CD Projekt: Gamers shouldn’t pay for “small” DLC packs

Wednesday, 7th March 2012 07:20 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Gamers investing time into a certain title and adding to it with DLC content shouldn’t pay for small chunks of DLC, CD Projekt has said.

In an MCV Pacific interview, Witcher II lead quest designer Mateusz Tomaszkiewicz said consumers shouldn’t have to pay for DLC packs that contain items like “individual items”.

“I think all of the smaller DLCs should be free,” he said.

“In my opinion, you shouldn’t pay for such small packs for to the game. I have no problem with buying an add-on to a game which adds a lot of hours of gameplay and a lot of new content, like expansions used to be in the past.

But small DLCs, such as individual items – a customer shouldn’t be forced to pay for that.”

The Witcher II comes to Xbox 360 on April 17 worldwide.

1. alterecho

My thoughts exactly. Miss all those expansion packs.

2. silkvg247

A customer isn’t “forced” to buy said small items though. Much as I also detest the blatant greed behind charging for tiny extras, it is optional.

3. DSB

True, nobody gets forced. They just get cheated out of a complete product if they don’t.

4. Mike

I love this company more and more.

5. YoungZer0

@3: That’s exactly the problem. Developers like Bioware don’t produce full games any more.

CD Projekt is just amazing, buying their games fills me with pride.

6. Ge0force

#4: Cd Project Red is a pc developer. Until they switched focus to console, almost all pc-devs thought this way – including Epic, EA and Activision.

7. Takeshi

@6: They are becoming more and more of a console developer (probably developing for PS3 soon also), but as one of the few they still remember us PC folks.

@2: Yep, it doesn’t really bother me as much as it does for some people. For example haven’t bought any DLC for Mass Effect 2 which wasn’t story-based. Haven’t bought anything for Arkham City and Uncharted 3 either since release despite AC being my game of the year. If Rocksteady releases story-based DLC for AC I’m there though.

I did buy those two DLCs for Deus Ex Human Revolution, but that was only because it was fairly cheap.

CD Projekt RED is a really cool game developer who has some very appealing ideologies that really favour them in a time when publishers are trying to get people to pre-order for extra content. I also feel like they’re really taking advantage of it by making these kind of statements. Which is fine when you cut to the bone, but to show how different they are compared to other developers. Isn’t the difference between CDPR and developers like Rocksteady and Bioware that CDPR isn’t owned by a publisher? And therefore can’t be forced/persuaded to create small DLC to lure people to pre-order or simple spend extra cash after release?

More publishers should catch on that what CDPR are doing is worth it even though it doesn’t give them immediate profit. It’s the reputation that counts.