Analyst predicts Funcom stock will triple leading up to The Secret World’s release

Wednesday, 7th March 2012 14:34 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Last summer, stock prices in Funcom were sitting at 5,20 NOK on the Norwegian Stock Exchange, but as of March 2012, stock in the firm has risen substantially to 20,30 NOK in March 2012. Due to the rise in prices, analysts predict continued growth when The Secret World releases in June.

“Funcom is one of the stocks that could double or triple in value,” said Carnegie analyst Espen Torgersen. “If Funcom’s next game is a success, they will definitely end up as the stock of the year,”

Listed on the Exchange in 2005, the firm’s prices have seesawed over the years, and 2008′s release of the Conan MMO saw prices top out at 55 NOK before plunging to 2,50 NOK.

Thanks, MCV.

1. Old MacDonald

Yeah, and it’ll sink like a stone after release, just like after AoC.

2. viralshag

@1, I reckon you’re right on the money. Game looks alright but I doubt it will set the world alight.

3. DSB

It’s a real shame though. Anarchy Online was my first MMO and it was pretty damn ambitious for what it tried to do.

I love the sound of this, but I think it’s gonna go the way of Hellgate London.

For AoC they didn’t even have individual effects for spells. I played a necromancer, and no matter what I cast, I got the exact same effect.

That’s saying nothing for the joke of a dungeon system. Just utter crap.

Go back to The Longest Journey, ‘kaythanks.

4. Awsm

Judging by what the press has been saying about The Secret World after the latest hands on previews there’s just an incredible amount of depth to the story and the world as well as the skill system. Funcom have already proven they’re great at making great worlds with mysterious back stories you just can’t wait to learn more about in their own IPs Anarchy Online and The Longest Journey. If The Secret World turns out anything like the amalgamation of those games it seems like they’re aiming for I have no doubt it’s going to be an awesome MMO that I’ll be playing for a long time.

5. DSB

Previews are undoubtedly the most skewed, dishonest part of games writing though.

Writer gets access, he helps to build the hype, and courteously shuts up about any kind of worries he might have for how it’s going to turn out, so he’ll get to come back and do another one. He can always slam it in the review, and give away whatever fears he had at that point.

That’s really how it works :P

It makes sense, I guess. If you let someone into your house, you don’t take kindly to what they might have to say for your stupid and ugly furniture. But that kind of relationship doesn’t exactly produce credible journalism.

A preview is really just advertising.