PS3 has “a lot of legs left” and it shouldn’t be “dismissed”, says Evolution

Saturday, 18th February 2012 20:37 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Evolution Studios’ Paul Rustchynsky, game director for MotorStorm RC, believes PS3 has “a lot of legs left in it” and doesn’t feel people should “dismiss it right now” even with all rumors of next-gen floating around the Internet.

Speaking in an interview with Official PlayStation Magazine, Rustchynsky feels that like PS2 before it, the “technological barriers” will be “pushed quite until the past minute,” as Naughty Dog, he said, has done with The Last of Us – proving there’s more that can be used inside the black box than what is assumed by the public.

“I think the PS3 has a lot of legs left in it yet, I don’t think people should dismiss it right now,” he said. “There are so many exclusive developers working for Sony right now, making really exciting games and I don’t many of those have been announced yet.

“As proved with the PS2, I don’t think the technological barriers are pushed quite until the past minute. I think The Last Of Us, when they announced that trailer was all in engine, I think people were wowed by that and rightly so. Those guys are incredibly talented.”

Rustchynsky said that at Sony, a lot of internal technology groups work with each other, and use a lot of Sony-developed internal tech to create games. So, using Naughty Dog as an example again, if the firm “innovate and produce something really good that’ll proliferate through the streams,” other studios will get access to the technology.

“It’s difficult though sometimes because technology isn’t always compatible,” he said. “People usually build things in isolation, they won’t always think about how you might want to implement in their games. People will develop different technologies but it won’t always be applicable for your game.

“Sony do work together well as a worldwide studio. The results you see from internal studios is that we always get the best out of the platform. That’s partly because we know the platform the best and also we collaborate as developers.”

To reiterate: PS3 is still relevant; developers can still create great-looking games for it; and tech created at Sony can be shared with others.

Motorstorm RC will launch alongside Vita February 22, and a PS3 version will be released as well.

1. _LarZen_

Didnt know anyone was dismissing the PS3.

Except the fanboys ofc….

2. Nostanogod

I think he was talking to Erth, but he wasn’t aware it’s like hitting your head against the wall…

3. GrimRita

Not being a console person myself but the PS3 is far more powerful than the 360. However, developers/publishers for whatever reason dont tap into this extra power – they just port 360 versions onto all formats to probably save money.

But yet, despite the industry crying out(so it appears) for the next gen of consoles, most cant even afford to develop for the current gen.

4. DSB

I think it was a case of Sony conquering the planet, so they shot for the moon, and expected no opposition.

Things rarely work that way.

Publishers are pinching pennies more than every before, so I’d say it makes a lot more sense to focus on accomodating developers and tweaking your software and services.

The game isn’t won and lost by who holds the best first party line-up.

5. Lounds

The PS3 is hardly a loser in this console war, it’s only lost because of how highly priced it was over the xbox over the first 3 years. Also the PS3 is having a hard time filling it’s older brother shoes. Back to subject, prime example to this articles point, Black was a late PS2 game and proved there was juice left in that machine.

6. Razor

“Not being a console person myself but the PS3 is far more powerful than the 360.”

Haha, best laugh I’ve had all day. Cheers :D

7. OlderGamer

I am spending more time on my PS3 these days then I am on my xbox360. Just stating the facts as they are.

I can only think of one genration of hardware were the most powerful system on the market was the market leader. And was the 32bit race. PSone out performed Saturn (in 3D) and 3d was where the market was heading.

Most of the time the lowest common denominator wins.

But I think you could make a case that even more then launch price, JPNs shift away from consoles, has hurt PS3. I can not think off of the top of my head a JP dev’d game(not on Wii) that has dominated sales charts. And as PS platforms have always been the first pick for JP devs, I think that is where the weakest link has been for Sony. And I am guessing Sony knows that and has been pushing their own 1st/2nd party IP so hard(kudos to them for doing that btw).

I used to wonder what Sony would do if the game pubs started puting their games on other platforms. Nintendo has some of the best inhouse IPs in the industry. Sega(historicly) has a great line up of IPs. MS had the MechAssults, Halos, PGR, Fable, and gears. Sony had very little in house. They did have some games that used to be big sellers that no one thought would go multiplat like Spyro and Crash, hell even stuff like Tekken, Resident Evil and the sort. Or even FF.

