Retake Mass Effect petition backers raise $38,000 for charity

Wednesday, 14th March 2012 04:17 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Fans demanding BioWare change the ending of Mass Effect 3 have decided to prove their seriousness with a charity fundraiser.

Retake Mass Effect organisers launched a ChipIn page, with all donations going to Child’s Play, the gamer-centric charity which provides games and toys to hospitalised children.

The donation drive is described as “community driven effort to bring positive attention to our petition for an alternate ending to the fantastic Mass Effect series”.

“We would like to dispel the perception that we are angry or entitled. We simply wish to express our hope that there could be a different direction for a series we have all grown to love,” it reads.

The fundraiser has already garnered over $$37,533 in about 24 hours, and will run through April 11. The total has more than doubled in the last hour as word spreads.

Retake Mass Effect has requested BioWare alter Mass Effect 3′s ending through a patch or DLC. The movement has been widely debated with strong arguments on both sides raising issues of gamer entitlement, the cost of games, invested time and emotional commitment.

Thanks, Gamefront.

1. Brenna Hillier

I’ve updated this article because in the last hour the total has more than doubled.

2. Zibanitum

Please don’t forget there is also a matter of holding game developers and producers to their word. One cannot offer one product, deliver another and expect a paying customer to be happy. Consumers have rights.

Some developer quotes from pre-release

“There are many different endings. We wouldn’t do it any other way. How
    could you go through all three campaigns playing as your Shepard and
    then be forced into a bespoke ending that everyone gets? But I can’t say
    any more than that…”

“Whether you’re happy or angry at the ending, know this: it is an
    ending. BioWare will not do a “Lost” and leave fans with more questions
    than answers after finishing the game.”

“I honestly think the player base is going to be really happy with the
    way we’ve done it. You had a part in it. Every decision you’ve made will
    impact how things go. The player’s also the architect of what happens.”

The product we payed for was not delivered, we DO have a right to ask (we demand nothing, we simply would like to be heard) they deliver it.

3. Maugrimm

Thanks for covering our little charity drive. When I was the 17th donor bringing up our grand total to $377 I never thought it would get this big. One of the things we want to make clear is that instead of going negative like Kotaku or IGN we wanted to go positive and do something good with all the energy building up. And you know how us gamers can be, we always want to get the highest score! Gamefront also had an excellent article summarizing the very real and legitimate issue the ME3 endings have as is http://www.gamefront.com/mass-effect-3-ending-hatred-5-reasons-the-fans-are-right/

4. brian_guilbert

I am just simply proud to be part of the Mass Effect gaming community. I had never expected people could be so vocal and not in my wildest dreams had I ever imagined that something like this…a collection of nearly 30 k bucks could be made for a game.

5. endgame

@3 Wait a second. What if I like my ending? What if I don’t want anything to be changed? At least wait until people finish the game! See what everyone has to say about it. Not all of us have enough time to finish it in 3 days like you guys did.

6. Gurdil

@2 you DO have several endings… You can choose between three “main endings” that each have several versions, with smaller details being different. So that might be underwhelming but BioWare didn’t lie: you basically have several endings.

7. YoungZer0

@6: But not really; It’s pretty much the same, only the color is different. None of the decisions matter. So it’s the same for everyone. The details are little to none.

8. viralshag

Agree with #7. There is little to no difference between the endings and my decisions throughout each game has had no effect on the final outcome. I know this because every one, no matter how they played, has been given the same endings.

For a game which has the main selling point as choice and options, it seems sad that at the very final hurdle everything you have done prior to that point means very little.

9. Gurdil

@7, 8 yes I have read the gamefront piece between the moment I replied and now, I thought the endings were different depending on your final choice so that’s really disappointing. But, as I state in the comments section of the article about Bioware’s director quotes, the fact that your choices don’t make a big difference on the ending is sensible even if frustrating. I mean, the whole universe is at stake and you chose the fate of all races, so whether or not you chose to save a civilization cannot have a direct impact on the ending sequence (not talking about the part where everyone comes to Earth but the very ending sequence where you’re basically alone with the AI). And once again, the ending seems to deal with determinism so…

And last but not least, I’d like to remind you that bioware wants to exploit this universe further so some doors had to be left open, hence the many loose ends.

10. YoungZer0

@9: Open doors? Mass Effect 1′s ending was leaving doors open, so was the ending of Mass Effect 2 and now this? I sure as hell expect a MMORPG next, but a little closure wouldn’t have hurt.

