BioWare director stands by Mass Effect 3 ending, promises single-player DLC

Wednesday, 14th March 2012 05:27 GMT By Brenna Hillier

BioWare’s Casey Hudson stands by the “polarizing” ending of Mass Effect 3, which has been the focus of furious fan criticism.

In an interview with Digital Trends, the director said he planned for Mass Effect 3′s ending to be somewhat controversial.

“I didn’t want the game to be forgettable, and even right down to the sort of polarizing reaction that the ends have had with people–debating what the endings mean and what’s going to happen next, and what situation are the characters left in,” he said.

“That to me is part of what’s exciting about this story. There has always been a little bit of mystery there and a little bit of interpretation, and it’s a story that people can talk about after the fact.”

People are certainly talking about the ending; some are so distressed by it that they have launched a surprisingly hefty campaign to get it changed. Despite that, Hudson stuck to his guns, saying what he’s “most proud of” is that the story “will be remembered”, and added that BioWare pays “very close attention” to fan feedback.

“It’s very important to us and we will always listen to feedback, interpret it and try and do the right thing by our fans. That’s why if you look at Mass Effect 2 we knew that people wanted to spend more time with a character like Liara, and so we created an ongoing storyline with her as part of the comics and then built it into the DLC stuff, and we’re always listening to fans,” he said.

“We have some really great multiplayer content and some really great single-player content coming over the air, and their feedback will become part of how we design that.”

Hudson gave another concrete example of how feedback has shaped the series – the inclusion of Tali and Garrus as love interests.

“From the outset, we didn’t envision them as characters that people would want to have a romance with,” he said.

“And yet they were successful as characters, and so popular amongst a lot of people that people really wanted to develop a relationship with them, so we integrated that from Mass Effect 2 and it’s become a big part of the series.”

Thanks, GameFront.

1. Aimless

Should I ever meet Casey Hudson I’ll be sure to kick him in the balls so that it’s a memorable experience for him.

2. JimFear-666

hummm technicly speaking, the game itself belong to bioware/ea… Its not a bunch of whiny bitches pathetic fanboy who have to tell them what to do with the story. They can do whatever the fuck they want with the Mass Effect story.

All these cry babies who cry about the story and the endings really need to shut the fuck up. Yeah im one of those who wasnt really happy about the ending but im not crying about it …People need to get the fuck over it. If you dont like it, stop playing it and dont buy mass effect 4 … simple as 1 2 3

3. Uncontested

I still don’t understand what everyone is so butt hurt about with the endings..

4. Zibanitum

Some developer quotes from pre-release

“There are many different endings. We wouldn’t do it any other way. How
    could you go through all three campaigns playing as your Shepard and
    then be forced into a bespoke ending that everyone gets? But I can’t say
    any more than that…”

“Whether you’re happy or angry at the ending, know this: it is an
    ending. BioWare will not do a “Lost” and leave fans with more questions
    than answers after finishing the game.”

“I honestly think the player base is going to be really happy with the
    way we’ve done it. You had a part in it. Every decision you’ve made will
    impact how things go. The player’s also the architect of what happens.”

Maybe some of us ‘Butt-hurt whiny bitches’ will, as responsible consumers, expect a company to live up to the promises they made in the first place to get our money. We were offered apples, we payed for apples, we did not even get oranges, we got lemons.

5. brian_guilbert

Nice to see Mr. Hudson is finally saying ‘something’. That’s the first step.
    The thing about the DLC sounds good. Hope is kindled.

lol @Aimless. Priceless first comment to the article.

6. im commander shephard

Check out this review of the endings by Ross Lincon, explians excellently why mass effect fans are so unhappy with the ending to mass effect 3. Give him your support and hopefully bioware will take notice.

Shephard Out

7. im commander shephard

@Uncontested

Have a read

8. YoungZer0

@4: Glad to read that. Just confirms my believe that they were running out of time. The biggest hint is the slow motion black and white scenes from the crew member during Shepards sacrifice. Joker, Anderson, Liara. That’s the one i had. That’s the one most people had from what i could see on Youtube.

Why those 3? Tell you what, if they would’ve shown just all crew member in that style, i’d be okay with it. It would still be a Lost, but i’d be okay with it.

