BioWare “incredibly proud” as ME3 ships 3.5 million WW

Friday, 9th March 2012 15:16 GMT By Johnny Cullen

EA’s announced, following today’s European release, that Mass Effect 3 has shipped 3.5 million units worldwide.

Dr Ray is, quite naturally, happy at the news, as well as paying tribute to series executive producer Casey Hudson.

“We have been truly humbled by the amazing response from fans and critics for Mass Effect 3,” said BioWare GM Muzyka.

“The game is a gripping, engaging experience where the decisions and choices you make will truly stay with you for the months and years ahead. We are all incredibly proud of Casey Hudson and the teams in Edmonton and Montreal for delivering the best game BioWare has ever made.”

It was revealed this afternoon via EA CEO John Riccitiello that the RPG had sold nearly 900,000 units in its opening 24 hours on sale in the US.

Its likely it has hit 1 million by now following today’s EU release.

Most UK retailers are also reporting sellouts of the N7 Collectors Edition, with very few carrying it as of this morning.

1. YoungZer0

So how about giving something back for once? Like not charging extra for new armor?

Un-fucking-believable that there is only one new armor set in this game. It’s supposed to be a sequel you lazy lot.

2. K-V-C

consumers is the one of the main things that keep a gaming company going and their taking advantages of us !!!!

DLC was always a ripoff since it began.

3. OrbitMonkey

They’d completely sold out at GAME/GAMESTATION, not one copy on the shelves ;-)

4. endgame

@1 Actually there are quite a few. You just need to look for them.

@2 True. True. :( I’m going to wait for a 50% off in price reduction.

5. YoungZer0

@4: There is one new armor. Around 8 in total if i’m not mistaken. All of them have been there before.

6. absolutezero

3.5 million, I guess games reviewers still have a place in the overall marketing structure of the games industry then.

7. TheWulf

You’re a card, you are. Give something back? Bioware has been fully absorbed by EA, now, and everything is going to be monetised.

This is why I hate it when developers are idiotic enough to get themselves sold to publically owned corporations. It never ends well. It never does. We all know this.

My advice to Bioware: Leave. All of you, leave. Finish up your contracts then leave. Let EA keep the Bioware name and take a new one, set up a new company and then try get bought out by ZeniMax Media.

I could pretty much guarantee that a ZeniMax owned Bioware would be better for everyone.

Why?

ZeniMax is privately owned. This is why Bethesda doesn’t have to answer to stockholders.

My ideal future would be that, really. I’m sorry to say it but it would. EA could rot for all I care, especially because of Origin (what a horrible platform that is, for the many perfectly valid reasons I’ve gone over before).

Moreover, if we did get a new, ZeniMax-owned Nu Bioware, THEY COULD SELL THEIR STUFF ON STEAM. @_@

Imagine that.

8. JokersUav

#7 That was the most insanely idiotic thing I have ever heard at no point in rambling incoherent response were you even close to a rational thought, everyone in this forum is now dumber for have listened to it. We award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul.

9. Cozzy

I pre-ordered my copy off HMV and it hasn’t arrived. Absolutely gutted!

10. Fin

People such as Erthazus, or in this case, YoungZer0 (DLC SUX!!!), K-V-C (COMPANIES SUX!!!) and absolutezero (GAME REVIEWERS ARE ALL RONG!!!!), like have ye ever played a game ye enjoy? Or is there always something? DIS COLOUR IS BLUE AND I HAAATE BLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I ACTUALLY THINK THIS GAME IS PRETTY GOOD BUT I HAVE A MINOR ISSUE ABOUT SOME DLC I DON’T EVEN HAVE TO BUY AND SO WILL GO ON METACRITIC AND RATE IT 1/10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This all comes back to a point I made a while back. Why is it games evoke this response? Why do people get really angry about games, and feel like everyone needs to hear their opinion? If you look at IMDB, films aren’t rated badly because people have a problem with the business model, it’s because they’re bad films. Why are gamers such an entitled-feeling bunch?