11. Gurdil

@10 That’s what everyone seems to guess, yes. I hope you’re all wrong, I’ve grown sick of MMORPGs. But that sure would be a good universe to set a MMORPG in.

12. brian_guilbert

That they would make our beloved Mass Effect into a MMORPG has been one my worst fears ever since they said they had plans for the universe after ME3. I just hope that does not happen. MMORPGs are a bane, and have a knack for ruining stories and ‘retconning’ canon. SWTOR is a fine example.

I wish they’ll churn out some nice post-ending DLC to give closure and tie up the loose ends, then stick with prequels, or at the most try their hand at RTS set in the ME universe.

13. Phoenixblight

And how would a post-ending work?

*SPOILERS**SPOILERS**SPOILERS**SPOILERS**SPOILERS**SPOILERS*

Sheperd is Dead the only post ending they could do is that your character you would play as is just an observer to see the aftermath of Sheperds choice. I wouldn’t pay for that either. I want to play Shepherd not just some guy. I will only be buying the single player DLC that happens prior to ending not after.

14. Gurdil

@12, 13 Shepard doesn’t die in all endings. I think THAT is the biggest barreer to a post-ending DLC

15. Phoenixblight

Actually, you know what? They can’t. When you beat the game it does not continue after the ending it goes right before all that stuff happens so your point is made invalid.

Even if they did do it they would be limiting the player base further because it would be only for those that had choosen the one ending in order to play the post-ending DLC. Yeah people will enjoy that pour more salt and vineagar on the wound of already pissed fans.

16. bo_7md

@15 somehow I don’t see death as a problem seeing as i played ME2 and that’s what they did. It’s a SCI-FI that is what they do, use sketchy/Grey areas of science to do what they want with the story.

17. Gurdil

@15 oh yes you’re right, didn’t even think about the coming back prior to the final battle! And I’m with you on the limiting of the player base, that’s why I said it seemed impossible to me to do a post-ending DLC.

18. bo_7md

@17 could be a save based DLC, e.g. DA:Origins Dlcs, or one that adds to the original game rather than post game.

19. Phoenixblight

Again it would fall under pissing fans off because you can only use that plot device once. You do it more and you are just digging yourself in a bigger hole. As I said the game puts you back before the end game happens unlike ME2 which lets you continue after the collector ship. Bioware will only be doing MP and SIngle player DLC that happens before the endgame.

“could be a save based DLC, e.g. DA:Origins Dlcs”

All of Origins DLC were apart from post game. They just allowed you to play them within a module if you beat the game but none of the choices of the main game mattered at all just back story or flavor.

20. bo_7md

@19 I’m only guessing here but i think they weight the options and saw it is better to be illogical and send players before the end than go game over and screw players who didn’t know that this might happen.

Imagine 30+ hours gone down the drain! and there is always a “Everyone dies” kind of ending in big games so should players who in their first play through screwed up get a game over? Personally ill go illogical.

21. Phoenixblight

I am telling you this how how the game works and is constructed so if there is DLC it will be before the end game. You obviously have not beat the game or saw all the ending two of them there is no sheperd coming back he is gone literally.

22. bo_7md

@21 Yes I still have some of it left I’m Playing as little as i can. I have time off work soon and i want to leave the bulk of the game for that ^_^.

As for the Ending itself i watched some of them on youtube , if that counts for anything, I wanted to see what the fuss was about.

as for the comment about alienating the fans who didn’t get that ending, well to be honest if you only played it once and were content with that one ending, you are “most likely” not buying the DLC. Some people just like to play once and move onto other prospects.

Apologies somehow the DLC response didn’t get posted in my previous comment.

The DA:O DLC mechanics not the content, they can use the same method but post game meaningful content.

23. Phoenixblight

Again you are limiting the player base. Look at all the DLC for all of Bioware games none of them limit the player choices for the end game they are all generalized and can just as easily happen before even the Arrival DLC. It doesn’t fit their design. They make their DLC has broad as possible so anyone can play them at any particular time within the game.

24. bo_7md

–>just to save some time: i know it is a standalone Expansion, I’m saying mechanics.

Anyways we are both making assumptions, to me both seem valid and there is still some space open for other options.

Personally I’m not saying yes or no to buying until i see what the DLC has to offer.

25. Phoenixblight

“@23 Again its save based, lets look at DA:Awak if you had previous save you start with that, other wise its a new orlisian Warden for you.”

Uh no You can import your sacrificed character in the game too. It just overwrites that ending which pissed off a lot of fans.