This however is just half-assed and really tells me that they didn’t bother. They did pull a Lost, no question about it.

The Screen after the Credits?

“Commander Shepard has become a legend by ending the Reaper threat. Now you can continue to build that legend through further gameplay and downloadable content.”

Kind of reminds me off:

“CONGLATURATION !!!

YOU HAVE COMPLETED
    A GREAT GAME.

AND PROOVED THE JUSTICE
    OF OUR CULTURE.

NOW GO AND REST OUR
    HEROES !”

9. Gman_28

Quote: “It’s very important to us and we will always listen to feedback, interpret it and try and do the right thing by our fans”

Well as long as Mr Hudson is able to ‘interperet’ the very simple message that the fans are communicating then hopefully we’ll see some sort of middle ground reached through one of the single player DLCs.

Personally I didn’t hate the endings, I just thought they were rushed. Shephard dying was inevitable and I think a nice, tree hugging, flowers and bunnys ending would have been a bad move, however there were too many mistakes and inconsistencies. Simply making the endings make sense would be enough for me and i think the majority of fans.

10. silkvg247

Cashing in on DLC to better end a series? Who’d a thought it?

11. endgame

Well, I’m not going to read anything on this page because I don’t want to find out any spoilers but at the moment I’m happy with Casey’s decision. So far the game has been nothing short of awesome and I’m sure the ending will be the same. This Bioware team gave us the best game (trilogy) of all times (At least that’s what Mass Effect is for me.) and even though some PC textures are 20 years old (I mean it. Think of the Rachni queen!) and some content was held away from us I still have the utmost respect for these guys. I’m really grateful for what they’ve done. I spent my last money on ME3 (I have only 3 euros left in my bank account at the moment.) and I’m really happy with what I’ve seen in the game so far.

12. YoungZer0

@11: “So far the game has been nothing short of awesome and I’m sure the ending will be the same.”

That’s exactly what i thought, till i got to the end. Play it to the end and then we can talk.

The ending is so bad, that it nearly ruined the entire series for me.

13. Gurdil

@12 Ok then maybe you can explain it to me: what annoyed you so much? Is that because it’s not a “happy ending” with all characters having babies? I don’t get it. Whatever final choice you make, it suits the character. I guess three “main endings” is a bit underwhelming but the endings in and of themselves are not THAT disappointing to me.

Edit: Just read the Gamefront piece about it, I agree with two of the plot holes (the other ones aren’t plot holes but misunderstandings), one of which I couldn’t have spotted since you have to play The Arrival DLC to acquire the “knowledge” that makes the plot hole what it is. But then again, it’s sci-fi. I haven’t ONCE read/watched/played a sci-fi thing in which I couldn’t spot at least 2 or 3 major plot holes. As for the “philosophical themes” bit, I would argue that philosophy is about questions, not about answers. At least that’s the way I see it so, obviously, I can’t agree with this being a problem.

14. YoungZer0

@13: I like bittersweet Endings, i really, really do. I think it was totally fine for Shepard to sacrifice himself for the greater good. It definitely fits the tone of the game and the character.

What doesn’t fit is that none of the decisions you ever made impact the ending in any way. You get to choose the Ending, not by dialogs, but by just walking towards it. Did you like that?

The biggest selling point of the series was that every decision had an impact. Everything you do.

Why should i give a fuck about the Geth and the Quarians being friends if i don’t see any of the aftermath?

How about the plotholes? Destroying the Mass Relay in ‘Arrival’ made sure that the entire System blew up in the process. Wouldn’t that mean that Shepard made sure that every System gets destroyed? How about the fact that all of the alliance can’t travel back, now that they are stranded in the Sol-System?

Ignoring the plotholes, what about my decisions? Now that i found a way to cure the genophage, what happens to the Krogan?

They pulled a Lost.

Gamefront made a good list about the many things the game did wrong:

15. Gurdil

@14 About the plotholes, I’ve edited my previous comment so my answer to you is in the edit. Just to complete it, the mass relays thing is the one I couldn’t have spotted, and the only plothole I agree on (but which isn’t really a plothole, just something that will create massive problems) is the one regarding all the races being around the Earth with no solution to get back to their homeland.