Basically, all you guys suck and are what I hate about the industry. Sure some company’s business practises are bad, but the knee-jerk reaction of THE INTERNET to anything it doesn’t like is far worse.

I’m done with all of you for a while.

11. YoungZer0

@10: Are you alright? Do you need a whambulance? Seriously? What’s with all the crying and the obsessive use of Capslock, sheep? None of us, not even Erthazus used Capslock.

I enjoy games, i don’t enjoy everything about a game, that would be stupid. So you enjoy eating shit, good for you. I don’t, neither do other seem to do that.

“If you don’t like something, don’t spend money on it. Complaining about it constantly doesn’t improve your argument.”

Actually it does. If the DLC should’ve been in the finally game, which “from ashes” clearly should’ve been, then yes, complaining is important. But i’ve given up on Bioware, they had the chance to learn from the many mistakes they made with the previous ME and Dragon Age 2.

But they didn’t, in fact they have gone for the worst possible way. The story of Mass Effect builds itself around Shepard, the Reapers and the Protheans. To release a Day-1 DLC that concludes the story of the Protheans is everything but acceptable. If you’re happy to pay for something that was clearly cut out in order to make more money, be my guest, but that makes you are dumb sheep and nothing else.

Now you’re angry because people rate something down, just because of the business model? How is that even your problem? Besides films have a pretty shitty business model too. Just look at how many edition Blade Runner has, and what people think about that. How every major movie company always releases shitty Blu-Ray/DVD first, one with usually no extra and a few months later releases the same film with more footage or some extras that has been cut out. Best example is Avatar. They always do that and no-one likes it. So your argument is invalid.

Bioware fucking sucks. Yes, they are more successful than ever, but none of that has to do with the quality of their games. The games have become more and more Call of Duty in space, and that’s why it sells because the last moron could play it.

The writing has become really bad. I can’t help but feel ashamed about some of the things Shepard says, it’s Michael Bay-Films quality. “We fight or we die!” Really? Wow.

The Facial Animation are still horrendous. They re-use most of the body language animation from the first one. As i mentioned before: No new armor. Want new armor? Buy the N7 Version. Let’s not even talk about the shitty ending. 3 choices and none of them matter because you’re never going to see the impact. You’re not even going to see a few flash backs. Tried and failed.

Bioware really sucks man. I remember how they tried to make up for the horrible game Dragon Age 2 was by releasing new DLC. Hey assholes, you want to make up for your shitty games? Release it for free.

Who in their right mind would pay for that?

“Sorry we released a shitty game, here’s a new DLC that makes up for it.”

“Thanks man!”

“That would be 15 Euros now.”

“Uh.”

If people like you continue to buy into this model we’re all going to lose.

“I’m done with all of you for a while.”

Yep, definitely need a whambulance.

12. GwynbleiddiuM

@11 +1

BioWare has lost sight over what’s important to their fan-base. It’s about earning quick cash with minimal efforts to produce something acceptable. Mass Effect 3 is great, but the crappy DLCs are driving me crazy. I wont even go over the problems that the game has thanks to the obvious lazy design in terms of gameplay and graphics. The game has many flaws but the DLC shit is the thing that angers me. Pay 60$ for the game, pay 15$ for day-1 DLC, pay X$ for shitstorm pack. BioWare turned into a soulless leech since EA merger.

13. Phoenixblight

You obviously haven’t played the DLC because the Prothean is not at all important. He doesn’t know about anything about what is going on or how to fight the Reapers. And the Protheans are not a big deal in ME3 at all. And if the Prothean was supposed to be part of the game they would have thrown it on the disc and locked it out like they had done with DA2 with the buying the game new instead of having CE owners and those that bought it downloading 700MB.

