10 million PlayStation Move units shipped worldwide

Thursday, 8th March 2012 04:57 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Sony announced at GDC 2012 that its motion control peripheral has past a significant milestone.

As reported by GameInformer, Sony’s Gabe Ahn didn’t give any sales figures, but revealed the company has shipped 10.6 million Move units to retailers.

Ahn said Sony considers the accessory “successful” and still has major plans for it; the company announced yesterday that the long-awaited Move showcase Sorcery will finally release in May.

The peripheral launched in September 2010, making it 18 months old. For comparison purposes, Kinect is 16 months old and has sold 18 million units – but that includes units bundled with consoles.

1. TD_Monstrous69

Shipped-Sold, not the same thing, just hope folks remeber that when they comment (even though it never happens). Though I was someone who was an early adopter of Move (only cause I needed a PS3 with a bigger hard drive, and it came bundled with it at the time I bought it), I admittingly hardly ever use it. Though I am looking forward to what’s coming down the pike for Move, and I do also want to try out KillZone 3 on Move w/ the Sharpshooter, because I’ve heard that’s the best way to play it using Move. Also, looking forward to seeing what Bioshock Infinte’s does with Move. Because I’m more than sure Irrational Games could utilize it in very intuitive ways for gameplay. Good to see they’re supporting the device, though I’m still waiting for that must-have app, same goes for Kinect.

2. Christopher Jack

@1, Firstly, shipped is essentially sold- sold to retailers, although I believe they can be returned under certain circumstances, I have no idea what these circumstances may be but I guess consumers can also return products but again, I don’t know how returns work as I rarely have to do any, I actually research a product before I buy it & if something happens to it, it’s normally well out of the return period.

Secondly, the PlayStation 3 uses a standard 2.5″ SATA HDD, the exact same you would shove into a laptop, & they are relatively cheap so all you need to do is watch an online YouTube tutorial on how to properly do it, it takes 10 minutes give or take.

Thirdly, don’t expect any MUST HAVE apps for either Move or Kinect, their successors will be announced with in the next two years & Microsoft will drop support for their console simultaneously with the release of its successor so there’s really not enough time for either platform to have a good AAA announced & released while there’s only a handful of noteworthy Move & Kinect games with the slightest chance of becoming ‘must have’ but I wouldn’t hold out hope for any of them.

3. Bojangles

Of course shipped is sold. Do you think a manufacturer gives away their product to the distributor/retailer for nothing? If so, explain why GAME isn’t able to acquire stock from certain people.

4. Dragon246

Shipped is as goo as sold as retailers only order the amount they think will be sold.

5. G1GAHURTZ

‘Shipped’ is not as good as ‘sold’.

Or it would be called ‘sold’.

Not ‘shipped’.

6. Erthazus

Shipped for a company is basically sold. They don’t know how much they sold because every retailer have it’s own information and it’s hard to track it.

7. TD_Monstrous69

OK, let me clarify something on shipped-not-sold. I was speaking in terms of what was being sold to the consumer, something this article doesn’t mention at all, and for those arguing well shipped is essentially sold, is maybe only half true. For manufacturers sell products to retailers at a wholesale price. The retailers buy the orders in bulk (wholesale) at a discounted total rate, instead of having to pay for each individual console or game at regular retail price. So neither the retailer or manufacturer is making a maximum profit until a sale to a consumer is made, again, something this article doesn’t mention. Hope I’ve cleared things up a bit. Though as I said before, great to see support for Move, I just hope to see more stuff for it in due time.

8. Petulant Radish

Does this 10.5mil figure include the nav unit as well? And I suppose it cannot take into consideration households that bought two or more move controllers? I only ask as the figure presented, sold or shipped, does not give a clear enough indication on market penetration in terms of households using the devices.