CD Projekt: Releasing free DLC for The Witcher on 360 may be a bit “tricky”

Thursday, 8th March 2012 17:41 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Cd Projekt has said it may face a problem when creating DLC for The Witcher 2 on Xbox 360 because the firm is used to releasing the content free to players, something Microsoft is not keen on.

Speaking with
Spong
, level artist, Mark Ziemak said the possibility of such hiccups to the firm’s way of doing thing caused it to make a preemptive move by releasing extra content from the get-go on disc.

“[This] is why we decided to launch all the DLCs that were created for the PC and all the extra content right away on the console game disc,” he said. “That way, there is no problem. As for the future – I don’t know, we’ll have to think of something a little later on maybe. I’m not sure if we already have a solution yet. But of course, we would like to keep up the good work.

“On the other hand, maybe… it’s a really defined and rounded version of the game, the console edition. So perhaps we won’t have to create new improvements.”

Game’s out next month.

1. YoungZer0

I hope they find a way, so console users might realize that they shouldn’t pay double for things that should’ve been there all along.

They then might refuse to buy from douchebag developers like Bioware who think that creating actual new armor in a fucking sequel should cost extra.

2. Takeshi

Lol, pathetic Microsoft can’t just permit it. I wonder if this is the case with Sony as well.

3. Moonwalker1982

At least we get the extra content that they created for free on the disc. I guess MS can’t do anything about that. When you think about it though, it’s rather sad of these huge ass companies, this whole DLC thing.

4. LOLshock94

the free dlc is shitty anyways just hair and suits and shit

5. TheWulf

It’s common knowledge that Microsoft has a slew of bad policies. It’s what makes the platform uncomfortable for indie and MMO devs. We know this from just how many indie and MMO devs have commented on it (quite a lot, to my memory).

Sony is much less uptight about this, and that’s why developers tend to often be happier with them.

6. TheWulf

Uh, no. CD Projekt RED stuff is on par with the kind of DLC you’d see in something like Fallout 3. Except they tend to release it for free. They’re kind of nice like that.

7. absolutezero

We really need to come to come sort of agreement to stop replying to LOL.

Anyway!

@#2 Sony are releasing Dust for free. So they have no problem with free content at all I imagine. Or at least they are alot more flexable.

I still remember Valve basically abandoning TF2 on the Xbox because they would be forced to charge for updates. I would hate to have been a L4D player on the console aswell and have to pay for all the free stuff that we got on the PC.

Actually did L4D2 on the Xbox get all the original maps like the PC did?

8. Takeshi

Hah, I wouldn’t call myself a Sony fanboy, but it sure is hard to see the good points about an Xbox sometimes.

9. DSB

Rumor has it that they pull the same certification bullshit with Games for Windows Live, so it takes ages just to get it done. You really have to wonder how Microsoft have been able to get this far.

@8 Until Metro I probably would’ve been like “Hey, wait a minute”, but yeah, pretty much. I bought it partly for the better third party performance and partly for the interface. Interface = Now fucked.

10. Ge0force

x360-owners are used paying for stuff that’s completely free on other platforms, so they will pay for this free DLC as well.