Dynasty Warriors boss: Copying the west hasn’t worked for Japan

Friday, 17th February 2012 02:53 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Dynasty Warriors production lead Kenichi Ogasawara has said Japanese developers need to stop looking to the west for the secrets to success.

“We’ve looked at the way Western developers make and present their games, in terms of the cut scenes, the graphics and all of that, and we’ve tried to take that approach in development. Unfortunately, we weren’t able to get the result that we wanted,” Ogasawara told Gamasutra.

“I think as a Japanese developer, we have to think about how we can actually improve the original game system, rather than copy what other people are doing.”

Ogasawara suggested Japanese developers have a “huge treasure” to draw on instead – a unique culture.

“There are a lot of elements of our culture that we still haven’t shown to the world; a lot of things are still kept at home. These are things that we can actually show in a proper way, that the global market can understand,” he said.

“We’re looking for ways to portray our culture in an easy-to-understand way, in a captivating way. Obviously in the action market there are influences from the Hollywood industry in the presentation, and it’s very hard for us to compete with that. For us, I think the best way to stand out in the competitive market is to use our culture to our advantage.”

Omega Force’s latest release is Dynasty Warriors Next, a Vita launch title, with crossover Warriors Orochi 3 due in March.

Thanks, GoNintendo.

1. AJacks92

Yeah, because Koei’s business model of selling the same game is a good model to follow. Just because you still make adequate sales doesn’t mean you shouldn’t follow others who clearly obtain more sales from improving their IPs

2. OlderGamer

I thought being too eastern was the problem in the first place. The market shares that they are after are western. Very limiting to not at least consider what that market likes/wants before cranking out your games.

And of all people KOEI really doesn’t have much to stand on. Their flagship franchise lacks anything remotly close to ingenueity. The treassure of culture isn’t gonna cut it anymore. The west doesn’t want JP artistic stylings. From char art, to stories, to over dramatic flare of voice overs. That is what started driving western sales away in the first place.

I am sorry, i know some folks love JP games, but the industry, the west now has a choice. And it seems, in terms of voting with their purchases, the market is making its statement.

But I am sure yet another Dynasty game will change all of that.

3. Christopher Jack

I think the biggest problem for these games is that they’re too busy trying to pinpoint the most profitable market rather than simply trying to make a good game. This is something a suit will never understand & its why creative & artistic people are regarded so highly in the entertainment industry. Its also why I hope THQ survives its restructure, they’ve finally worked out that the lowest common denominator won’t work any more & they’ve gone through enormous efforts at getting some of the most renown people in the industry under their wings & hopefully it pays off.

4. Suikoden Fan

@1 have you actually bloody played any of the series at all? instead of doing the ‘cool’ thing and just slate it for being samey. Fifa, madden are the biggest offenders for staying the same each year with only a big change every so often, the DW/SW games change WITH EVERY GAME.

5. Da Man

#2 Are you serious, ‘treasure of culture’ in Dynasty Warriors? That game is basically Transformers set in Alternative Ancient China..

And the vo’s aren’t ‘over dramatic’, there’re just some JP games with poor voiceovers and terrible scripts.. just like Gears of War.

6. OlderGamer

I was trying to be sarcastic DaMan. Lest about the treassure of culture stuff. As for the VO, your right lots of games can have poor VO. But the trouble with JP games is that the very culture he KOEI guy praises is a real turn off to a lot of western gamers.

I know, again, there are cliche’s about western games too. But if your selling games in the west, it is easier to pass over a muscular bound, gun tote’n, crew cut sport’n, cigar suck’n goon. Then it is to pass over gender bending, youthful looking, flowing robe wearing, long hair metel white locks, chars that say “Uh hagh!!” at every little event(someone walking into the room doesn’t cause everyone else in the room to audibly gasp for air each and every time).

If there is too much of game devs culture into a game, I think the harder it is to sell that game in other cultures. Hard to see Mario turning off gamers due to its graphical style, chars interactions. There is very little eastern/western culture in there. It has been like that in the 8bit days, and is still like that today. Yet if you look at jRPGs, I used to own and play every Dragon Warrior(dragon quest) game made. Back on the NES. I loved em. But once the series hit PSone, I had a hard time getting into them. Today I can’t/won’t play em.

Mostly it has to do with the level of tech that allows the JP artists to really put a lot of those same culture/media/industry cliche’s I just mentioned. In laymens terms the graphics and char manerisms/looks/actions really turn me off from the game. Same is true with FF, and many other JP games.

Some of it also has to do with game design. I would rather sit down and play a Amalur game then a FF one. And looking at Fallout, Skyrim, Oblivion sales vs FF(or even jRPGs in general) this gen, I think a lot of people share a similar pov as I do.

And that is at the crux behind the eastern devs rethink when it comes to game design. The western(NA) market is much larger then the home JP market. It makes sense they want to keep slaes shares here. But they have been losing market share steadily for years. I blame an unwillingness to change their game design. I blame culture infused chars design. And I blame handhelds(JP loves em, in NA we love iOS/Andriod), so in JP a staggering amount of games get made for handhelds, pulling dev rescources away from console games. I figure this prolly as much as anything hurt the PS3 this gen, a lack of strong steady JP games. It is also worth note’n that western devs have beefed up and now the JP devs face stiff competetion. There was little or not competetion in the 8/16bit days, and really till MS got involved, the JP had the market all but locked down.

Anyways, I am being long winded as I seem to do so well lol.

“And the vo’s aren’t ‘over dramatic’, there’re just some JP games with poor voiceovers and terrible scripts.. just like Gears of War”

And just like alot of JP games struggle here, I bet gears doesn’t sell in JP either. Here, however, it sells very well.

7. Da Man