Risen 2 screenshots show monsters, muskets, voodoo

Wednesday, 29th February 2012 15:01 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Deep Silver has released a new batch of screenshots for Risen 2: Dark Waters. In them, you will see shots of: an alligator or crocodile – we can’t tell – fighting a very strange looking crab creature, men with muskets, voodoo, the priestess Chani, our nameless hero, and some big rock-monster thing – at least we think he’s a rock monster. Let’s just say he’s massive and formidable looking.

Risen 2: Dark Waters will release for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 in the US on April 24 and the UK on April 27.

1. TheWulf

Oooh. That last screenshot hopefully implies that they have an ecology system in there, which makes me very happy.

One of the things I loved about Gothic III (and modded Morrowind, with the right mods) was believable ecologies. In Gothic III, you could literally follow a wolf pack around and watch them hunting appropriate prey, and competing with other hunters for that prey. If you got too close, they’d growl at you and if you backed away, they’d go back to whatever they were doing.

I did love that about Gothic III. Almost every animal behaved in a completely believable way for what that animal was. One of the things I really disliked about Skyrim was the suicidal kamikaze lone wolves, because that means that they aren’t wolves at all – just random rabid dogs. Point being that a wolf is smart enough to know what it has a chance against, and thus it runs from things it can’t hunt. That’s been observed many times in nature.

Things have to be this way for a sustainable species. If wolves were charging like kamikaze suicide squads at every person they saw, there’d be mass culls and wolves wouldn’t be around for long. And with how many critters you kill in Skyrim, I can’t help but feel that there must be some Dwemer cloning facility somewhere that keeps cranking them out, because with their violent nature there’s absolutely no way they’d have the numbers to be as sustainable as they are.

Really, suicidal animals that keep their numbers up by respawning when you’re looking the other way is one of my biggest fantasy RPG bugbears. It really is quite ridiculous. And this isn’t me being an animal activist (even though I somewhat am) but more that I actually know a thing or two about sustainable ecologies.

I suppose ignorance is bliss for most people.

Ignorance is bliss.

You can ignore something if you don’t know better, and that’s why it doesn’t really get under the skin of some gamers as it does with me. I still want to know where the dwemeri peoples hid those damn cloning facilities. I’ve combed Skyrim and Blackreach with a fine tooth comb and still haven’t found them – but they must be there! Either that or each pregnant wolf gives birth to about a hundred pups. (Ouch!)

So yeah. For these reasons, seeing a sustainable ecology in a game actually pleases me. This means that I don’t have to fight the critters, and the critters can do what they’re supposed to be doing (and not making suicide squad runs at me). Which means that the ecology can be sustainable enough as to not break my immersion.

I’d rather be fighting those Inquisition jerks than random kamikaze wolves, anyway.

2. Kabby

Most of those singular fox/wolf creatures are spawned to lead you to ‘hidden’ areas. (cave entries, a route to a tomb, a patch of mining nodes etc.)

3. Maximum Payne

The Wolf is speaking about wolfs ,quite amusing indeed :)

4. TheWulf

There are better ways to do that, via visual indicators like paintings on nearby rocks and such. Using mobs for that is just lazy.

In fact, I keep wishing that games would do more with jumping and tempting people to discover things through tricky jumps. Like “that’s a suspicious outcropping” and so on.

You know, this is one of the reasons I’m loving what I hear of GW2, and one of the reasons I love Overgrowth. Overgrowth has a lot of user maps which are parkour which require skill to actually do. They lead to vistas which overlook everything, and that’s awesome. GW2 had one example that read something like…

You find this series of pillars, you jump across them and find an entrance that’s well disguised by an outcrop of vines. Once you clear the vines, you find a pathway that drops down behind a waterfall – and there you’ll discover the remains of an ancient pirate camp, and there will be things there that set off dynamic events.

I love that stuff. I support it. I mean… showing me suspicious landscape design and enticing me to try my luck jumping across it with potential rewards at the end? That’s so much better than “OH LOOK A MOB SPAWN POINT THERE MUST BE A THING NEARBY!!!” – because it’s much more imaginative and much less lazy.

And really, Bethesda could have done this with Skyrim.

There’s potential in that one dashing shout they have, the one that allows you to get to places which you really shouldn’t be able to get to. I climbed to almost the top of Markarth with that… and almost had a heart attack when I looked down. I really wasn’t sure how to get down from there. It wasn’t easy, I’ll tell you that.

I got up to Calcelmo’s Tower WITHOUT going through the museum/lab first.

And then I went higher than that.

Apparently, someone else felt the same, because they created a mod named Roof-jumper’s Treasure. If you have the PC version of Skyrim then I implore anyone reading this to check that out, because that mod is, quite frankly, some of the most fun I’ve had in Skyrim.

Essentially, what it does is it adds chest with clues to the roofs of the domiciles and buildings of the various holds. Once you have all the clues for a hold, you have to go on a scavenger hunt, trying to figure out where the clues want you to go. Some of them are HARD, but they have fairly amazing rewards.

Unlike in Skyrim where I was yawning even whilst ploughing through stuff on Master, with Roof-jumper’s Treasure I actually felt like I was doing something to be worthy of those rewards, since some of the jumps were frickin’ tricky. And like I said, some of the clues were hard to decipher. Brilliant, brilliant stuff.

I really hope that we see modders doing more of that. One thing I’m hoping to see is a tower which requires clever jumping and whirlwind dash shout thingy to get to the top of.

But yes, suffice it to say – there are much more inventive ways of pointing people towards points of interest than just “OH LOOK MOB!” which is about the worst possible way that you could do it. If I were on their design team, I would have slapped them for that AND for not realising the potential of whirlwind shout.

5. Edo

I’m not sure about this one,it looks decent at best,but since Prototype 2 was delayed on PC(it was suppose to come at the same time as Risen 2)I might just pick it up.

6. Kabby

But it is easy to get down. Just use Become Ethereal and jump.