Regarding the fact that you walk to your choice, that felt a bit weird, sure, but given the choices it was kind of logical. I mean, if you want to destroy, walk to the stuff you gotta blow up, right? If you want to take control, you gotta walk to the terminal. Not very original, but sensible.

Just like you, I was frustrated at first about my decisions not really having an impact on the ending BUT it does make sense since the ending itself seems to be about determinism. Hence the “uselessness” of your previous choices. But I really do understand that it annoys people, I’m not happy with it either.

That leaves us with the Lost-esque loose ends. They are frustrating and I wish we had answers about everything but BioWare said the ME universe would go on in future games. So as long as the Shepard story is over, I guess we’ll have our other answers in future games and that makes it kind of ok.

PS: we can discuss the plotholes if you wish but the “we created synthetics to kill organics so that synthetics don’t kill organics” thing is really a misunderstanding and I have to wonder if it’s genuine or if it’s trolling.

16. Zibanitum

@13 Bioware broke faith with it’s customers by doing exactly what they said they would not do. I can’t see why you wouldn’t understand why this might upset some people. If we trust the word of someone who then lies to us, why can’t we take steps and ask that they hold up to their word? These are not unfounded and unrealistic expectations we have as fans. These are the explicit words of the heads of the development staff of the game.

17. Prometheus

that’s just bullshit.

just give us what we want, so stfu and take all my money

18. albo88

cry baby? im not im some one that have played mass effect loading my save games from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 and yeah its shit
    that’s all i have to say

19. ManuOtaku

the people that complain about the ending in this game, then all of you stay far away from anime as possible.

20. Phoenixblight

I like the ending I found it to be exactly what I wanted and I would not buy the DLC that is forced on them because fans “demanded” it so it removes the creativity and the quality that Bioware themself had put into it. I don’t want a fan service ending because some people didn’t get their Disney ending. Use your imagination. Not everything has to be taken so literal.

21. LOLshock95

@20 Your taste in videogames SUCKS !!

22. DSB

@4 It’s funny how most of the ME3 criticism just reminds me of how I felt about ME2. It’s weird, because I remember being pretty much alone in feeling completely fucked over as a fan of the original. People generally did not like anyone critisizing that game either :P

@8 They actually wrote that at the end of the credits?

How have the mighty fallen.

23. Gurdil

@16 I understand that you think Bioware broke faith with its customers, I just don’t understand HOW. They said there would be multiple endings and… Well there are. Ok they’re quite similar (please note I thought the “control” and “destroy” endings were deeply different when I wrote the first comment) and I understand gamers can feel frustrated (I did at first, for like thirty seconds) but there was no blatant lie involved.

24. viralshag

@20, I would say I’m surprised that you like the ending but I’m totally not. And while I’m sure it’s still a minority that are unhappy with the ending, it’s still a minority that cannot really be ignored and written off as “cry babies” and “fanboy rage”.

And the Gamefront article is an extremely good example that accurately shows the ending of ME3 is lacking the “creativity and the quality” that Bioware haven given to the ME story in almost every part except the final 20 minutes or so.

25. DSB

@24 http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2012/03/protests-over-ending-of-mass-effect-3-show-fan-investment-in-story-control.ars

Pretty much the same sentiment.

Personally I have to say I agree with the author of that piece. Mass Effect was never an RPG masterclass to me. It was always pretty linear, and the morality was always pretty arbitrary. What it was though, was a truly great scifi yarn.

For me it all fell apart with ME2, sadly. There were just too many inconsistencies and half measures leading to plot holes that you can drive a truck through. It was like they took something that was destined to become a real epic and made it into Firefly.

26. viralshag

@23, They’re about as different as a green apple is to a red one. It has more to do with everyone getting a choice of three stock endings rather than ending that is accumulative to all the choices made prior to that point.

27. GwynbleiddiuM

I liked my ending a lot, after redoing it (same ending btw) but, I still don’t like the concept of wiping advanced organics so the synthetics wont eradicate life from the universe. That’s not logical to me.

