Notch hands out $3 million to his team at Mojang

Friday, 2nd March 2012 13:34 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Markus Persson has distributed personal dividends from Mojang’s last fiscal year of $3 million to his team.

He stated on Twitter: “Every single Mojangsta is a massive part of the reason Mojang is the best place on earth to work at right now.”

The gesture was part of a celebration as Minecraft PC sales have surpassed 5 million units.

Minecraft update 1.2 went live yesterday.

Thanks, Gamasutra.

1. Telepathic.Geometry

Ya gotta love that guy…

2. viralshag

Damn me and my lack of being a Mojangsta!

What a bonus though, eh?

3. monty12345

Yeah I don’t think Notch can take a wrong turn, Also changing development to jeb and the other guy + bukkit was a really smart decision, you could tell his heart wasn’t in the game anymore, it’s far better that he oversees other projects rather than making upside-down stairs or something.

4. TheWulf

Yep. He clearly still cares enough about the Minecraft project to do that, even though he has no obligation to do so. I dread to think what would happen to Minecraft in the hands of a more corporate mindset.

Not only that, but the Mojang crew are pretty much made up of some really fun, funny, and creative guys. I had a blast watching them and the Wolfire team (who’re equally as awesome) for the length of the Mojam event.

Pretty great bunch of people, really. I hope Mojang is the model for games development of the future, because if it is then we might finally get out of the increasingly stagnant rut we’ve found ourselves in. I mean, let’s face it, none of the big publishers are taking risks any more, and their games are increasingly safe and risk free.

I still long for the sort of world where AAA titles like Morrowind, Uru: Ages Beyond Myst, Anachronox, MDK 2 and so on could be released. Isn’t it funny how grey the world has become? Gaming has become oatmeal, there’s no spice to most of it any more. (Which is why I tend to go a bit crazy when a game that reminds me of the unbridled creativity of the early ’00s and before turns up.)

When did we all get so boring?

But yeah, I’m really hoping that all this is building to some kind of crazy paradigm shift that will reinvigorate the industry. There’s currently far, far too much Amalur and Call of Duty, and nowhere near enough Morrowind and No One Lives Forever.

Oh for a games industry like the one we had in the early ’00s again. That’s my dream. To a huge extent, indies are representing the games industry we had in the late ’80s and early ’90s. Wildly experimental stuff on the home computers and all, it all came full circle a while back, and now we’re seeing indies with money.

2020 is going to be an interesting year.

(Then we get another glorious 10 or 20 years before it all turns to shit with Call of Duty-esque reruns again. it’s the cycle of things.)

5. endgame