Japanese charts: 3DS surges, Vita stays down

Wednesday, 22nd February 2012 18:46 GMT By Patrick Garratt

New Love Plus has taken the software chart in Japan for 3DS and Konami this week, while the Nintendo console continues to soar on the hardware side. Vita’s Japanese misfortunes continue, however.

Here’s this week’s chart for the week ending February 19, courtesy of GAF. Get all of last week’s data here.

Software sales

1. New Love Plus (Konami, 3DS) – 104,969 NEW
  2. Binary Domain (Sega, PS3) – 73,683 NEW
  3. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy (Square Enix, 3DS) – 67,206 NEW
  4. Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo, 3DS) – 22,015 (Life to date: 1,506,522)
  5. Super Mario 3D Land (Nintendo, 3DS) – 17,791 (1,348,776)
  6. Monster Hunter 3G (Capcom, 3DS) – 17,490 (1,249.833)
  7. Samurai Warriors 3 Z Special (Koei Tecmo, PSP) – 17,125 NEW
  8. Resident Evil: Revelations (Capcom, 3DS) – 15,666 (231,907)
  9. Suikoden: Tsumugareshi Hyakunen no Toki (Konami, PSP) – 13,695 (75,479)
  10. Gravity Rush (Sony Computer Entertainment, Vita) – 10,219 (53,680)
  11. Tekken 3D: Prime Edition (Bandai Namco Games, 3DS) – 9421 NEW
  12. Kyokugen Dasshutsu ADV: Zennin Shiboudesu (Chunsoft, 3DS) – 9307 NEW
  13. Gran Turismo 5 Spec II (Sony Computer Entertainment, PS3) – 8169 (42,198)
  14. Just Dance Wii (Nintendo, Wii) – 7643 (542,589)
  15. Kyokugen Dasshutsu ADV: Zennin Shiboudesu (Chunsoft, Vita) – 6538 NEW
  16. Armored Core V (From Software, PS3) – 6430 (212,784)
  17. Inazuma Eleven Go: Shine / Dark (Level 5, 3DS) – 6268 (393,130)
  18. Monster Hunter Freedom 3 (PSP the Best) (Capcom, PSP) – 5223 (197,031)
  19. Wii Sports Resort with Remote Plus (Nintendo, Wii) – 5135 (873,120)
  20. Nintendogs + Cats (Nintendo, 3DS) – 4839 (501,169)

Hardware sales (last week in brackets)

1. 3DS: 94,667 (67,558)
  2. PlayStation 3: 21,993 (22,002)
  3. PSP: 14,824 (15,860)
  4. Vita: 12,309 (13,939)
  5. Wii: 7874 (8206)
  6. DS: 1557 (1608)
  7. PlayStation 2: 1433 (1239)
  8. Xbox 360: 983 (1139)

1. Razor

“Quite frankly, it scares me if people think that the Japanese launch is struggling.”

lol @ a certain Mr. Jack Tretton.

2. Talyis

Idk I’d say it’s doing well for them not having any decent Japanese games! Gravity Rush is new so reception for that is minimal wait until a Tales game or FF or Monster Hunter game hit!

3. manamana

Incredible how the PS2 isn’t going to die. They still manage to sell good numbers of this old lady worldwide. I bet the same will happen to PS3 when it hits 99€ a couple of years from now …

4. Dragon246

Frankly , sony REALLY needs some japanese centric games for a bounceback. They are focusing on western launch now but I really hope a new MH comes to vita sooner than later. Also many gamers buy vita games online so the game sales is much higher than noted by physical sales.

5. poketrainer

That’s the issue with relying on third parties to make system selling software for your consoles Sony. They can stop anytime they want, just ask Nintendo.

6. OlderGamer

@3I doubt it.

The PS2 doesn’t need an internet to work, sell, or use many of its products.

Like the xb360, the PS3 is just as much a service box as a game system. Pull the plug on that service feed and you pretty much have an emply shell.

And likly once it gets to a certian point, PS4 will sport Uncharted collections, Resistance collections, and the like. Thus making the next Sony service oriented box more enticing. If this gen has told us anything it is that you don’t need old hardware to play old games. They will be happy to resell you a copy of whatever PS3 game the public demands for on your PS4.

I think the PS2 does so well because it is a free standing game system. It has a hella large libary of quality games, and once you buy the game, you can play it as often as you like, something todays digitaly dependant console games and services may not be able to claim ten years from now.

I know once LIVE shuts down my DLC is pretty much gone. Esp if the hardware needs replacing, because I won’t be able to redownload it if the service is shut off. Had that happen to me on Xboxone. Not to mention but many of todays biggest games require online servers, and shuting them down is something that is sure to happen once they stop selling enough new copies.

I don’t think we will ever see a game system with the legs of the PS2.

7. Dragon246

@ Poketrainer, you are right. But the problem is that I cant play mario for 20 years and not be bored by it. It has got no story whatsoever. I cant play a game just for its mechanics.
    Also those same 3rd party developers made around 15 games just for vita launch knowing full well that launch software does not sell good.
    How was 3DS launch anyway? How many games did it have for launch? I cannot quite remember.
    I think you understand now that MH is not a nintendo capcom co-op.

8. John117

I wonder why Sony even bothered to follow up on a handheld console that sold poorly everywhere except in Japan… My PSP went in the drawer after I finished Burnout and was never seen again before a friend asked me if he could buy it for 53£ >> Which is around 400kr in Norway (Less than a fullprice game)