Borderlands 2 to use Steamworks on PC

Wednesday, 29th February 2012 14:06 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

2K Games has said Borderlands 2 will ship with Steamworks on PC.

You will also be able to use the Steam Cloud service, and all the other nifty benefits which come along with the DRM people seem to like better than most.

This means: Steam Achievements, auto-updating, multiplayer matchmaking, ease of access to DLC and all the other benefits whether its a PC retail version or you purchased the game through Steam.

Pre-orders are now being accepted.

Borderlands 2 is out September 18 in the US and September 21 in Europe.

1. DSB

Thank fuck for that. No more Gamespy crap.

2. HauntaVirus

Nice, that seals the deal on my day one purchase :)

3. TheWulf

And no GfWL. @_@

I really hate booting up L.A. Noire (got it in a sale, yay sales!) because I have to go through GfWL, then the RockStar Gamer’s Social Club Thing… FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

I’m sorry, but some people have absolutely no clue how you develop a multi-platform game. The first sign of not having the first damn clue is, instead of using Steamworks or your own solution for servers & clients, you opt for GfWL or Gamespy.

I’d prefer a kick to the nuts than either of those two.

So yes, this is good news. VERY good news.

4. Kabby

Someone at 2k Games HQ made a wise decision. Bravo.

5. DSB

@3 Case and point: Gotham City Impostors.

It’s bad enough to use GFWL on a game that does have a strong singleplayer component, but using it on a multiplayer shooter is just playing everybody for a fool.

Then on top of that they added Warner Brothers ID, so you get that warm fuzzy Soviet bureaucracy feeling. Someone likes their Kafka.

Section 8 did the same thing. You might as well write “We have no fucking clue what we’re doing” on the box.

6. Phoenixblight

I have actually met the developers of Section 8 games. All of the lead’s were really young I am talking 25-30 years old. From what I understand GFWL is supposedly really cheap compared to other forms of DRM even Steam.

7. DSB

@6 I don’t know how it compares to other forms of DRM in terms of expenses, but you’re really not doing your game a favor by saving on something like that.

I consider myself a pretty core FPS player, and to me it really matters how fast and convenient it is to get a match.

GFWL is just not very good. Endless updates, clunky design. There’s something like three prompts between you and your newly purchased game, and that’s only if you don’t get hit with an update. Then you could end up having to restart it 2-3 times.

You really shouldn’t put something like that between the player and your game unless you absolutely have to. The only paperwork required should be logging in to buy the game, or typing in a nickname.

At least in Monoliths case, the only barrier would be Warner apparently selling their soul to Microsoft. There’s no way they couldn’t afford better.

8. Phoenixblight

I am sure in hindsight they would have gone with Steam with how popular the game became but at that point where its your first game being published, you just want to stay afloat until you hit it big so you try to save some money.

9. Edo