Ubisoft confirms Rainbow Six: Patriots core development team shuffle

Thursday, 8th March 2012 00:10 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Ubisoft has given the Rainbox Six: Patriots team a dramatic shakeup.

Speaking to CVG, Ubisoft confirmed former creative director David Sears has been subbed out.

He has been replaced by Jean-Sebastien Decan, a Quantic Dream and Ubisoft Reflections veteran, who last served as narrative designer at Ubisoft Montreal.

Ubisoft gave no explanation for the change and made no indication that the game’s direction has changed. The publisher also failed to comment on the rumoured departures of other staffers.

According to GameInformer, which featured Patriots as an exclusive cover, sources claim narrative director Richard Rouse III, lead designer Philippe Therien and animation director Brent George have all been taken off the game.

GameInformer speculates the alleged staff turn over may indicate Ubisoft intends to take Patriots in a different direction; its narrative-heavy emphasis met with mixed reception on first reveal.

Rainbow Six: Patriots is expected in 2013 on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. It is believed to be supported by a 200-strong development team.

1. triggerhappy

Oh no. When you hear things like this it never turns out good. I for one quite fancied a narrative heavy FPS/TPS hybrid that might actually have a story I could care about. They better not turn this in to an all out action FPS with no soul to try raid the COD market.

2. Ercarret

“Mixed reception”? Yeah, from “AWESOME!” all the way to “OMG!OMG!OMG!”. I honestly didn’t see anything (even mildly) negative being said about it. Of course, what I see and everything that was said isn’t quite the same, but the comments on the GI article is still pretty much one giant “NOOOOOOO!”.

This sucks. Probably. Perhaps those four gentlemen were just playing ping pong in the office and Ubi took them off the project to get it back on (the old) track, but … probably not.

3. LOLshock94

@1 my god i hate people like you, what made the other games special? because i cant remember story being one of them.

4. triggerhappy

@ LOL: WOW WOW WOW, always with the nastiness. So you hate me because I like my games to have a story?? C’mon man… So you want games to have no story and be all about mindless action? All my favourite games are ones that have a good narrative.

5. xxJPRACERxx

It didn’t look like CoD enough…

6. absolutezero

Im all for great stories in games but from the teaser nothing about Patriots looked good.

It felt massively forced and manipulative in its choices.

Happily married man! Hit Square to kiss your beautiful wife, its your Birthday! Happy Birthday! Oh no who are these men and what do they want!

OH NO IM BEING SHOT BY OWN COUNTRY, HOW VERY TROUBLING.

7. HauntaVirus

boooooo! Canceled pre-order!

8. Moonwalker1982

What is meant with narrative heavy? I didn’t really read alot of previews, i was just happy a new R6 was on its way. But what was the true change for this one?

9. SplatteredHouse

No! I can’t believe I’m reading this! Ubisoft have an aversion to quality games, made by fired-up, experienced people. This is so bad! Terrible news. :(
    They should rename themselves FFF. French Franchise Factory.

10. TD_Monstrous69

Wow, I hope this isn’t true. Because I thought the first videos that came out for this showed a very excellent looking game, full of promise. From interface, to dialogue, to story, and gameplay. I hope this is not true, and only a rumor. For if it’s true, and they are shifting direction, and kicked those guys off of this project, then I’d have to say, I’ve truly lost a lot of respect for Ubisoft. For when I read the article for this in Game Informer, and read some of the things these guys mentioned in the article, I heard or saw nothing wrong, and only became more fascinated with Rainbow 6 Patriots, especially when they spoke of the narritive and tone in which the game would have. I can’t help but wonder when they said ” met with mixed results”, do they mean with fans, or with Ubisoft’s marketing and PR people?

11. TD_Monstrous69

Updating my comment from earlier; I can only ask just one question, why, just why?

12. Edo

Well…that’s a nasty surprise,I really liked what I saw from that concept gameplay video.

13. Maximum Payne

@12 Yea me too.Adam Jensen WTF.

14. endgame

@11 When did Ubisoft last listen to their fans!? I can’t remember.

For the record I also think that what the team was doing with Rainbow Six Patriots was fresh and intriguing. Developers or might I say publishers are afraid to try new things these days. I think they are wrong to act like this.

15. SplatteredHouse

Gutted that this has happened. @10, @14: I couldn’t agree with you more, and really I hope that Ubisoft are going to get pushed on this “mixed results” business.

16. G1GAHURTZ

This is what happens when you show the world a game that you’re not capable of ever making.

A lot like Metal Gear Rising…

17. DSB

Rainbow Six was basically run into the ground after Rogue Spear.

This is the only hope we got.

18. absolutezero

I can’t seriously be the only one that was put off by how forced and contrived the entire situation in the video was right? Please tell me there are other people that saw through it.

Even the very very small part that could be what the actual game was going to be like just looked like the 2 Vegas titles with very little difference. Am I missing something here?

19. Moonwalker1982

I agree that the games became very different when they started to appear on consoles, but i DID do love them. Especially Rainbow Six Vegas, Vegas 2 alot less. And a few others on Xbox 1 too, Black arrow and another.

20. G1GAHURTZ

R6V on 360 was my fave shooter after I gave Gears 1 a break and before CoD4 was released.

I didn’t like R6V2 much either. Especially the SP, which was a mess.

I’m not sure if I could get back into the slow pace now, though.

21. jldoom

Holy crap I’m so late, I just saw that trailer everyone was talking about! Sorry, but if the focus is on the story as heavily as it appeared on this trailer along with the FPS elements, this game would be very interesting to say the least. I hope the switching of certain members won’t change much of the outcome of the final outcome.

Maybe they are still heading down the narrative path, and just decided to hire different people to complete the game? Lol here’s to hoping so…