EA looking into sub models which “maximize” investments, get more people playing

Tuesday, 13th March 2012 14:42 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

EA Games label head Patrick Soderlund has told VentureBeat it’s “fair to say” the firm is looking at a subscription models similar to Call of Duty Elite, and how the firm can “maximize” its investments while getting more peopl playing its products.

Speaking with the site during GDC, Soderlund said like “all other companies” it’s only conductive to the business to look at any way possible to maximize both profit and public consumption.

“I think it’s fair to say that we’re looking at that,” he said. “That may take us to different places, but we’re not really talking about where that is yet.”

However, he doesn’t see a sub-service coming to the Battlefield or Medal of Honor series just to take Call of Duty “down” as, again, any decision made will have to be good for both the business and the consumer.

“When it comes to taking Call of Duty down, you know what? I don’t look at it like that,” he said. “We are in this business because we want to make the best possible products. Call of Duty is a shooter, but it’s a different shooter. And I think they have a market; we have a market. I’m fine with what I’m doing.

“I’m going to continue innovating and doing as best as I can with my teams. Hopefully that’s going to lead us to more units [sold] and more happy consumers.”

1. YoungZer0

EA looking for a new way to rip people off. How is this news?

2. DarkElfa

In an age where the only games that should be subbed, MMO’s, are going F2P, EA is planning to sub everything else.

I would tell them to make better games instead, but I forgot that today’s players don’t want better games, they want more sequels.

3. GrimRita

I think you needed to be blind not to see this coming. Forcing Origin on people and then its battlelog – its clear what EA want to do. But unlike the majority of F2P games, where you download the client for free and then pay for what you want, they want their bread buttered on both sides.

4. endgame

And we thought Activison was evil. Looks like we thought too early.

5. OlderGamer

A Nintendo Next gen system, a PS Vita(considering it for PSO2), and a PC = my next gen line up. I will be backing away from(already have) MS and Sony consoles(esp Xbox). I can easily add EA to that list. Premium sub based console games…what are they thinking?

I can see FIFA 15, 60usd for the game, and 5usd/month to use it.

Wait till they put a sub fee on sp games(or just stop offering sp experiences). It will be a required origin account, with monthly sub, in order to even use their games. Hard to see console platform holders going for it really. But i am sure MS at least will be happy to if they share the fees. Heck imagine xbl fees on top of EA subs, acti subs, whatever. Bundle deals incoming!

Great can’t wait for next gen now!!

6. DarkElfa

@4, Activision is evil, but so is EA.