I don’t think Sony built their brands in the past early enough or strong enough. I think MS is having the same problem right now, a few of their stable games are getting away from them.

If you don’t make and own your own games, your setting yourself up for trouble. If other people slow down, stop supporting your platform, or spread their reach to include rivel platforms, then you really have a problem. The last thing you would want in that situation is to release new hardware a year behind your competition, price it to the moon, smile and acting like nothing is wrong. Toss in an out performed online service, and all things considered I think Sony is lucky to be even were they are.

And I guess the answer to the very question of “how is PS3″ doing is prolly down to where you live. In NA, its ok. In EU, it does better. I’d imagine in JP even better when compared in all regions against their biggest competitor – XB360.

Its all acidemic really. Nintendo cleaned up this gen. The reasons? Affordable hardware. They make and own their own games. They don’t depend on anyone else to make their platform strong. And so long as they, Nintendo, can keep doing that…they will be just fine.

8. Da Man

PS3 is so powerful, it can’t perform proper anti-aliasing and you have to resort to weirdo cpu techniques, It can also do cross game chat better than anything else. It ‘s just how japanese roll.

N64 had better graphics than PSX and Saturn.

9. _LarZen_

A console is only as good as the developers they have for it, and so far the best developers has coded games for the PS3. Just look at games like Killzone,Uncharted and Heavy Rain to pick some.

Im not saying they are good games buy technically and in terms of eye candy it beats everything on the X360.

But The Witcher 2 is on its way to the X360, could that be the game that evens the score a little?

10. Erthazus

Of course it has a lot of legs. For the company that created ok looking games they have a lot of legs.

Also, Ps3 is just hitting it’s stride (c)

11. OlderGamer

“N64 had better graphics than PSX and Saturn.”

Yes and no. No one beat the Saturn for 2D games. Some Nintendo games were much better looking. But most of the Ninetendo games then and now, go for a simpler, cleaner look. There is often less going on across the screen, making what is there look nice. Some games for N64 really shined thro, but some PSx games looked nice too. Look at the jRPGs for example, some really nice ones on PSx.

Thats wasn’t a dig at Nintendo games either, btw. I love the artistic style that comes across in Nintendos games. That is esp true this gen. Games like Kirby Return to Dreamland, truely fantasic to look at. Big, bright, crisp, colorful graphics. I really enjoy them.

12. DSB

@9 Fair enough, the machine has power. But it doesn’t really matter unless you can convert that into marketshare.

The PS3 isn’t a loser in it’s own right, it’s a popular console, but it’s still barely sold a third of the PS2, while Microsoft and Nintendo have quintupled both their marketshares.

That can’t possibly be satisfying for Sony’s leaders and investors.

I don’t think making a powerful console has provided them with any sort of advantage, quite the opposite. It might empower the first party developers who are able to use it, but ultimately EA sports games and Call of Dutys outsell a first party release without even breaking a sweat.

In my opinion that’s where they’d be better off putting their resources, and I’d be surprised if that wasn’t the case for the PS4.

I used to think the PS2 and PS3 had some of the world’s least intuitive interfaces. Then I saw the Metro layout for 360. I reckon there’s a bit of equalization going on there at least.

13. Da Man

It is, but all the games you listed, #9, have enclosed spaces and very little rendered at once.

The PSX jrpgs had smart assets, the thing struggled with anything half decent looking, especially 3d.

14. fearmonkey

@3 “the PS3 is far more powerful than the 360″
    I congratulate you on carrying on the lie that was Sony marketing, it’s just crazy that people still say this. They are similar in power, the PS3 might have an edge in certain situations just as the 360 has against the PS3. Overall, PS3 has the better CPU, 360 has the better GPU, 360 has more avilable ram, and PS3 has far more storage though it’s slower than the 360 which requires the installations to the HD.
    I personally like shaper textures with less loading and no mandatory installations to the HD. I like placing in a game disk and playing it immediately.
    The PS3 does rock though when it comes to games specifially made for it, it’s not “far more powerful” but it does have the ability to discover more performance through it’s life thanks to its more complex CPU.
    I remember reading about how powerful the PS2′s theoritcal performance was against the gamecube and Xbox. Sony fanboys were saying up to the end it was more powerful, even though the games looked like crap thanks to a 4mb framebuffer.

