Bioware writer Drew Karpyshyn to retire from games industry

Thursday, 16th February 2012 19:02 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Bioware writer Drew Karpyshyn has announced he is leaving the firm and the game industry as a whole.

According to a post on his personal blog and picked up by RipTen, Karpyshyn will leave the firm to work on his fantasy novel Children of Fire and the next Star Wars: The Old Republic novel.

“During my time at BioWare I worked on a number of beloved and award winning titles,” he wrote on his blog. “I’m proud of everything we accomplished, and I know going forward that BioWare will continue to live up to its well deserved reputation for making the best story driven games in the industry.

“The story and dialog in any BioWare game is the result of an entire team of writers working together, and I often felt I received an excessive amount of the credit for the games we created.

“The Dragon Age games and the continued success of the Mass Effect series after my departure make it pretty clear that BioWare can get along just fine without me, and I’m looking forward to experiencing the games as a fan rather than from the other side of the fence.”

Karpyshyn inked many a Bioware title, including: Baldur’s Gate, Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire and the Mass Effect series.

We wish him the best of luck.

1. Froseidon

“During my time at BioWare I worked on a number of beloved and award winning titles,” he wrote on his bog. – Um, don’t you mean blog?

2. Stephany Nunneley

Nope. He actually wrote this from a bog located in southern Texas near the Louisiana border. How the writing “stuck” on the bog is a bit interesting, considering how wet they tend to be, but I am going to assume sorcery was involved.

3. DSB

I think it would vastly improve this website if Steph just told lies instead of apologizing. I like that a lot better.

4. Froseidon

@2 – Good to see the VG writer’s humour is still there :L
    @3 – As long as they’re funny, I shaln’t complain.

5. KrazyKraut

NOOO PLEASE NOOO!!! Mass Effect + KOTOR soaked me in!

6. The_Red

Wish him the very best. His work will be seriously missed. Balduer’s Gate 2, KOTOR and Mass Effect… Really talented writer.

7. Phoenixblight

He is too comfortable playing golf in Austin and now that is all he wants to do. Good for him. I hope to have the same luxury, do my decade or two of working in the game industry then go and do something else comfortably.

8. fearmonkey

@Stephany – that was just an awesome comeback lol…..
    After all his successes, I’m sure Bioware will greatly miss him.
    His game list has many of my favorite games of all time on it.

9. Sini

is he the chump that came up with dragon age 2 plot/narrative? then he is retiring too late.

10. Froseidon

True, he was one of the best writers I’ve seen. I mean, look at when he never wrote the fourth book for Mass Effect (Deception) and they had a new writer, it went to shit. They’re re-issuing it due to so many mistakes. If only he wrote it…

11. Phoenixblight

No Drew did all of the MAss Effect series , 3 books for the series, KOTOR, Balduars Gate and TOR.

David Gaider is the lead writer for the Dragon Age series.

12. Hunam

Great, so the one good writer left there has quit.

13. YoungZer0

From what i’ve seen in Mass Effect 3 so far leads me to believe it is for the better. Looks like the series has lost a lot of what made Mass Effect 1 so good.

14. DSB

@13 That’s kinda my thoughts too.

Maybe the way games are made today just don’t lend themselves very well to writing. Especially the way Bioware does it.

“We have a bazillion lines of text”. It’s not “We have a great story”, it’s “We had people speak into a microphone a lot”. That has to be about as encouraging as writing the little stories on the back of milk cartons. Because that’s what you’re doing – Supporting the assembly line.

I wouldn’t blame anyone for getting burnt out when it’s like that. Usually when you look at TV shows or movies you have a pool of writers working freelance, and while some screenplays are made to order, some make the difference between a movie being made or scrapped.

The same certainly doesn’t go for games, and if you only have 2 years to “throw something together”, why wouldn’t that turn to shit?

The only people I have complete faith in are Wolpaw and Faliszek. Maybe it’s because they actually get the time and space to sit down and write before the assembly line starts?

15. Talkar

Drew made some really awesome Star Wars books. Here i’m thinking especially of the Darth Bane trilogy and the Revan book. Damn the were great! It is truly a loss for Bioware, and the gaming community to see him go, but i wish him all the best in the future.