Diablo III “expectations” post was “sarcastic”: Blizzard

Friday, 24th February 2012 07:35 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Following a Blizzard blue post saying the firm is worried it “won’t be able to meet the expectations people have built up for themselves” over Diablo III, Jay Wilson has said the comment was “sarcastic” and couldn’t “further from the truth.”

“Some of you might have seen some headlines or a certain (obviously sarcastic) blue post that implies that we’re unsteady about where Diablo III stands, and that you should temper your expectations when it comes to the next installment in the Diablo series,” he said.

“Let me be clear: Nothing could be further from the truth.

“As those of you in the beta have seen, the game is in good shape. Actually, I should say that the beta version of the game is in good shape. The latest full build we’ve been testing here in the office is in great shape.”

Wilson’s remarks were in response to a post by community manager Bashiok, in which he said: “I too worry that we won’t be able to meet the expectations people have built up for themselves. Part of my job is managing people’s expectations, so, eh, stop it. Stop thinking about how awesome this game could be.”

Diablo III will ship in the second quarter.

1. unacomn

Phew, that’s a load off my mind. For a second there I thought it wouldn’t come with a free unicorn.

2. Tuco

It was quite obvious, to be honest.
    It’s been almost painful to see so many dumb headlines about this yesterday.

3. hives

Meh… Of course it was sarcasm. Everyone who reads Blizz official forums knows that Bashiok often use it, especially when answering stupid questions or talking with haters.

But why check it out, huh? We can just re-write the news from other website :f

4. djjoejoe

I must be the only one working under the assumption that Diablo 3 will come holiday 2012, and anything earlier would be a surprise (a pleasant one).

5. deathgaze

@1: This post is full of win. Bravo.

6. GwynbleiddiuM

I wanted to say this, but at the moment I’m very angry with Blizzard and wouldn’t mind if they get some negative feedback from media.

1. No Diablo 3

2. World of WarCraft’s Low population/faction imbalance crisis. BTW, can’t you guys do an article about it? We’re crying, screming, rallying, protesting naked in streets and all they give us is unfortunately there’s no easy fix to this. It’s actually quite a while now.

7. soqquatto

stop whining. diablo will come sooner or later. it’s not like you don’t have stuff to play, and if you have a terminal illness and you’re afraid you’ll never play diablo 3, diablo 3 should not be your biggest issue. also, wow is not related to diablo. people working on diablo are people working on diablo and people working on wow are people working on wow. finally, who gives a damn about wow here and now?

8. DSB

@6 It’s easy enough to complain about something, but what would your solution be?

Forcefully moving people between servers, away from their friends and guilds?

Faction imbalance is a part of any MMORPG. If battlegrounds are imbalanced as a result, then something should be done about that, and they’re able to do it, but general faction population is never going to be 50/50 without causing way more collateral damage than it’s worth.

In terms of “this developer isn’t releasing stuff according to my wishes” – Well, boohoo. Last time I checked, people get pretty angry when games are released before they’re finished.

9. OrbitMonkey

As i’ve before, who needs Diablo, when you can play Dragon Age 2?

10. Maximum Payne

@9 Not sure if serious.
    Hope not.

11. OlderGamer

Blizz has always favored horde anyway.

My biggest prob, and I have many when it comes to wow, the way cati changed talants skills and such. The game has always been a bit cookie cutter class wise. I just hadn’t realized how bad it had become untill I started playing again(my brother started playing and asked me to join him so I did). I had been playing Rift, where you have a tremendious amount of freedome to customize your talent trees. But in wow, nothing. No hybrid builds anymore. Nothing to do really, cept pick, Ret pally or Prot pally. Fire mage vs Frost. Whatever, it so limiting that you can’t retool your talents to be a bit of what you want. And worse every ret pally out there is going to have the exact same build. Exactly the same. And in end game they will be collecting the exact same pieces of gear/ Its like playing an arcade console game in terms of it toon development.

Thats my biggest problem with wow.

But of course Horde are going to be favoured by highscool and collage males. I play ally, and half my guild is female. Maybe more. It was destented to be that way from the begining. It is just that as more players leave the game, the casuals(if there is such a wow player) are going to be the first to go. So that depletes the ally. And you can really see it when it comes to stuff like BG.

It just is what it is.

12. OrbitMonkey

^ lets just say I’m following Blizzards example on this one ;-)

13. GwynbleiddiuM

@8 There are a good number of solutions on that 55-56 pages. Faction imbalance is lesser issue compared to having people to play with. Also a good number of realms are died/dying out. Blizzard is already putting FCM for highly populated realms, I fail to see why they shouldn’t put one for highly deserted realms.

Since Cataclysm released our realm is keep losing players and guilds to other realms, I’m sure that’s the case with many realms as well but this makes everything hard. It’d be impossible to have a steady progress with enough people. 3 months ago we were doing 25 man raids and now they only have a 10man raid, and alt runs for raiders if the GM has the time for it.

All in all, if you allocate some time and read a few posts on that topic, you’d see the argument isn’t baseless.

BTW it’s not me who’s promoting world PvP for his new expansion Mist of Pandaria. They’re focusing on faction wars and they are promoting the crap out of world pvp. If they’re doing so they need to balance realms, other wise it’ll be a one sided gank fest.

My realm: http://www.wowprogress.com/pve/eu/skullcrusher

According to wowprogress server pop iss 1 to 0.4, how exactly we’re to survive faction battle on this server? :D

And just check the roster from t11 to t13, most of the guilds from t11 era are either transferred or disbanded. And this is just one realm. I’m sure there are better examples.

@11 I hear ya, I miss Corpse Explosion myself :D and I absolutely despise horde.