The Witcher 2 moved over 1.1 million units in 2011

Tuesday, 21st February 2012 13:53 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

CD Projekt has said The Witcher 2 moved 1,110,055 units on PC in 2011. The digital version sold 270,000 through digital distribution services, and 40,000 of those were through GoG.

The sequel’s sales also bolstered sales of the original title, which moved 401,543 copies last year.

The game was released in May of 2011 and by August had already moved 940,000 units with 400,000 sold in its first week.

“I have to admit, though, that the sales results for The Witcher, five years on from the game’s premier, are remarkable,” CDPR managing director Adam Badowski told Eurogamer. “If anything, they prove that the content we put into our games ages well.

“The Witcher will continue to generate buzz in the coming years.”

The Witcher 2 will land on Xbox 360 April 17, and the firm has numerous titles in the works.

1. YoungZer0

“If anything, they prove that the content we put into our games ages well.”

That’s because you guys continue to support your games even years after the release.

CDPR just fucking rocks. No question about it. 1.1 Million Units is great for a single platform game. I really hope 360 owners buy Witcher 2, because its worth every cent.

2. loki

Very good for PC
    Bad for AAA game

3. Old MacDonald

Surprised by how few of those 1.1 million copies were sold digitally. OTOH, the retail version was pretty awesome (essentially better than most collector’s editions, only at regular price), so maybe it just goes to show that if you put good stuff in a box people will buy it.

4. Talkar

I absolutely agree! It wasn’t as awesome as the first Witcher game, but it was still a great game!

5. YoungZer0

@3: Yep, i usually only buy digital when the retail version offers nothing interesting. The retail version of Witcher 2 is so fucking amazing, i didn’t even want to open it.

6. DSB

I thought the first one was pretty lousy myself, but The Witcher 2 is easily the best action RPG I’ve played.

Probably because it’s true to both sides. Not just action with a bit of RPG tacked on, or vice versa.

@5 Huh, really? One of the things that makes it so easy for me to only do digital is knowing that buying a box would get me nothing more than worthless plastic.

The only games I’d consider buying in stores are Blizzard games, they always do something with the box.

7. YoungZer0

@6: Yep, the backtracking in Witcher 1 drove me insane. Really liked the direction of Witcher 2. Too bad you couldn’t mod the game. The only thing i could do were some warpaints.

8. Edo

Good…good,It could have been better but we will see the third one nevertheless.They just need to tweak a couple of things like:decide whether it’s going to be open world or not and stick with it( TW2 was said to be an open world game when it actually wasn’t)double helix has to be removed completely as it has no place in a fantasy game,there needs to be some sort of punishment when you steal things(otherwise we’ll be again able to steal anything that is not nailed to the ground and get away with it)and of course better ending.

9. Maximum Payne

10. YoungZer0

@6: That’s what i meant. Usually retail version offer nothing but the DVD. The retail version of Witcher 2 had a map, a coin, a letter (which is still have not opened), papercraft Witcher, the complete walkthrough, DVD with ‘making of’ and soundtrack and of course the game.

@8: The Double Helix needs to be removed? Are you familiar with the Franchise? I mean Witcher are mutants after all.

11. Takeshi

Yup, first one was decent, but I only played it so I could easily sink into the second one. The second one was way more my kind of game, dynamic battle ftw.

What really won me over were the amazing screenshots Steam had of the game in its entry.

12. Edo

#10 I know that they are mutants but the mutagens in TW2 just feel out of place like they are forced upon us or something.

13. DSB

Most parts of a game are forced upon us. Some make you shoot guns, others make you fight with swords.

A genetically engineered monsterslayer using mutagens is hardly out of place. As I recall you don’t have to slot mutagens at all though, you can just leave them alone.

They sell for a lot don’t they?

@11 This did it for me :P

14. Takeshi

@13: Only just the launch trailer? Good choice nonetheless. ;)

15. Talkar

If you don’t like how the mutagens are represented in the game, don’t read the books xD Not that i think you’re going to, but really, it is a huge part of the Witcher universe.

I can tell you from experience, you do need mutagens on Insane difficulty :P