15. fearmonkey

@11 – The N64 was a powerful polygon pushing machine for it’s day, too bad the textures looked like mud and the worlds very small due to the cartridge format.

The PS3 in the beginning didnt have some of the bare necessities that the 360 started with, it took 6 months to a year for developers to figure out anti-alisingas an example.

I still have my PSX and Saturn. Those were great machines in the day, though I prefered the PSX till I got a 3DFX card, then i didnt play console games again till I got the Dreamcast.
    Oldergamer was right – nothing touched 2d games on the Saturn, as it was made to be the best at that. Sony though a wrench into their plans with the PSX being so 3D heavy, Saturn was not a great 3D machine.

16. Christopher Jack

Microsoft’s neXtBox should simply be a customized Win8 gaming HTPC. If they want it to do well though, they’ll have to alter it so you can’t download 3rd party software like Steam, unless of course they were to partner with Valve. I’d also like to see Valve try this but with a more open approach.

17. lexph3re

@14 and yet you lie to yourself. There isn’t anything noteworthy saying Ps3 can’t properly AA it’s all in the developers choice of manipulating the hardware. Everytime I read that arguement I just laugh because you are comparing beer to wine. Also, Ps3 doesn’t need a mandatory install to every game. I.e DS2,SCV,GOW,UC ect. The list keeps going and honestly the only time you see Mandatory is for 3rd party titles that are clearly built in favor of the 360′s architecture.

You don’t have equivalent standards for the technology either. Hint’s being. 360 plays a dvd so fast that it can damage the disc yet ps3 is inferior because it doesn’t need to process data that fast and still keeps parity? Really look at that and tell me that the Ps3 is sub-standard.

18. Da Man

If you really think PS3 is that, and the 360 is the cheaper one, then you have no clue. Apparently better durability is somehow relevant to performance.

#14 hit the nail on the head. If PS3 is ‘far more more powerful’ then the Xbox was ‘lightyears’ ahead of PS2. Complete hyperbole.

19. OrbitMonkey

Seriously, if your still willy waving over which console has more power, THIS late into the gen…

20. Dannybuoy

By the power of Greyskull

21. Froseidon

The PS3 is definitely the strongest console out there at the minute. Although, the Xbox is by far the strongest market-wise. The Wii sales kinda slowed massively, PS3 is only doing better than the Xbox in Japan.

I think the thing that makes it like this is because the Wii sold like wildfire on it’s release, but then everyone had one and didn’t need another. With it being a family console, whats the point of having 2 in the house?
    PS3 was struck by bad luck with all the hacking problems and the fact that they were barred from Europe for a few days because of a row over the Blu-Ray technology. The pricing also wasn’t the best thing.
    The Xbox was poor to begin with, probably due to RRoD but it seems to have made such a comeback recently,doing well in almost all places bar Japan (where the PS3 dominates).

Overall, I think the Wii was innovative, people saw that, and jumped on it, but being that family console, 2 per household seemed pointless. PS3 is powerful, but Sony don’t utilise that, so the PS3 is dying slowly. The Xbox, being middle speced may also have an effect. The reason game developers don’t utilise this power is becuase it is cheaper to make the game for the Xbox then port it over to the PS3, losing quality but saving money.

PS2 dominated it’s market, but the PS3 failed in this one. The Xbox failed in it’s market, but the 360 succeeded in this market. The Gamecube got shat on, but made a comeback with the Wii. Not sure how the Wii U will do however…

Edit: Early pricing also has something to do with it. The original xbox was way over-priced compared to the PS2 but also had more power, it failed. They seem to have swapped roles in this one, with the PS3 being more powerful but pricey, and failing.

22. MegaGeek1

Sony and Microsoft should just combine their resources and release a system together – The X-Station or The PlayBox (I’m partial to PlayBox because I’m a perv). They could both bare the brunt of selling some amazing hardware at a loss, then both bask in the glorious software sales.