I understand the rage people having because so very few times you find yourself a universe that you connect with wholeheartedly, there are so few universes that have such characters that you crave to know more about them, and very few universes happened to have a great protagonist that you grow with and their sacrifices or joy makes you wanna cry and makes your heart bleed. The first time I was enraged with how my Shepard had to sacrifice himself in order to save everything he fought for so hard for, I literally cried, but still was mad about the catalyst thing and am, that underwhelming encountered ruined it all.

28. Gurdil

@26 yes, I understand that and I respect this opinion (of course). But I’m with DSB on this one, ME has always been about a little number of choices that have noticeable differences (but not really game-changing ones), it’s never been a Role Playing masterpiece and I’m surprised some people seem to realize it just now.

And once again, I’d like to remind you that Bioware wants to do more games in the ME universe. So, let’s pretend they did very different endings like one where the mass relays don’t burst. How would they do another game (except by making it a prequel)? The only choice they’d have had would have been to say at the beginning of ME4 “well you made choices that had drastically different consequences but, hey, we’re 2000 years later now and whatever the choice you made, mass relays were all destroyed for whatever reason (or rebuilt for whatever reason) so now deal with it”. I think this would have been way worse!

29. Phoenixblight

“I don’t think it has anything to do with people not getting a “Disney ending” but the fact that the ending, in comparison to almost every other part of ME, is severely lacking in everything that has made the series what it is.”

Because the ME2 was that much better? You choose to destroy the collector ship or not when in the end of ME3, it didn’t matter at all. Cerberus was still able to collect pieces and utilize the tech. SO what I guess these fans really want compared to the ME3 ending is better smoke and mirrors so the illusion of choice is still there. The single ending has drastically killed replay value. I don’t see myself replaying the game at least not for a while until I want to re-experience it once again because I have forgotten stuff. THats their choice to do the single ending but I didn’t find it awful like these fans protest. You want to talk about a horrible game ending play Rage or Borderlands.

30. YoungZer0

@28: “And once again, I’d like to remind you that Bioware wants to do more games in the ME universe.”

Who cares? This was Shepard’s story and it doesn’t have a conclusion or any sense. If they make a MMORPG, then i won’t care at all.

“So, let’s pretend they did very different endings like one where the mass relays don’t burst.”

The game could simply continue, with Shepard being a hero. Lets say it didn’t burst and there was no stupid Deus Ex Machine Ending, instead he simply stops the reapers. The End. You could just start the game after that. No problem at all. The destruction of the mass relays is just the tip of the iceberg.

The only way i’d ever be interested in a Mass Effect Game is if they release a game based on Blasto – The Hanar Spectre.

31. TheWulf

I’m leaning toward Mass Effect 2 as their best thus far, but I’m still not done with Mass Effect 3 yet, I’m taking it slow.

Though my biggest disappointment about ME3 is a silly one. But it was an outright lie from Bioware, which I’m disappointed about. Essentially, one of Bioware’s PR guys made out that any of the males in the game could become romantically attached to Shepard and went out of his way to cite Garrus.

Sadly, this doesn’t match up to ME3 itself. Way to false advertise, Bioware.

Oh well, it’s a minor thing, but still… oh how I would have loved to see that. I mean, you saw how nuts the homophobic Internet went at the Cortez relationship. Could you even begin to imagine how many buttons in the heads of these bigots a relationship with Garrus would have pushed?

It would have been entertaining to say the least.

C’est la vie.

Mass Effect 3 still has time to surprise me. I’m going to give it a fair chance. Though I was prepared for the ending being the most awful thing ever before all of you.

They should get Obsidian to write their endings for them.

32. TheWulf

“Blasto – The Hanar Spectre.”

I would play that.

33. viralshag

@28, They’re not game changing in the sense that some story plots will or will not happen but they’re certainly game-changing on a level that my Paragon playthrough is different to my Renegade playthrough. And that’s because of the decisions I made. The ME choices are not based on changing the game radically but changing your version of the story. In which it has been second to none, in my opinion.

And in reply to your future games comment, what will that be based upon anyway? Unless it’s centred around Earth? The ending in ME3 takes away one of the best parts of ME in travelling around the galaxy. You’re now limited to whatever system you happened to be in at the time of the final decision.

