Mass Effect 3 on Origin doesn’t contain “an intrusive DRM scheme”, says Bioware

Friday, 17th February 2012 21:38 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Casey Hudson, executive producer on Mass Effect 3, has said those playing the game through Origin need not worry about any intrusive DRM, and furthermore, they can absolutely play the game offline.

Speaking with CVG, Hudson said Origin isn’t any different than other digital services out there, as it allows access to digital featured PC game “have now.”

“We use Origin, and it’s interesting because really, it’s just a way to get access to the online and digital features that, you know, generally, PC games have now,” he said. “I think people are going to be fine with it.

“I think that the people who try Mass Effect 3 on Origin will realise that it’s not an intrusive DRM scheme. It’s just a way for you to sign up for the online services that you’re going to get on an ongoing basis through Mass Effect 3. Just like you get with any other kind of online digital distribution, or multiplayer or whatever. It’s not something that requires you to always be online – you can play Mass Effect 3 offline.”

The game will require a one time, single authorization, and installs will not be limited.

1. Mineral4r7s

**** u EA.

I am sick of digital distribution cause of Steam I won’t install another spybot on my computer.

You cant even buy physical copys anymore as it requires you to have Steam / origin. Its making me mad.

2. Froseidon

@1 – You know, I honestly don’t see the problem of having another one on you’re computer. You already have Steam, why not have both? It’s not like they negatively affect you in any way. I really don’t see people’s problems. Just being dicks for sake of it if you ask me…

3. DSB

So uh, when do you expect the cops to break down your door and kick the shit out of you because of that awfully sinister Origin/Steam spyware?

Hasn’t happened to me yet, I guess I must be pretty fucking special.

Better get a Guy Fawkes mask and keep track of the nearest abandoned subway stations just in case.

Can’t be too careful with all those spies around!

4. jacobvandy

People don’t hate Origin because they think it’s another form of Ubi-DRM or whatever, they hate Origin because it sucks. Well, and they don’t trust EA enough to install software that they admit is used to collect data from your computer. It has only a few of the same features as Steam, and even those are very inferior and glitchy. The only reason to use it is for big name EA releases (everything else will be bought on Steam or elsewhere because Origin never has any sales), so you don’t have that community of millions drawn to it that are using it all day every day.

EA has just dropped the ball on so many levels with this service, including not updating it hardly at all in the nearly year-long span since they’ve released it. (It’s supposedly a BETA, shouldn’t it be getting regular content and polish updates?) The only game of theirs with an online presence that could possibly buoy Origin to a level that would compete with Steam is Battlefield 3, but they were so intent on competing head-to-head with Call of Duty that they made an extraneous service, COMPLETELY separate from Origin, and stole their own thunder. Just utterly massive failure on their part. People aren’t going to flock to using Origin because of Mass Effect 3. Lots of people will install it, but only because it’s required; they will not be using it to any meaningful degree until there is an actual reason to.

5. Phoenixblight

“updating it hardly at all in the nearly year-long span since they’ve released it.”

I have been using it since it was just EA store and I have had 6 updates in the last few months.

“Origin because of Mass Effect 3. Lots of people will install it, but only because it’s required; they will not be using it to any meaningful degree until there is an actual reason to.”

This is the same for Steam. I don’t use it unless A) There is a game on sale that I want B) I am playing a game through Steam. Thats it.

This seems to be the same trend with my classmates and coworkers who are all on my friendlist. Its a digital retailer, that’s it for me. Same is for Origin the difference is Origin doesn’t yet have a catalog as big as Steam. But they seem to be increasing it slowly. /shrug

6. jacobvandy

Notice I said “hardly at all,” not “never.” I know they’ve had some patches… But what did they do? I’ve only seen minor bug fixes. Where are the new features? Or improvements to existing features? The only news about Origin in the past several months is that it is or isn’t required for this game or that game.

7. TheWulf

Pretty much that. People are so ridiculous about the whole Origin thing, but I could give anyone two important reasons as to why I dislike Origin and will choose Steam (or Gamer’s Gate, or GoG, or whatever) instead if I had the choice.

1.) Origin is missing some important functionality off the bat. The most important thing though is the ability to move the games between drives. If you take your ENTIRE Steam folder and move it from one drive to another, it just continues to work like nothing had happened (no, seriously). If you do that with Origin? Shits are flipped. So many shits.

2.) Origin has a password scheme which really bugs me. REALLY bugs me. Why? It’s insecure. So insecure. It’s like BEGGING to be hacked. This is my primary reason for not liking it. Short passwords are easy for a machine to guess, no matter what clever things you THINK you’ve done to make it secure. The only truly secure password is a long one. I’ve known this for a long time.