The only thing detrimental to come out of it would be the lack of fan boy trolling on gaming forums….. and quite frankly I don’t know if Im willing to pay that price just yet.

23. itsucks

“. I think The Last Of Us, when they announced that trailer was all in engine, I think people were wowed by that and rightly so. Those guys are incredibly talented.”

AAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, the pre-rendered bullshot footage, like in all Uncharted cutscenes. these schmucks are full of shit.

24. OrbitMonkey

Playbox… I like that ;-)

25. dr_lovejoy

People also seem to forget that most developers will use Microsoft’s development tools and will develop cross-platform games initially in Direct-x. This is then converted over to OpenGL for the PS3, as such this leads to shitty ports. And yes it’s true that the GPU is weaker in the PS3, it does however have a more superior CPU (a nightmare to learn). As such this CPU can take some of the work off the GPU in the form of Physics, AA etc.. I have done and still do a lot of GPGPU programming which is similar to the Cell and can say that if used right the PS3 is the more powerful machine, but marginally.

@14, the 360 does not have more ram. They both have 512, the difference is the 360 ram is available globally while the PS3 is restricted to 256 for the GPU and the other 256 for system.

PS let’s be honest both machines are weak and a complete let down from the so called 1080p experience we were promised. Most of the better looking games are corridor based and still suffer from major screen tearing. Though that does not mean they are crap game-play wise.

26. jdfoster00

@25 I totally agree. But when you see games Like Uncharted, Heavy Rain, Infamous 3, LBP 2 and God Of War on the ps3 I think they show that ps3 is more powerful than the 360. It’s not hard to see. Also I like the ps3 – pc cross platform play. I THINK the psn is far superior in that way to xbl (although it doesn;t have cross game chat which you have to pay for on 360 remember) Also 256 players… remember MAG? Can XBL handle that?

27. Froseidon

@26 – “Also I like the ps3 – pc cross platform play. I THINK the psn is far superior in that way to xbl (although it doesn;t have cross game chat which you have to pay for on 360 remember)”
    -Ehem, Shadow Run. Also, you know that money? Goes into improving the service, something PSN is lacking (look at the hackings).

“Also 256 players… remember MAG? Can XBL handle that?”
    That is nothing to do with PS3 / 360. That’s servers dumbass. Also, it lagged to shit, so your argument is invalid.

Also, those games you named? I’d say Halo and Gears and Alan Wake are on par. Those games aren’t better in any way. Graphics = Same. FPS = 60 on both. Nothing different. Don’t start spewing crap.

28. Gekidami

^ And yet i see a hefty amount of crap being spewed in your post too.

“The Xbox is by far the strongest market-wise.”

I’d suggest you actually look up each consoles sales figures before buying into this load of misinformation.

29. Froseidon

@28 – Of course, it’d have to be the Wii by far. It sold so well on release, that it dominated for a time. 95 million = Wii. 66 Million = Xbox. 62 Million = PS3. Although, that is overall. Also, that is only unit sales. I also meant everything, that includes game, controllers, Misc (Kinect / Move) etc.
    Unit sales for 2011, the Playstation led by about 1 million (if memory serves me correctly) but that is just unit sales. Look further into Kinect and Move, game sales. Xbox for instance, sold best over the Christmas period, putting xbox in the lead for 2012 (considering not much has been done yet in 2012). For example: Look at Kinect, it is starting to be implemented into businesses and the likes.

I s’pose I should have mentioned the current market, not overall. Fault on my behalf =/ The Wii hit a larger demographic, something the other two didn’t, and that was families. Xbox seemed to be aimed at the gamers and the Playstation for the entertainment. Both of which are smaller than families.

30. absolutezero

Nuh uh SNES can display over 6 billion million colours that totally means its better.

No way Mega Drive does what Nintendon’t!!

Its heartening to see that what you play on is still more important than what you play.

31. Froseidon

@30 – Games are the more important thing =/ I got an Xbox for Halo and Gears, also Mass Effect was Xbox exclusive. Admittedly, I have wanted to play MGS4 and Heavy Rain, but I already had an xbox.

32. mojo

just give us more god of war and all will be fine!!