Not only that but what would be difference from ending ME2 with your Shep dying and not being able to continue to ME3 to that of you saving/destroying the Mass Relays to continue the story on to ME4?

34. Phoenixblight

“When it comes to both Bioware and Bethesda, both of those RPG developers are typically terribad at meaningful closure.”

I agree with this statement. Bioware can write great collection of stories but they suck at arcs of story every single one of them have been just so cliche and then tie in no closure with the choices I have made with the endings.

“I mean, you saw how nuts the homophobic Internet went at the Cortez relationship. Could you even begin to imagine how many buttons in the heads of these bigots a relationship with Garrus would have pushed?”

Yeah people are silly I thought that part in the game was fantastically written and not at all like most media forms see a gay relationship. I didn’t pursue it but just the emotion with him and his loved one was fantastic.

35. viralshag

@29, I fail to see what your point is?

“You choose to destroy the collector ship or not when in the end of ME3, it didn’t matter at all.”

Exactly. Nothing you have done up to this point matters at all. Which is why it makes it a pretty shit ending. Nothing you have done has affected the endings available. So how is that a good thing?

And I fail to see what the problem would have been with giving people an ending which ended with everyone being happy and alive? As you so rightly pointed out – “The single ending has drastically killed replay value.” I don’t see how this is a good thing?

At least a variety would tempt me to play it again to see what COULD have happened if I did things differently.

36. Phoenixblight

“Exactly. Nothing you have done up to this point matters at all. Which is why it makes it a pretty shit ending. Nothing you have done has affected the endings available. ”

No you are misunderstanding me, playing ME3 and reading the book made the ending of ME2 totally pointless. ME3 ending was not going to give you closure with that choice. Sanctuary did with totally making ME2 ending choice pointless.

Rest Read #34

Bioware endings have always been mediocre not once has Bioware delivered with endings because they are restricted by the what if this game makes a sequel then we have to carry our choices over. ME3 ending I found to be the best one.

37. Gurdil

@30 well there is an end to the Shepard story. Maybe it’s not a good one but it exists. As for the mass realays thing, I meant what if you destroyed those in one ending and not in another one. If you don’t destroy them in either ending, that’s fine, no problem to do a sequel of course.

@33 I get your point. And I find it weird too that they chose to destroy the possibility to travel between systems, but we can’t say it’s not for the best until we know what they want to do with it. And I gotta admit I completely forgot the “Shep died in ME2″ problem. How did they fix this in the end? Shep’s just back on his/her feet like nothing happened with no explanation?

38. YoungZer0

@37: If Shepard dies at the end of ME2 you can’t import that savefile.

Have you ever played the DLC Arrival? I doubt that, otherwise you’d understand what the destruction of the Mass Relay means. In Arrival you had to destroy a Mass Relay in order to delay the Reaper Invasion. The explosion destroyed the entire System. So basically Shepard destroyed the Universe at the end of Mass Effect 3.

39. Phoenixblight

*Spoiler**Spoiler*Spoiler**Spoiler**Spoiler**Spoiler**Spoiler**Spoiler*
    *Spoiler**Spoiler*Spoiler**Spoiler**Spoiler**Spoiler**Spoiler**Spoiler*
    *Spoiler**Spoiler*Spoiler**Spoiler**Spoiler**Spoiler**Spoiler**Spoiler*

There is a difference between those two. One is an asteroid being propelled against the mass relay and the other is the creator of the reapers and Mass Relay had caused the destruction by remote.

40. Gurdil

@38 I clearly stated I haven’t played the Arrival DLC, but maybe it was in the other thread, which is why I didn’t spot this as a plothole. And I read this plothole in the gamefront article. I guess that really IS a plothole, I won’t argue with that. I see Phoenixblight has an explanation but I should play the DLC to make my opinion about whether he’s right or wrong so I’ll let you two settle this ^^

Edit: oh and thanks for the info about the save file not being imported. That’s a weird way to deal with things.

41. TheWulf

I REALISED THAT THE FIRST SENTENCE HERE MAY NOT BE ENOUGH FOR PEOPLE TO STOP READING. SO THIS POST CONTAINERS SPOILERS. JUST SO YOU KNOW.

Okay, so… out of curiosity, I just watched what was considered the ‘good ending.’ I have thoughts.

