Sleeping Dogs gets first footage, impressions

Friday, 17th February 2012 10:23 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Square’s lifted an embargo on impressions from a Hong Kong press trip for the newly reincarnated Sleeping Dogs. GTTV went live with the first footage overnight, which you can get at the link, but Machinima’s added some of it into an interview with UFG producer Stephen Van Der Mescht and Square Enix London head Lee Singleton. Get that and a bunch of other links below.

The game’s out in second-half this year for PS3 and 360.

1. pennyman

hey hey – don’t forget to include our first impressions for COIN-OP TV :)

2. orakaa

Can’t wait !
    I really want to play this game ^^

3. Edo

It definitely looks great,they have improved the combat,attention to details looks staggering and the driving/shooting sections look spectacular.They even confirmed that you can do some of the stunts similar to what we have seen in Just Cause 2(jumping from one moving vehicle to another)and if the story will match up everything else then this could definitely be this year’s sleeper hit.

4. Erthazus

and Activision dropped the product.

What an assholes.

5. OrbitMonkey

That looks really fun. Digging the Hong Kong setting and the fluid combat. Who doesn’t want to shove a badguy into a airvent during a rooftop fistfight?

Welldone Square for picking this up ;-)

6. Christopher Jack

Defs in my top 5 upcoming games list, as is GTA V, Farcry 3, Halo 4 & I’d Aliens.

7. The_Red

While not as awesome looking as the mindblowing live action trailer, it still looks pretty decent. The whole story of seeing a project killed by assholes at Activ, crushing the dreams of many talented developers that spend months on this game and then seeing the project find a new life is like a modern fairy tale.

Even if the game itself turns out bad, I’ll always remember this sweet side of the project. Right now the game feels like an obvious mix of Stranglehold, Batman Arkham City, GTA3 / Drive and Wheelman. Hopefully the final product can be more than the sum of its parts.

8. DSB

Looks like a True Crime game.

Shoothing cars with an uzi makes them jump into the air and explode.

Nice environments though.

9. YoungZer0

Yeah, looks like Activision fucked up good with canceling the game. Good to see that the guys at Square Enix have a brain.

10. Edo

#8 “Shooting cars with an uzi makes them jump into air and explode”.Shooting car’s tires while it is moving really fast actually DOES make it flip into the air(proved by the mythbusters)and the explosion part only makes it look even cooler. ;).

11. DSB

@10 I guess the only problem with that is that he’s shooting the trunk. I still doubt that shooting the rear tires while at speed means a car will jump 6 feet in the air and explode.

It’s not so much about the fact that it’s silly though, because most things in games are, I just don’t think it looks very impressive.

If I do something simple in a videogame, and the reaction is totally unproportionate to what I actually did, it leaves me numb. A bit like if you shoot a pistol, and the bullet causes a nuclear explosion. Something like GTA IV that actually has a car being damaged, windows shot out etc. is a lot more effective. Suspension of disbelief I guess.

Or you could save the boom for when it actually mattered, instead of simply blazing down the interstate flipping and exploding cars by shooting them in the trunk.

12. Edo

#11 Surely by now(or after finishing GTA IV)you have figured out that the realism is boring.I mean why would I in games do something that I can do in real life,like bowling or hanging out with my buddies and having a couple of drinks(again GTA IV)?I would rather blow shit up and have the faith of entire world depend on me,you know just like in movies,but hey that’s just me.

13. DSB

@12 You’re completely missing the point.

GTA IV was amazing technically, Rockstar just happened to use that technology to make a lousy game.

Suspension of disbelief matters whether you’re watching a sci fi movie or social realism. It’s about impact.

Maybe Sleeping Dogs is gonna be balls to the wall crazy, I wouldn’t know, maybe it’ll fit in with the rest of the game, but it just looks boring watching a guy put a few rounds into the trunk of a car after which the car flips and explodes in a huge ball of fire, only to have the exact same thing happen 3 seconds later.

It’s the technical equivalent of overacting. If I punch a guy on the arm and he throws himself down in pain, pretending it’s broken, I don’t commend him on his performance, I go “Wow, really?”. I can’t relate to his action, and as such I distance myself from it. An explosion is not something you want people to shrug at.

I’m not saying it should be like GTA IV, or that it should be realistic, I’m saying it shouldn’t make me bored watching it.

14. Edo

#13 Gotcha.

15. freedoms_stain

I thought it looked badass.

I will watch this one.

16. Da Man

Apparently it will be a lame sandbox game with lots of inane minigames and, yet again a pointlessly recreated large, yet essentially empty city. Acti made the right decision to drop this rubbish.

A fact-finding mission to Hong Kong resulted in thousands of photographs and interviews with former Triad criminals.
    Lol, really? Nothing better to do I see.