The From Ashes DLC was supposed to be just for the CE Owners but nope people wanted it so Bioware allowed the standard owners to have the chance to buy it. But if you like whining and bitching about why a company is bad, that’s your business. I will be over here playing a game that I own with all my CE goodness including the DLC and enjoy every bit of it.

14. DSB

@11 My main problem with the series is that they didn’t build on the protheans or the reapers, in fact they made them mean as little as possible in favor of bringing in the Mass Effect nazis, Cerberus. The racist, genocidal madmen from the first game. Suddenly you had Shepard working for those guys after painting them as the worst swine in the universe through the sidemissions in the first one.

Then they take the reapers and turn them into a joke, which still seems to be the case in the trailer for ME3. Seems like reapers have gone from awe-inspiring, godly world-destroyers to mechs just walking around the earth, shooting a bit of laser left and right, which you apparently just need to dodge at the right time. With the protheans in ME2, they took a race that was originally this huge mystery and then they went “Here they are! There, you’ve seen ‘em, now let’s shoot a million of ‘em!”.

It just stopped making sense, but then again I’m not sure they were even trying. Mass Effect 2 barely had a story at all. 90% of the game was about simply “getting the band back together” and once you had the band, there was maybe one or two missions to actually apply them to.

Of course that just makes me paranoid when I look at how it was actually recieved. I can’t rule out that my opinion is only shared by me and my friends, but the fact that virtually none of the reviewers represented that point of view certainly taught me a thing or two about reviews.

I’m sure ME3 is better, all indications are that it is, so I wouldn’t be disinclined to buy it if it wasn’t being used as the latest slab of Origin-bait.

Fool me once, though.

15. YoungZer0

@13: I played the DLC. It took the time to tell a lot about the Prothean culture. Sure he was useless, but if he would be able to tell what the Catalyst is, then that would be even more ridiculous.

“And if the Prothean was supposed to be part of the game they would have thrown it on the disc and locked it out like they had done with DA2 with the buying the game new instead of having CE owners and those that bought it downloading 700MB.”

It’s money grabbing, pure and simple. The content was there, it is important for the ME universe, they could’ve easily put it on the normal edition, but they refused and cut it out. Making another extra buck with it. And you make it sound like that’s perfectly normal? That really makes me question your common sense.

Bioware should just stop making Singleplayer Games and focus on Pay-To-Play MMORPG’s.

@14: Don’t waste your money on it. The game is definitely better than Mass Effect 2, but the ending destroys everything you’ve ever worked on.

16. Phoenixblight

“And you don’t see anything wrong about that? Withholding content from other users just because they pay less? As if 60 Euro isn’t enough already.”

They didn’t. You are basing on false information. They have a period between getting the game certified and the release. They made a DLC character in between that time because they aren’t going to pay for a team of 200 members to sit on their hands for three months. How hard is that for you to grasp?

And no I do not find it wrong to hold content on disk(ie Capcom, Ubisoft) if you get the content when you buy the original for those that buy the game used they can pay 10$ dollars and still get the game cheaper. Hell I would have been happier if they would have gone with the original plan and not released the prothean for Standard owners then people like you would have something substantial to bitch about but noooo, Bioware decided they can sell it to Standard owners.

17. YoungZer0

@16: They withhold it. Day-1 DLC’s all have that in common. If they can release it on the CE, they can release it on the normal edition. They didn’t they withheld it.

The rest of your comment doesn’t need a reply. :D

18. Phoenixblight

They did release it for the SE for a price. I paid for the CE for all the good which explicitly state secret character and mission. THE SE said nothing of the sort. You are just crying because you didn’t get the chance to buy the CE or you’re self entitled. This was announced 7 months prior sorry you can’t do some research before buying. You are the minority in this argument because EA had already stated the DLC has sold quite well so the trend will continue.

ANdf NO the used game industry is worth 1 billion dollars and none of that money goes to the developer or publisher. So developers have to come up with a way to cut that down and doing it with Shale, DA2, ME2, Online pass is the best solution.