as some sites would insist upon).

It’s most likely a commenting system glitch. I’ve had them with edits.

9. lama

lack of dlc? is dlc a requirement these days? id rather have the full game for 60 bucks.

10. Mystic Sage

@5 True BF games are usually released with more bugs but look at the scale and physics involved with there franchise over a COD game.Of course they are going to have more bugs they have alot more complex things going on. Although BF franchise has always had issues with there party/grouping system. But look at COD there games are the same thing every year and day one are constantly being hacked so people can prestige and cheat leaderboards as well as hacking and glitching in matches. The lag and glitching in COD matches is ridiculous I would take a the bugs BF brings any day over the hacking going on in COD games.

@6 No your the idiot sure BF may have more bugs but like I said it is a way more complex game with way more coding so of course it will. Atleast in BF most the matches you get into there isn’t going to be someone hacking,glitching, or some kind of lag which is rampant in COD games.

11. endgame

Priority should be fixing and balancing the game. Which is taking them a lot. I wouldn’t want them to move on (as in creating new content) until they do that. But I would want them to release the damn patch already.

Also I don’t think a game really needs DLC if it’s a good and complete experience. Having said that I think Battlefield 3 needs more DLC. :) The average quality of the initial maps is.. well, average. BFBC2 had much better maps. Every time I go back to it I still enjoy those.. maps. (I’m sorry for repeating the word so many times. :)) And then it got an awesome map pack. In Battlefield 3 I mostly enjoy the Back to Karkland maps.

12. DSB

@10 Cheating isn’t isolated to CoD, it happens in pretty much any online shooter, and quite arguably, the pace of CoD means that a lot of people feel like they’re getting cheated because they go head to head with people who have better reflexes from playing more, or playing the past games.

I think the MW3 multiplayer is a real step back for the balancing, they took some of the worst things about the previous one and made them even worse, but I think Zampella and West were outdoing DICE every step of the way when it came to ensuring a solid, competitive shooter in terms of balancing. It was never perfect, but it was consistently solid.

A major reason why I’ve decided to take it easy with BF3 is cheating though. Given how poorly Punkbuster has worked for them in the past, I’m surprised they went that way, and it still doesn’t have killcams so you can record and confirm it when it happens.

It’s fair enough to list features, and arguably BF3 is a beautiful, diverse game that looks and feels great, but what matters to me is ultimately how well it fits together. BF3 has a lot of balancing to go before it’ll be the game it’s meant to be, and sadly that’s been a problem for DICE for some time now. With Infinity Ward lowering the bar with MW3, I think the top spot is theirs for the taking, but to really earn it, they need to start caring about the details, and they need to start doing it yesterday.

This stuff matters if you want people to spend hundreds of hours playing the game and working to become good at it.