Jagged Alliance Online goes into open beta

Thursday, 16th February 2012 14:41 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Jagged Alliance Online is leaving closed beta testing today, and gamigo, the game’s publisher has invited all players to to experience the PvE missions and PvP matches in the open testing phase.

The open beta brings with it a number of new features to the game:

• Defeated opponents now drop loot that can be collected by the mercenaries during the mission.
  • When a player aims at an explosive barrel or crate, the explosion radius will be shown, making it easier to judge to results of one’s actions.
  • Aiming at an opponent will now show which direction he is most vulnerable from.

A walk-through video for Jagged Alliance Online introducing the game’s most important features can be viewed below.

1. YoungZer0

Definitely looks better than “Back in Action”, but that’s not saying much, as it is pretty much a disaster.

The previous version of JA3, before it was cancelled used the same engine as Silent Storm, which really is just JA in 3D.

Here’s some footage of what could’ve been:

2. DSB

Sigh… Silent Storm <3

That's what JA always should've been.

3. YoungZer0

@2: Seriously i don’t understand why they couldn’t have just picked up the project and complete it. Optimize the engine a bit, give a real time mode for people who want it and call it a day.

I mean even now Silent Storm 1 looks better than Back in Action.

4. DSB

@3 Yup, a lot better. Back in Action looks like something from the days of JA2.

I guess the likely reason is that no one really cares about turnbased strategy, and some licenses just get kicked around Russia. It’s probably near impossible to fund.

I don’t get why Nival felt like they had to turn Silent Storm into an RPG either. They made an amazing game and just left it at that.

I think we best we’re gonna get is http://www.xenonauts.com

I bought http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-ALFA/alfa-antiterror out of desperation, and it’s close to being decent, but it’s not :P

5. YoungZer0

@4: Ugh, Alfa Anti-Terror, no thanks. :P I played Nivals Silent Storm Series, even Hammer & Sickle, which was pretty frustrating. I just hope they look at Jagged Alliance and say to themselves “What the fuck is going on? We can do that better.” And just start working on a new Silent Storm. Without the “Panzerklein”.

There is so much “Back in Action” just didn’t get right. The story, the cutscenes with Deidranna, the personalties of the mercs (I love you, Reaper), the low-rpg gameplay like talking to people, convincing them, bribe them, etc.

All gone. Not even a scene where you get off a chopper.

6. DSB

Yeah. Definitely the worst thing between gaming today and gaming 10-20 years ago is the notion that gamers don’t want to think anymore.

I don’t think that’s true. Tactical and turnbased games might not have had the universal appeal of third person shooters or real time strategy, but I like to think that they had a far more dedicated audience, and essentially still would.

If someone made a serious tactical or turnbased game, I would be all over that shit. I’d buy two copies.

The best I’ve seen in recent years is Combat Mission: SF (particularly the expansions). It’s extremely hardcore, and it doesn’t have production values, but it feels like a game that’s purely for nerds :P

7. YoungZer0

Ever tried the Men of War Series?

8. DSB

Yup, I played Soldiers: HoWW2 and Silent Heroes too. It’s built on that engine.

I like the idea, but the game feels pretty unbalanced. There’s way too much micro-management for a game with that sort of pace.

I only got to the mission where you have to hold the naval gun. I keep getting slaughtered and have to rely on lucky hits on the tanks.

Lovely voice acting though ;)

9. YoungZer0

“There’s way too much micro-management for a game with that sort of pace.”

Yeah, i had a problem with that too.

I wonder if bitComposer is going to publish Jagged Alliance 3 next, hopefully with a different developer this time.