3DS fastest ever console to hit 5 million sales in Japan

Monday, 20th February 2012 08:33 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Nintendo’s announced it has sold 5 million units of 3DS in Japan, speaking a year after the machine launched.

The number means it’s the fastest selling console to hit the 5 million figure in Japan, managing the feat at 52 weeks, ahead of the original DS at 56 weeks and Game Boy Advance at 58 weeks.

The data is sell-through information – retail sold to consumer – provided by Media Create.

The milestone comes ahead of the handheld’s launch one year ago this coming Sunday. Following a promising start, sales started faltering to the extent Nintendo drastically cut the console’s price.

Since then, it’s been big numbers for 3DS.

Thanks, Andriasang.

1. Brenna Hillier

Well well well. That’s me eating my nacho hat again I guess.

2. Joe Musashi

I’m tempted but refuse to buy until the inevitable remodel with butt-ugly Circle Pad Pro functions built into the unit. It’s not like I have a shortage of other games vying for my time. I’m sure ‘tendo will cope without my $$$ for a little longer. :)

JM

3. Dragon246

Just goes to show what good games can do, although I feel lack of competition also helped it a bit. Anyway, good luck to it.

4. Gekidami

^ The 30% price drop probably helped too.

5. Razor

Good Lord O_O

Sony, you watching?

6. Dragon246

@5 , YES they are watching and they are happy about it in some ways.
    @Gekidami, of course. 250$ is waaaaaaay too much for a handheld that costs 100$ to make even if you add other charges to it.Contrast that with sony who probably hardly making any money out of vita hardware sales, but they have a better console .

7. Da Man

NDS launch price was $150 iirc. Pricecut didn’t ‘help’, because this thing was overpriced at the start.

8. polygem

i really enjoy the 3ds. happy it finally sells well too. some great games are in the pipeline. i am not that much interested in resident evil and mgs3 strangeley though. i´d probably get mgs 3 but i am really more interested in games like kid icarus and paper mario, kingdom hearts and so on atm.
    i also recently bought a (awesome looking mario 25th anniversary)dsi xl. i love that thing. one of my favourite consoles i have ever owned i think. to play zelda with it is impressive, also to solve a layton riddle with my gf on this device is great fun and very convenient. i owned a ds lite years ago but traded it in and then had a psp for quite some time. the ds didn´t get me hooked back then. this has changed for sure.
    right now i enjoy the hell out of the (3)ds and mostly many of the older ds games. it´s an awesome little machine and there are some true gems to find.
    that said: i don´t really need a second stick on the 3ds but i really prefer the overall design of the dsi´s. i´d love to see a redesign in this direction lookwise, also a 3ds xl would be awesome, with improved batteries too. i´d probably buy one of those – instantly.
    i am not interested in the vita right now – it´s an awesome machine too i believe, but at the moment i really can´t see why i should pick one up.

9. poketrainer

@Dragon246

You can’t use the estimated $100 cost of parts and act like it means something. There are many more costs that go into it, so the 3DS (and Vita) cost even more to make then the estimated cost of parts. Its just not that simple.

Why do you say the 3DS costs $100 (just parts) and was over priced at $250 (Which I’m not saying it wasn’t) but act like Sony is selling the Vita at a loss (which they probably are) when the costs of a 3G Vita is about $160.

Either way you look at it, the 3DS and Vita have about a $150 mark up if you go by just cost of parts (which is another reason why you don’t go by just that)

It seems odd that you’re choosing to acknowledge one (costs of parts of the consoles) while ignoring the other.

10. OrbitMonkey

Like this is truely surprising. I’ve bought 2. Why? 2 kids. Simple.

Now I’m not saying only kids play the thing… But I doubt parents will be rushing out to buy little johnny a vita, when a 3ds is just as good for a good deal less.

11. poketrainer

Apparently, Pokemon Grey could be announced this week so sales of the 3DS in Japan will official become an issue of national secuirity

Obviously (duh) I’m all for Pokemanz. Its also curious to see if the 3DS can outsell the PS3 LTD in Japan by the summer

12. Dragon246

@ Poketrainer, read my comment carefully , I said other charges included. Also I am not saying current pricing a 3ds is wrong , but its initial pricing was. They overpriced it big time.

13. Noodlemanny

I wonder how ridiculously good the PS vita is going to do. Its sure got my salivary glands going.