Mass Effect 3 gets extended Take Back Earth trailer

Tuesday, 21st February 2012 14:01 GMT By Johnny Cullen

The extended three-minute Take Back Earth trailer for Mass Effect 3 has appeared online, via AGB. Lots more to see than yesterday’s clip, with some stuff reused from the VGAs trailer two years ago, including Reaper ships landing across the world. Get the video below.

Mass Effect 3 launches on March 6 in the US and March 9 in the UK.

1. Talkar

I figured it out! The aliens in that game are the Scrin from C&C!

2. Night Hunter

Somehow this full trailer seems even more incohesive than the shorter cut. While I do admire the impressive CGI work I will look out for a proper launch trailer because lets be honest, CGI trailers are a tool to water your mouth but they hardly ever leave you really excited for a game because you know the finished product will look and feel completely different.

3. YoungZer0

I don’t understand why but this trailer is absolutely boring to me. What happened to Mass Effect? Back then the game would drive me insane, i loved everything about it, but now? What happened to the art-direction? Why does everything seem to be so dull and generic?

It lost a lot of personality, that’s for sure.

The demo didn’t get me interested in the slightest. Hopefully the side-quests are interesting as usual, otherwise i won’t buy it. We won’t see the inventory again, do we?

4. Maximum Payne

@3 Yep its boring until last 20s when music start.

5. DSB

I liked the condensed version better, but it’s a beautiful trailer.

Is it supposed to have that loud shrieking tone though? That’s pretty goddamn annoying. Why would you do that?

6. TheWulf

Well then… looks like the sunflowers are screwed. Silly sunflower-hating godmachines.

7. TheWulf

@3 – This isn’t surprising. The trailers for Mass Effect 2 ranged from a cure for insomnia to distasteful – and the end of Mass Effect 2 was kind of like that as well. However, I suspect that like 2, the best parts of 3 will be where you go off and dick around and forget about saving the Universe.

8. fearmonkey

I thought that was an amazing trailer…..

9. TheWulf

It’s definitely a spectacle, but I don’t think anyone is disputing that. I mean, graphically it’s incredible. I really don’t think that any of us are really going to stand up and say ‘no, that was fairly shit,’ because that would be unfair.

However, what it is is trad, troped, and cliched. It’s common. It’s the same issue I had with Amalur, but for some reason the people who have issues with Yet Another Space War Game don’t have issues with Yet Another Oversexed Generic Fantasy Game. Maybe it’s the ‘oversexed’ part. I don’t know. Perhaps Bioware just need to sex up their trailers.

The point though is is that the games industry seems to be floundering and it’s going for content which would only really be interesting to zombies, or people whom are at least partially zombified. The older you are, the more exposed you’ve been to this, the more the sentiment is generally going to be: I’m bored.

So, it’s a great trailer. It’s a fantastic trailer. It’s also a boring trailer. These things aren’t mutually exclusive. I’m about as bored by this trailer as I was by Amalur, Amalur bored me to tears as well, that game was monotonous enough to put a Red Bull-infused gerbil to sleep.

BUT… at least Mass Effect has those little loyalty missions. Those are usually a bit good. Morden’s and Legion’s missions in ME2, along with their dialogue, were fairly decent. Hardly perfect, but decent.

I suppose it’s unrealistic to expect everyone to be Obsidian and to crank out wonders like New Vegas. But that’s what I’d hope for.

New Vegas was like an oasis in a desert.

But yeah, so much of an over-enthusiastic effort Bioware and Bethesda alike are trying to make to the zombies (or the lowest common denominator, if you prefer) that it’s just… I don’t know. Everything is so generic, now.

I long for an RPG that’s genuinely odd, but has mainstream levels of funding.

10. TheWulf

You know what I miss? When a race of armadillo men with a pseudo-mesoamerican culture and dieselpunk technology wouldn’t be out of place. Back in the ’90s, anything goes.

These days, it’s like:

- Does it have oversexed women?
    - Does it have steroid pumped men?
    - Does it fulfil male power fantasies?
    - Does it have medieval castles?
    - Does it have fields and forests?
    - Does it have impossible feats of gorey nosnense?

GOOD. STOP THERE. NO MORE THAN THAT. DO NOTHING ELSE OTHER THAN THE ABOVE.

And that’s where RPGs are at right now.

It’s really depressing.

To be more relevant, the sci-fi version:

- Does it have oversexed women?
    - Does it have steroid pumped men?
    - Does it fulfil male power fantasies?
    - Does it have giant space battles, in space?
    - Does it have ground-based warfare of EPICNESS?
    - Does it have ridiculous space armour with glowy lights?
    - Does it have impossible feats of gorey nosnense?

GOOD. STOP THERE. NO MORE THAN THAT. DO NOTHING ELSE OTHER THAN THE ABOVE.

11. viralshag

I’m with you #8… I can’t bloody wait for the game.

@10, I’m not really sure what it is you’re looking for in a game but for me, personally, if some or most of what you mentioned was completely missing from a game I would be rather bored. And come to think of it, I can think of a few games in recent history that don’t just tick those boxes (or at least not all of them) which I still enjoyed.

12. OrbitMonkey

@ 10 Over-sexed females and Muscled male power fantasies have been a staple of human mythology since the times of Ancient Greece. Books, films and art are stuffed full of them. Complaining that video games also follow this trend says more about your own issues with gender roles and human archetypes, than it does about the state of the industry.

Just saying.