Gameplay director “truly sorry” for Deus Ex: Human Revolution’s bosses

Wednesday, 7th March 2012 22:14 GMT By Brenna Hillier

In a GDC 2012 post-mortem entitled Reimagining a Classic, gameplay director Francois Lapikas reiterated Eidos Montreal’s regret over Deus Ex: Human Revolution’s highly criticised bosses.

“[The boss fights] were a big part of the game, and we should have put more effort into them. I’m truly sorry about that. Next time we’re gonna think about it more,” Lapikas said during the presentation, as reported by GameInformer.

Eidos Montreal staffers have made similar comments in the past, but this session was one of the first chances for the developer to go deeper into what caused the problem. Lapikas explained that the boss encounters weren’t developed with detailed direction sheets, as the rest of the game was.

“We saw them as a thing to break up the pacing more than a way to test the player’s skill,” he admitted, saying the team believed the weapons and ammo scattered throughout boss fights would compensate for any difficulties.

“Play tests did flag the boss fights as a problem, but they didn’t flag the severity of it.”

Shooter RPG hybrid Deus Ex: Human Revolution released in August 2011 on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 and was almost universally praosed – except for the boss fights.

1. LOLshock94

He knew it was a problem yet he still sold it to us….cunt

2. NiceFellow

Fuck I forgive him. The rest of the game was great really (apart from the somewhat duff ending) and managed to repair the IP quite nicely.

The fact is Deus Ex doesn’t need traditional bosses – everything should feel unforced and open to multiple paths.

But they’ve got that now. I’ll certainly support another title from these guys.

3. PenTaFH

@2 Agreed.

The boss fights weren’t great, but now that I think about it they were a nice change of pace. Too easy with the right augment, though.

I’m also greatly anticipating their next announcement in the DX universe. At the end of the credits from the Missing Link, I really hope the “It’s only just begun” was not for nothing.

4. osric90

They should be worried for:

1. Bosses.
    2. Awful looking cutscenes.
    3. Amazing to boring and pointless story.
    4. Copying MGS too much, specially around the very end.
    5. Continuity mistakes (funny at first but then annoying).
    6. Making freakin’ amazing trailers showing us a game that never happened that way (and not even making the cutscenes look like that).
    7. The amateaur-looking pictures in the credits getting in your way.

This game promised too much and ended up being mediocre. The Icarus trailers (Square Enix Japan made) are still my favorites ever though.

5. DSB

I thought it was pretty mediocre. It certainly had the makings of something special, but the writing, the braindead AI and the cookie cutter morality story really took away from it.

It was always going to be next to impossible to make a new Deus Ex though. If it had been a new IP, it would’ve felt a lot better. I hope they fired the writers in time for Thief.

6. absolutezero

I really really liked it, I thought it did atmosphere and place fantastically, it had a really amazing score, controlled well, played well and was rewarding to play about with. It was the correct level of punishing for fouling up aswell.

I am getting a bit tired of the company that created the boss fights being blamed constantly, they did what they were asked to do to the best of their abilities. Sure its a massive stupid hurdle to progression but my stealth/talky Jenson managed after a little fooling around with weapons and play styles, which is the whole purpose in the series surely?

Whoever created the Malik part needs to be shot, trying to do that with a non-lethal playthrough is hellish.

7. triggerhappy

For me DE:HR was a breath of fresh air. It was a game that didn’t hold my hand and treat me like I was stupid. It also gave me choice, choice to do things the way i wanted. The cover system was excellent and so was the stealth. TBH I didn’t think the bosses were that bad, could have been better but I don’t think it warranted the panning they got.

8. endgame

OK whatever! Now the shut up and make a new Deus Ex game! Please! I beg you! :D

9. The_Red

I’m really enjoying the game right now. There are some problems but the game as a whole feels much closer to the original Deus Ex than I was expecting. I’m having fun with many parts in the same way that I had fun with the original.
    Some of that may be due to rather old design for cities and hubs. Maybe I’m trapped in time and enjoy some of the more dated elements but goddamit, this game is fun.

10. DSB