Rumour: Ten days before GAME enters administration, Walmart looking at takeover

Wednesday, 14th March 2012 15:11 GMT By Johnny Cullen

GAME has just ten days to save itself from going into administration, but has been contacted by US retailer Walmart about a possible takeover from the latter.

Both of these claims have been reported this afternoon by MCV.

The first report earlier suggested the US chain, which owns UK supermarket Asda, had contacted the specialist UK games store about a potential acquisition.

US specialist GameStop, Hilco and OpCapita, who owns UK electronics chain Comet, have all been linked to a takeover in some form. Earlier this afternoon, Blueshore Global Equity bought an 8% share in GAME.

The second story from the trade outlet rumoured that GAME just has ten days to save itself from going into administration. Day of judgement is set to be March 25 when payment on the leases of its outlets are due.

Senior staff had been previously told to prep for the possibility of administration.

GAME has refused to comment on both stories.

1. GrimRita

I really do feel for those on the shop floor working at GAME reading all these ‘reports’. If they had any sense, they will look to work elsewhere.

Knowing how the GAME board are, they wont tell a soul – who will turn up to find the shutters down and the company gone.

If Walmart do purchase GAME, will their prices come down, since they will have huge buying power which could be a good deal for gamers but I dont see any pigs flying outside my window

2. Johnny Cullen

Top of the site in two seconds.

3. DrDamn

Potentially. Asda is part of Walmart and their general prices are better than Game – but is that just to get you into the store?

4. nikk900

@1 It’s funny, because I work in gamestation, and everybody tells me I should quit now. But why would I quit when I can get money from being made redundant and get a load of games and consoles on the last day.

5. GrimRita

All I am saying is, that staff need to keep their options open. If you do get made redundant, there is no guarantee that you will get a bean. By the sounds of it, GAME have a huge rent bill to pay and I am guessing that the landlords will get priority(rightly or wrongly) over staff getting their wages.

Its a tough call but if I was working there, I would at least be looking around incase anything decent is around.

Either way, good luck and I seriously hope everything works out for you.