So, the bit about the Citadel child was just… uh, ridiculous. (It wasn’t all bad, I’ll get to the good later, I just prefer to end on a positive note.) The catalyst being a Citadel hologram was just silly. And because of that I can’t help but think that none of what happened in the ending actually happened. It has a lot of ‘but it was a dream after all, and the reapers were mind-fucking him.’

But let’s assume that that silliness did happen. Here’s a thing: In the ‘good’ ending, the Mass Relays aren’t actually outright destroyed, just badly damaged. Now, here’s a thing to consider: The Mass Relays are like a gun (as is my understanding), you don’t need a recipient Mass Relay for them to work.

Also consider that they have the last living Prothean as an ally.

Here’s a possible scenario: Crew of the Normandy are rescued, and there’s a Mass Relay nearby. The damage isn’t as bad as it seems, and the combined knowledge of Mr. Prothean and the rest of the smartypants that tend to call the Normandy home manage to get it working in a few years.

There are always resources available near every relay, and they find that the type of damage is typical across all the relays. It could even be as simple as the Relays having burned out their equivalent of their fusebox, which needed to be repaired. With that done, they get a few Relays working again.

With the combined resources from the functioning Relays they have, they manage to get almost all the other Relays up and running again.

After this point, the Citadel is retaken and rebuilt (again).

So, essentially… who the fuck knows what follows next? I don’t. I’ll just choose to believe that this is most likely the case. If I don’t, I’d probably end up raging like everyone else.

Another possibility is that in the good ending, Shepard PURPOSEFULLY overloaded them in the way he did so that they wouldn’t be destroyed. If you watch the footage, the Relay goes critical and then shuts down.

So it basically looks like minimal damage, but all the Relays are shut down. So Shepard did create his own small case of deus ex machina. He had control of everything, and instead of letting them be destroyed, he damaged them in a very specific way.

So, yeah, the Relays could only require some minor repairs and a reboot in order for them to function again.

Maybe it’s because I’m familiar with technology as a PC user, but often problems actually look worse than they are. But with what Shepard did to the Relays, it didn’t even look that bad. It had a lot of that blown fusebox look about it.

Here, I’ll show you what I mean.

Right at the end of this section, the structure is still intact.

So yeah, that’s what I’m going with. I don’t really give a damn what Bioware intended. That’s my ending. >_>

42. Phoenixblight

“the damage isn’t as bad as it seems, and the combined knowledge of Mr. Prothean and the rest of the smartypants ”

Javik is a soldier. He doesn’t understand things like that as specifically stated so. He kills shit.

“With that done, they get a few Relays working again.”

“There are always resources available near every relay, and they find that the type of damage is typical across all the relays.”

Assuming of course that the reapers had made them locally for all we know they were created by the same tech that make the Reapers since the Catalyst was the creator of the reapers who had created the Mass Relays.

43. TheWulf

AT THIS POINT PRETTY MUCH EVERYTHING IS SPOILERS SO YOU MAY JUST WANT TO STOP READING. :P

“Javik is a soldier.”

That’s his preference. But it’s made clear a few times that he has a basic understanding of Prothean technology. That understanding could prove invaluable to the likes of Mordin and Legion.

“Been answered as well no species other than the Protheans haven been able to replicate Mass Relay technology. And no Javik didn’t know about Ilos.”

Did I say replicate? No, I said that they’d require minor repairs before they’re re-enabled.

I mean, if you’re going to get all flustered and argue with me, the least you could do is read what I said…

“Assuming of course that the reapers had made them there locally for all we know they were created by the same tech that made the Reapers since the Catalyst was the creator of the reapers who had created the Mass Relays.”

Assuming of course that the damage was so bad that it couldn’t be easily repaired with local materials.

There’s this word I want to introduce you to, it’s called ‘speculation.’ I find it fun.

I’m not surprised if I’ve already figured out Bioware’s future intent though because, quite frankly, I predicted everything.

From the first encounter with the Illusive man I realised that he’d been indoctrinated, even before I saw his husk-soldiers. I realised early on in Mass Effect 2 that the reapers were either of Prothean construction, or had something very important to do with them.