Origin tweaked me by refusing to let me have a password over 16 characters. Sixteen? Seriously? That’s sickeningly short. Again, having a password that short is like BEGGING to be hacked. It’s like holding up a sign which reads “HACKMEHACKMEHACKMEHACKME!”.

If you feel secure with that then… well, more luck to you, I guess?

Just don’t say I didn’t warn you when it all comes tumbling down.

8. DSB

The only time I’ve found an actual advantage in Origin is in the ability to change your account name/e-mail. Steam will only let you change the contact e-mail. Everything else is easily 5 years behind the curve.

@6 I don’t see EA being ready for that sort of thing at all. They’re not a company with any experience in dealing with actual people. Their support is legendary for how shit it is – I reckon because outsourcing to people who barely speaks english saves money – and I think that mentality is just reflected in how slow they’ve been in updating Origin.

Hiding behind how shit Steam was almost 10 years ago really isn’t good enough. They should’ve learned a thing or two since then.

9. absolutezero

Origin is a resource hungry pile of ass.

Its badly coded in the same way as iTunes, its just a chore to use. Its store front is cluttered and confused.

Its the same old story with ToR, release a game thats comparable to something thats 6 years old instead of the modern equivalent and expect people to put up with it as they add things in. Well no why should I use Origin Steam and a combination of sites (Gamersgate, GoG etc etc) does everything cheaper, more efficiently and with less worry about it fucking looking at every single thing on my PC and slowing it all down while doing it.

With Battlefield 3 Origin had the potential to make a hell of alot of converts, if it was up to it it could have made hundreds of customers easily, instead they forced both Origin sign in and then Battlelog sign in. Which is frustrating and un-needed.

Now it seems that instead of making it a better service like it should be EA are just locking their games to it. Which is fine but seeing as those games are BF3 and ME3, I think ill survive in not having it on my PC for the forseeable future.

10. Da Man

iTunes a chore to use? I suppose I’m from a different planet then, because it ‘s one of the most intuitive and straightforward interfaces I’ve seen.

.. But then I don’t really launch that, a videogame and a text editor all at the same time.

Most of the troubles I’ve heard from people using it were down to some checkbox they missed, or a button they were too distracted to press properly.

11. DSB

I definitely agree on iTunes, that’s pretty much the worst software I could imagine to buy music and load it onto a player. It’s a big, bulky, resource-hogging mess.

Usually I go with unofficial programs. Less risk of deleting all my music on sync, less hassle, and don’t even get me started on iTunes encoding. Ripping cd’s in iTunes is a 50/50 shot.

12. Da Man

That’s because it’s a basic program, and not intended as a bit-perfect ripping software.

I ran it even on Mac Mini, and it was fast.

13. DSB

@12 I don’t see that as an excuse for anything, and I think it’s more than obvious that they don’t mind inconveniencing you just to ensure a little bit of extra control.

If it was meant as a basic program, that just makes it even more of a fuck-up. It uses far more resources on the PC than it ever should, and homebrewers are making programs that have better functionality, better efficiency, and more features.

14. Da Man

I was referring to the ripping part, you’re the first person I heard telling me about the errors due to iTunes. Might want to get some stats for that.

I never used the PC version.

15. DSB

I haven’t had any errors ripping or converting with any other kind of software.

16. Da Man

It’s a limited application, whose purpose is to perform basic tasks, which is easy to use, fast, and does the job just fine for most people. Your issues might be with your disc drive, or scratched CDs.. Saying that other apps don’t give you the same is like stating that I didn’t get the flu and the other guy did, therefore his immune system is inferior, you know. Besides ripping CDs is such a secondary task I have no idea why you still need it, unless you’re some pro music engineer.

I have no idea why it’s so slow to you. I know a guy who listens to music all the time, for some reason it works lighting fast on his Mac. Using that OS as an example of bad performance isn’t exactly convincing, you know. Perhaps you should reconfigure your Zonealarm or something.

As a full fledged ripping software or music playlist organizer it’s lame, as a basic app for general customer it’s ideal.

17. DSB

@16 I don’t know anyone who would agree with that. People usually tend to remember the times when iTunes syncs their entire music catalogue into oblivion, which apparently happens a lot.

I don’t know anyone with an iPhone, iPad or iPod who it hasn’t happened to, and who don’t hold a certain grudge afterwards.

It might work fast on a Mac, but plenty of people use iPods and iPhones without needing an Apple computer. On the PC it’s just a waste of space. It’s a dinosaur.

I have a music collection of over 1000 cd’s, I rip shit from time to time. Sometimes I’m in the mood for something I collected 5 years ago, sometimes I’m in the mood for something I collected 3 years ago.

I’m not about to download it from rapidshare, when it’s 5 feet away from my desk.

