Doom 4 cancellation rumor squashed, supposed leaked shots hit the net

Tuesday, 28th February 2012 18:00 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Earlier today, AGB was rumoring that Doom 4 had been canceled which it posted alongside supposed leaked shots of the game.

Now it looks as though the initial scare is behind us, as GameInformer’s Jim Reilly has tweeted that the rumor isn’t true (thanks, A Zombie Riot) after having recieved word from Bethesda.

We mailed Bethesda when we first hear the news and have yet to hear back. Hopefully we’ll hear something soon, as we also asked whether the shots posted were authentic or not.

id Software’s shooter has been in the works for some years now, and during E3 2011, John Carmack noted that once “Rage ships”, the tech team would move over to the Doom 4 project.

Upon completion, the id Tech 5 developed game will see a simultaneous release on PC, PS3, and Xbox 360,

1. xino

Stephany are you seriously trolling!?

i’ve been observing your articles lately and you just seem to make 1 small paragraph and call it an article.

where are the links and pictures man, it’s getting annoying!

2. Stephany Nunneley

It’s called ” get it up” and “flesh it out later.” And there are links to the original source. Every. Time.

No “trolling”. Just doing what my boss tells me to do like any other job on the planet. :/

3. Maximum Payne

First Stalker and now this ?:(

4. Kabby

Did Stalker like look shit too?

5. Edo

Nope not canceled.

6. A Zombie Riot

Bethesda says it’s not canceled

7. Stephany Nunneley

@6 Thanks. I will add that in, and when we get our comment, I will add it as well.

8. xino

tell Patrick to change the rules man:/

anyway thanks for the news…

:( I love DooM 3:(

Ok i can tell WHY it is cancelled.
    WTF is this!?

when I played DOOM 95, it was cool, not scary but sometimes the enemy make me jump and I hate some of the demon’s noise when they are roaming.

DooM 3 was a surprised to me, it was F**KING scary.

so what is DOOM4 meant to be? from the graphical standpoint it doens’t even look like its aimming to be scary.
    love the graphics by the way.

DOOM 4 takes place on Earth. It looks like they are trying to make it more Action-y instead of scary.

9. DSB

There’s not a lot in there to identify it as Doom 4.

Personally I’m not in a rush after RAGE. id should make sure they’re still capable of making a decent game before going there.

10. BULArmy

So the whole id are totally independent was just mud in the eyes?

Also as xino pointed this looks nothing like Doom. Space Stations and Space Marines will be changed with another post-apocalyptic Earth. No thanks, I really like post-typographical themes, but not in my Doom.

11. HeavyD-Love

The indoor shots look VERY similar to some of the indoor locations in RAGE…

12. The_Red

After the way they killed fun of original first 2 Dooms, the cancellation could have almost sounded like good news to this franchise but alas, we have to settle for another generic shooter like Rage from the once legendary studio.

13. xino

i have a good feeling that, the original design above was cancelled and devs are working on a new one.
    Much like how the first Splatterhouse that was shown at GDC was cancelled.
    In the end the new Splatterhouse ended up being a piece of sh*

14. Razor

Tut, xino, no need to attack Steph.

<3 Steph

15. Maximum Payne

@13 Yep me to.I guess after RAGE was not so successful they wanted to change art style not to resemble if that make sense.
    Also those shoots remind like Half Life 2 :)

16. xino

yo listen, don’t start this shit now, or i’m gonna start up shit with you.

i don’t need your garbage tonight.

anyway the funny thing about this is that ID hasn’t even announced doom 4 yet or plan on doing it right now.
    now someone from Bethesda just said “doom 4 is not cancelled”
    even though they haven’t announced it:)

we need more “cancel leaks” like this, so we don’t have to rely on publishers announcing a game.
    anyone wanna leak a cancel shot of MGS5 and Bayonetta 2?:)

17. Maximum Payne

@16 Actually they were announced Doom 4.They even say its going to be something between re-boot and sequel and that after RAGE whole team will shift to Doom 4 development.

18. A Zombie Riot

A Zombie Robot? Eh, at least you thanked me. haha

You’re welcome!

19. Stephany Nunneley

@18 Aw Sorry. I’ve had a migraine for four days and it’s messing with my vision more than usual. Technically you could be a robot though. How do I know for sure? :) xxoo

20. HeavyD-Love

@16….um where’ve you been man? Id announced Doom 4 is in development before Rage even shipped.

21. A Zombie Riot

@19: That’s true. Heck, I don’t even know if I’m a robot. Hmm.

and DANG IT. I should’ve screen-capped it when I was going to. Oh well.

22. xino

they announced d00m 4?
    I never heard of this madness!

ok i guess it makes sense why the Earth looks mashup and not futuristic.

23. ocdpqr

@2 Get it up and flesh it out later? It’s been 11 months since you said that LOL