Usually, Bioware leave tells.

The fact that the Relay didn’t blow up was telling.

And hey, I’m optimistic! Leave me to my optimism.

44. Phoenixblight

“From the first encounter with the Illusive man I realised that he’d been indoctrinated, even before I saw his husk-soldiers.”

As did many other fans after reading all the books. It was quite obvious since he was doing research on indoctrination.

45. YoungZer0

@39: Yeah, the reason for the explosion maybe different, but the result could be the same. We don’t know that. That’s another reason why the ending was so bad.

We DO know that Joker was trying to get out of there as fast as possible. If the wave doesn’t do him any damage, what is he running (flying) from?

46. Phoenixblight

THat part was weird it seemed like he was in flight during relay travel what the hell was he doing going through a relay in the first place or even in space for that matter.

47. thsunami

The reason the ending was lacking was because no matter what choice you pick there was no choice just a illusion. All the ending where the same with cosmetic changes. Your actions and choices throughtout the game meant nothing. And you never even did what you where meant to save the galaxy. You end up killing close to %50 to %80 percent of all life in the galaxy (space fairing or not which was worse as the reapers only wanted to kill space fairing races ). The mass relays when the explode they take a soloar system with them ( the dlc in mass effect said that ), because the fact that most life is next to a mass relay that would mean that of what is left is killed off by you no matter what. That could also include earth, the very same planet you where fighting to protect. And also even the self sacrifice choice with saveing all life by combining mahince and organic leaves a advanced AI that belives controlling and inslaveing all life a good thing is now alive with every being in the glaxly ( of what is left ) with sthynic life within them, so thats means all life is indocrinated and enslaved the the creators of the reapers. Now tell me that a ending where nothing you did matters and all life that remains what little it may be is nothing but a slave is a good ending?

48. Theodus

Here’s the thing, I’m usually really satisfied and can see the good in most endings. I’ve loved ME1 and ME2′s endings and they’ve always given me a feeling that I want to play again. To try and experience something different. This is the only game that the ending left me feeling so beige that I just youtubed the other results because frankly I didn’t care to try and go for them. That’s not a good place to be in at the end of a trilogy of over 100 hours of total gameplay. To feel like everything up until this point, everything was just a sham and a place holder.

It didn’t matter that all my decisions came from Mass Effect 1 & 2 because anyone just picking up Mass Effect 3 and not having the attachment to Shepard, the characters and the story can get just the same result. It just feels like everything you’ve done doesn’t make a jot of difference, where was the dynamic ending from Mass Effect 2 where our decisions actively affected who lived and died?

There’s a lot of people accusing people of just wanting a “hugs and bunnies” ending, assuming that the crying is because we didn’t get to settle down and be happy. I don’t have a problem with bitter-sweet endings, but I do have a problem with a game where no matter what the player does even if they make all the right decisions that there isn’t a chance for some happiness. Even accepting that there could at least be a discussion of some kinda at the end, the love interest could talk to someone and profess to be “okay” that “(they’ll) never see Shepard again, but (they) know why it happened and are at peace with it” NO. Nothing. End. “Buy DLC, cash cows” we get told instead.

The ending wasn’t decisive and there’s a big difference between being unforgettable and being difficult to forget. I don’t usually hate on endings, good or bad, happy or sad if the ending makes me feel accomplished. For my part I would have liked a happy ending because I’m a sentimental romantic fool who happens to think the attitude of “a game needs a tragic hero who dies at the end” is getting old fast. It’s becoming it’s own cliché. Why even grow attached to these characters? I agree there should be an option or choices that lead to a greater-good heroic death, but not that is the ONLY option with 99% of the outcomes and the 1% you MIGHT be alive.

I can only sum my argument up as this, if I could go back to Mass Effect 1 again knowing what I know now of the ending and do it all again I wouldn’t romance anyone, I wouldn’t get to know or care for the characters because ultimately at the end nothing is resolved and it almost feels like it would be better not putting in that emotional attachment through the series, and that’s just sad. Rather at the end I feel like I have to reach for my wallet and pay for something, anything just to give me something. I know I’m going to buy the DLC like a sucker, not because I think it’ll be good, but because I want to and need to salvage something from this.