26. brian_guilbert

@Phoenixblight

Some retconning would obviously be required if we just consider what we all know ATM. But if they pulled a deus ex machina (literally) and created the god kid once, I’m sure they can do something similar to bring Shepard back or say that he never actually died.

I mean if they could do it to incense the fans, they can surely do it to placate them.

Edit:
    Also I don’t think many players are bothered by Shepard’s death all that much. The greatest heroes always die. What most people want I think is some closure regarding the characters and races they invested so much time in. I personally would even like a DLC from the POV of Joker (the only character certain to survive everytime) where we learned something more about the aftermath of the battle and what the future holds.

27. bo_7md

@25 and where from “Previous Save” did you get he was alive/not sac ?
    “If you had a previous save you start with that” which is what you do in DA.

Except this time the DLC checks which ending you get, which was my point when i said save based.

and again I’m not specifically discussing DA I’m just using it as an example to show how a DLC could work.

28. Gurdil

@26 Woh woh woh! The kid isn’t anything like a god!

29. brian_guilbert

Well a synthetic god maybe.

30. brian_guilbert

The BSN poll just reached 40 k for a new ending.

31. Gurdil

@29 he’s an AI, he was created (or should I say it? whatever) to organize things so that the organics aren’t wiped out from the galaxy. It’s a logical explanation (not a very good one though, it would seem). A god-like intervention would not be a logical explanation. That’s why I felt it was important to stress the difference.

32. Phoenixblight

40k is nothing to even mention it took them the entire weekend to get to that point. If EA wasn’t going to listen to a 500k petition what do you think will give Bioware the idea to listen to 40k out of the couple of million consumers.

33. brian_guilbert

3.5 mill to 4 mill I think. 40 k is no more than 1 % I agree. Nonetheless, considering how many number of Mass Effect players actually frequent the BSN and how many have already finished the game, that number holds weight.

34. Phoenixblight

Not enough to warrant a change. Like Casey had stated he wanted an ending to be talked about and be polarized well he got that. Having Bioware make the “real” ending is telling consumers if I whine and complain long enough I get what I want and tell publishers that they can cut pieces of the original game and then sell it off as DLC. And what if this new ending isn’t up to snuff? People will continue to complain. The result people always complain. Bioware is the developer not the fans. If this ending has disappointed you that much go imagine a new one and don’t buy another Bioware game.

35. brian_guilbert

How about you stop with the personal advice about what people should or should not purchase?

This time it isn’t a bunch of people sitting and complaining or whining. Look at the title of the article. Go check out the page. See how much they’ve donated.

A $10 DLC about the size of LotSB. That’s 400 k bucks right there for BW. Add to that a very very conservative estimate of everyone else who’ll purchase it when they hear it offers post game content and you can easily treble the amount.

A post ending DLC is coming all right. Wait and watch.

36. OrbitMonkey

Yep, Shepard the Clone Years dlc heading this way ;-)

37. Phoenixblight

Oh I will but after talking to my teacher (who worked on ME3 until he transferred to TOR team) today they currently do not have plans to change the ending. SO as of right now Bioware is not looking into it they have plans for more SP DLC and MP and as leaked the next DLC will be more maps, classes and races for the MP.

Btw that money the charity has is not enough to warrant anything. 150 members * monthly wage * amount of time to create it but at least it goes to a charity so it goes to an actual good cause.

38. YoungZer0

@37: Today maybe not, but tomorrow? If Casey really wants us to believe that he cares for the fanbase then he has to do something about that embarrassing ending.

39. Phoenixblight

THats subjective because if it was really that horrible funds like this one or the petition would have blown up like they had for Tim Schaeffer’s game. They already have two DLCs being developed on at the moment one being that MP and another SP content. Obviously this stuff has not made them stop and think or redirect their DLC development.

40. DSB

@38 I think he’s totally fine lying about how much he cares for the fanbase. He’s laughing all the way to the bank.

41. brian_guilbert

Maybe you can ask your teacher what the single player DLC is all about then? I’m sure the fanbase will have a cookie for you for the early info. :D

42. Phoenixblight

Might as well ask if I can have an A for doing nothing the result will be the same.

43. YoungZer0

@39: “Obviously this stuff has not made them stop and think or redirect their DLC development.”

They have time.

44. Stephany Nunneley

Post updated with new monetary figure.

45. sg1974

Jesus fucking Christ people get girlfriends. Jobs. Buy a book. Anything. Just stop this ridiculous waste of human energy.