Report: XBLA achievements limit set to increase to 400

Monday, 12th March 2012 07:34 GMT By Johnny Cullen

X360A is reporting that Microsoft is to expand the limit of achievements in Xbox Live Arcade titles from 200 points to 400.

Existing rules see current XBLA titles gaining 200 achievement points with a limit of 20 achievements per game from the outset. DLC currently adds 50 achievement points per quarter for a total of 350 achievement points.

The new rules now mean XBLA titles from June 1 will have to include mandatory rules, featuring 400 GS from the base game and 100 GS per quarter with DLC on up to eight achievements for a total of 800 GS.

Games that release between April 1 and May 31 on XBLA will have a choice to choose between the new and old systems, including Grasshopper’s Diabolical Pitch on April 4.

We’ve emailed Microsoft.

1. fightclubdoll

That is a very big deal… good for gamerscores and XBLA game developers alike. Welcome change indeed. =-)

2. KewreL

Seems reasonable. Since some XBLA games manage to rival most disc-based games in quality and size nowadays.

3. polygem

i´m not a huge fan of achievements/trophies. mostly they don´t really make sense to me. you can easily ignore them if you want so it´s not really a problem, but i think there should be more things to unlock, achieve in the actual game to make the game even better rather than getting some points you can show off online. super smash bros brawl gets it right imo for example. i hope that nintendo wont go the achievement path with wiiu and just concentrates on ghost data for racers, highscore showing off for certain games and maybe some mii presents that you can unlock for yourself and your friends as well as ingame content to unlock when you achieved certain things. i´d welcome the lack of achievements and embrace simplicity here.

4. drewbles82

I’m loving this as well. Some games are so long and i like beating my mates with achievement score. one more mate to beat and got me lego games to get past his score.

5. mightyhokie

I personally never focused much on my score, but it is fun to get the achievements. Once I got 20k I stopped paying attention to the score but I certainly try and get every achievement (single-player only) that I can. It adds a lot to the game if they are done right. For example, Mass Effect 2…you got achievements for using powers a certain amount of times. You couldn’t get them all in one play through. This ‘forces’ you to play again. Also, you get an achievement for paragon reaching a certain level, and renegade reaching a certain level. You also get one for reaching level 50, which can not be done in one play through. I always play the game as i would if there were no achievements, then on the following play throughs focus on getting the ones i missed. i don’t look at them on the first play through either, in case of spoilers in the achievement names. In Fallout 3 you get an achievement for reaching level 30 with good karma, one for level 30 neutral karma, and one for level 30 evil karma. That is three play throughs i did in order to get them.
    I know some folks just focus on score and will go get Avatar and NBA or whatever and get 1000 points and all achievements in one play through. Good for them but I don’t see how that is fun. It is just padding your score with crap…no real ‘achievement’ in doing that, imo. Anyone who sees you got all the achievements and points in a game like that will just think ‘so what’.
    On the flip side, there are folks who will get the game, look at the achievements, and play the game to get them. That wouldn’t be fun to me either. But, to each their own.
    if the game is good enough for multiple play throughs AND the achievements are done correctly, they can add a lot to the game.

6. joshua nash

@5 um hate to break it to you but those ME2 achieves you are talking about i got them all in my first playthrough cause unlike ME1 which only allow shepard to use the powers to unlock them, ME2 power achieves can be unlocked by using your squad members powers, but all in all this is good now if they’d only lift the number of achieves you could get in a retail release then MS would be going in a very good direction