Wow, Zonealarm, there’s a joke from 10 years ago. If only the problems with iTunes were that easy to get around. A quick look at the process manager says it ain’t.

And when I can download an app that does twice as much in half the time, using maybe 25% of the resources, that’s obviously going to be my choice. Most people would consider an importer that can’t encode properly a pretty big lapse. What’s the point of using it if it can’t process audio?

I can put shit on most mobile devices just using Windows Explorer, I don’t need another interface for that.

I think you’re possibly the only person in the world to associate the word ideal with iTunes. That’s great man, you can keep it.

Signed everybody else.

18. Da Man

Those ‘people’ tend to overlook stuff like checkboxes ‘Sync everything’, read the manual. I ‘ve read one guy who said that he got some fingers disease from using Apple’s wireless kb.. because he got used to hammering on his old one.

I’m not the only person because I’ve asked irl guys :) I don’t mean this as offending but you, on the other hand are an internet avatar.

Okay, so you’re that into music. That’s understandable then, this app isn’t for you. Which brings me to my last point, it’s basic software for general customers.

Funny to see someone ripping CDs calling iTunes a dinosaur. But I digress.

You don’t need to use Rapidshare, or any illegal downloads for that matter.

I will keep it, I load one or two sounds into my iPod once in a while.

19. DSB

Blaming the user is such an epic excuse for programmers and designers. Somehow that always manages to explain everything ;)

“It’s not my app that’s bad, it’s the user” – Problem with that is that your job is catering to the user, not to yourself. If you want to be the only person using your program, knock yourself out. If that’s not the case, it’s best to start caring about the service you offer. Or indeed fail to.

“It’s not me boss, it’s the people using our product” – Yeah…

Claiming that iTunes has a bunch of redundant features that apparently were never meant to work properly, and that it’s really only supposed to provide you with a totally redundant, sluggish interface, so you don’t have to use Windows Explorer, really only serves to underline just how shit it is.

Although I think those features were very much meant to work. They’re based on Apples own media formats, after all. The idea that they aren’t is just a piss poor excuse for piss poor software. Much like blaming the user.

20. Da Man

I didn’t say blame the user, there’re people who got used to unnecessary complicating ways of performing tasks. E.g. hammering at keys because they ‘re used to shitty keyboards. Just an example to get the point across. Do you expect kb manufacturer to say ‘It’s our keyboard which isn’t adequate for everyone’ as well.

Obviously it’s not redundant if you claim you use it that often, I said it’s secondary.

Not replacing Finder (Explorer), it’s an app where you buy, and load content onto you player. With some basic support for ripping.

21. DSB

@20 I’m not really bothered by what the intent is. As long as it isn’t doing the job, it fucking sucks :P

22. TheWulf

I’m… mildly amused at this. You defeated your own argument within the same post. How did you manage to do that?

So, iTunes is the most intuitive program ever, and IF people disagree, it’s because they missed an obfuscated option.

Intuitive and obfuscation are usually mutually exclusive terms.

I’m sorry, that’s… just kind of funny.

Not picking on you or anything, it’s just that you really did defeat your own argument within the same post. If the UI wasn’t obfuscated then people would find these options easily and in an intuitive way. THUS, clearly, the interface is not intuitive.

It may be a good interface, but you defeated yourself by admitting that it was not intuitive after claiming that it was. No amount of blaming the user is going to help if you’ve already admitted that the UI isn’t intuitive yourself.

23. Da Man

No, it’s because it’s too straightforward and intuitive for them. I even gave an example with the quality keyboard.

Believe it or not, some are used to unnnecessary complexity (and poor hardware).

If there’s a message box saying something, one should do that.

24. DSB

OHMYGOD.

That is all.

25. Da Man

I hear ya. There’s obv a bug in iTunes, where it randomly sends all your content into oblivion.

26. absolutezero

Yeah so iTunes being shit is’nt something new, or even something I thought could be argued against.

Lets see what google says. “itunes is shit”

About 7,090,000 results (0.24 seconds)

Well it must be them that never checked something and not at all a horrible piece of software. Oh no.

27. Da Man

It isn’t slow, it ‘s basic and it’s easy to use.

Yeah, let’s base it on google results.

Random internet person says:
    I’ve spoken to both a recording engineer and a mastering engineer who routinely rip their test pressings & commercially mastered CDs with iTunes, then do a “null test” against the original files to check for bit-perfect accuracy. They tell me that the iTunes rips are accurate. On the rare occasions when an iTunes rip of a test pressing is not a bit-perfect clone of the original, the test pressing is rejected; the final commercial releases always rip accurately with iTunes.

28. DSB

Cool. Story. Bro.

A search on iTunes slow or iTunes sluggish returns 168.000.000 results (0.16 seconds)

That’s one hundred, and sixty eight, million. To one, apparently.

29. Da Man

Are you serious, or just dense? I’m thinking the latter.

Yeah, let’s all link to opinion pieces and comments from all over the internet now.

30. Da Man

Oh and tell me about it. Majority.

When I start recalling your comment history on this website, I distinctly remember some debate about dedicated servers, and how you were the single person ever seen who thought matchmaking was superior. Surely you can spell ‘hypocrite’?

31. DSB

Well, fair enough, I’ll let you change the subject for a tick.

For one thing, MW2 sold more than any other Call of Duty on PC, and consequently always had more people playing than any previous iteration – and it didn’t take long to win the majority back from Black Ops either, which of course had a less convenient system (the server browser). It still has twice the usercount, by the way.

Currently MW3 (matchmaker game) is peaking at 78,000 concurrent users. That’s close to twice as many as Black Ops ever managed.

It’s safe to say that the matchmaker isn’t a problem for anyone.

This is of course talking about a new technology on the PC, as opposed to iTunes, which as we have discussed basically only does things that are already done far better, by far simpler applications. Like the server browser, iTunes is a dinosaur, not an innovation by any standard.

You can misdirect or go after me all you want because your ridiculous claims aren’t being backed up by, well.. Anyone, but I don’t have problems finding people who prefer matchmaking. I do have very serious problems finding people who love iTunes.

You’re pretty much the first one I’ve come across.

32. Da Man

….
    You do realize how asinine that sounds?

Halo Reach has the worst host selection in any Halo game, worst and least balanced ranking system, and the worst maps election of all the Bungie games to date. Yet it ‘s at the top, while H3 barely makes it to the top 20. Apparently, nobody has trouble with it.

People tend to play the ‘default’ entry. The sales thing is even more silly, because sequels sell on previous iterations’ success.

I wasn’t misdirecting. It was an example, where you clearly ‘re in the minority, if not one of the very few. I ‘m still puzzled, as to why you prefer the cheap, crappy system which brings nothing except lag for competitive matches and trouble playing with the same people consistently.

Yes, because you can’t find people on the internet who have no trouble using iTunes. What ridiculous claims? That it’s easy to buy content and load to your player with it, as opposed to being a manager of craploads of playlists? And that it isn’t slow? Or perhaps that your CD ripping isn’t down to iTunes coded poorly? Check again what I was saying.

You know what I find a ridiculous claim? Some random guy who reads internet articles, ‘educates’ himself and uses ‘majority’ as something which proves his point. Let’s just hope you’ll never get interested in some debates about medical topics.

33. Da Man

Random guy, this is just for you:

34. DSB

Show me that minority and I might be inclined to agree with you. Sounds like you’re in the minority in every instance you’ve just raised, by virtue of any remotely tangible data.

I showed you the numbers, but then lo and behold, the numbers were wrong. I’m sure that would be the case with every other tangible piece of evidence I could produce.

You’re the only person who seems to love this program. That’s your right, but it doesn’t make it less “slow and clunky” (to quote the above link) or more of a nuissance to the majority of people.

Ultimately I agree with absolutezero, and every other Apple product owner I’ve met says the same thing. You don’t have to care about that, but it’s still pretty damn obvious to me, and apparently them.

35. Da Man

I’m saying, that those people of you, don’t mind. You” ll be surprised how little general customer minds, more so in omp shooters.

I don’t love it, and I sure don’t think everything Apple makes is golden Their Xcode, for instance is poor. But this thing.. it does the job it s’s supposed to.

Clunky and slow on Windows it might be.

I gotta go now, buddy. Too late around here.

36. fearmonkey

Mass effect 3 DRM article becomes the battle of why itunes does/doesnt suck. Kind of funny :)
    I have to say though, I have never had an issue with Itunes, its a bit slow to me, even on a fast computer. The interface could be improved for better searching and displaying of those crazy amounts of applications/games, but overall I have never had an issue with it.
    I have an Iphone, Ipods and Ipad, never had an issue.

37. Da Man

See that, #36 disagrees.

So anyway you took the time to edit that post after i left.

If there’s one thing you convinced me, #34, then it’s that you don’t have an opinion on the matter. Apparently 10 opinion pieces make 1 wrong.

What’s somewhat obv though, is that the number of complaints about the app being slow is way higher on Windows.

How do the people who don’t mind the difference represent the majority? They don’t mind your matchmaking, there was that thread in here which you can google, where you were the only one, before H3 came out, there were talks about dedicated servers on B.net, with anyone remotely knowledgable of what they’re supporting the idea. Out of the people who mind the difference, I’ve never seen anyone supporting matchmaking.. pretty sure if we did a poll you’d be the single one.