Axed multiplayer mode, DLC for Enslaved, says Ninja Theory

Thursday, 16th February 2012 12:01 GMT By Johnny Cullen

A multiplayer online game featuring Monkey’s cloud skateboard thingy and DLC were in the making for Enslaved: Journey to the West, Ninja Theory’s Tameem Antoniades has said, but were canned following the game’s poor retail reception.

Speaking with Edge (via CVG), he said, in terms of the game’s legacy, the studio won’t let up in making believable characters rather than “cardboard cutouts”.

“We wanted to create affecting characters that felt more like real people than cardboard cutouts. If the game had been more successful, perhaps other games would follow suit and deem it a worthwhile pursuit.,” said Antoniades.

“But perhaps instead it will be held as an example of why it doesn’t matter. Either way, it won’t stop us from trying. I truly believe characters and story can elevate the gameplay and affect people in deep and satisfying ways.”

Ninja Theory launched Enslaved: Journey to the West in October 2010 for PS3 and 360 to critical and raving success, but didn’t deliver the results at retail, with plans for a sequel nipped as a result.

The studio’s currently planning to release a Devil May Cry reboot for PS3 and 360 this year.

1. DirtEHarry

It’s a shame the game didn’t sell well.

2. Malmer

For me it actually fell short in the story department.

3. LOLshock94

This game is a good example of having a good story then having shit gameplay

4. Dark

@3 Nope .. games like asura’s wrath is a good example for that
    but enslaved is great example of having
    crappy gameplay
    good story
    ugly characters designs

5. LOLshock94

@4 yeah i meant shit gameplay haha, and yeah the gameplay is probely the most repetitive hack slash ive ever played

6. KrazyKraut

And the performance on the PS3 was bad…

7. Cee

Shame really. Because it was a good game
    Pigsy’s Perfect Ten DLC was the mutt’s nuts. I personally thought PPT was better than the main game…really enjoyed it

8. YoungZer0

@4: Ugly character design? Are you confused?

9. Clupula

Personally, I thought with the gameplay sucking as badly as it did, it’s good to see the game flopped. Yes, it has a big emphasis on character and story, but those are supposed to be second in a game. Personally, I like it when a game has both great gameplay and a great story.

Asura’s Wrath…that doesn’t even have gameplay…

10. varsas

Did it not sell well in the end?

I thought the gameplay was solid though repetitive and the story interesting; not a bad template imho.

11. triggerhappy

The main male character’s design was terrible. He’s practically a triangle.

@8: What? You like your men to be overly muscular then? Are you confused? :P

12. ManuOtaku

I dont understand really the hate torwards this game, for me has a great told story, a very solid gameplay, in the beginning i find it really hard, i play it on hard the first time, i tend to play all my games on that setting, but for me is like any other game in this kind of genre, in the gameplay department of course, and the character desing was great, altogether with the graphics, not only great graphics but great artistic graphics direction too, the game for me was a solid new IP, that did a tons of good things, of course it has its shortcomings too like any other game has, but i got the feeling it will be resolved in a second game, for me this game might end up sharing the same fate as uncharted, i mean solid first game, and a superb second game.

13. Gadzooks!

Enslaved was a nice piece of visual entertainment, but a truly dreadful game to play.

I think the problem was that Ninja Theory had settled into a Sony developer mindset where the only thing that matters is cutscenes. PS3 owners lap up that shit, but as a multiplatform title the gameplay simply was up to required standards.

I can’t see any way this will ever get a sequel. Their output this gen has been shockingly bad (Heavenlol sword) and unless DMC breaks their shitstreak I reckon they wont be making retail games anymore.

I predict an announcement of an NT casual games re-focus as soon as DMC tanks.

14. varsas

“PS3 owners lap up that shit”

Just as 360 owners lap up brown and grey linear shooters.

15. Cee

“Sony developer mindset where the only thing that matters is cutscenes. PS3 owners lap up that shit.”

Don’t tar us all with the same brush, for fucks sake.

16. YoungZer0

@9: “but those are supposed to be second in a game.”

That is your opinion. We’re past that.

“it’s good to see the game flopped.”

And that comment makes you look like a complete asshole. Congrats.

@11: What does this have to do with anything? He could have less muscles, don’t care, he still looked fantastic, especially compared to the thousands space marines we get every year. He was unique, as was the game.

17. Cee

Anyway what the fuck’s wrong with triangular

Never did pyramid head any harm… that’s just triangularism

Yeah…that’s fuckin’right

I’ve just played the triangle card

18. Da Man

#9 is right on. Every time I hear people saying ‘you can’t do in a movie or a book something you can in a videogame’, they never explain what exactly.

Funny.

Because there’s nothing. It’s the lackluster imagination of those people themselves, and their inablity to grasp something beyond a sequence of images they’re being fed with.

Interaction brings nothing worthwile.

19. Froseidon

Nice to see this petty fanboy Xbox v PS3 shit died out long ago >.>
    I own an Xbox, I have friends who have both, but more on Xbox. Although I was one of the first of my friends to have an Xbox, probably due to me having the original one.

Xbox is based more around the gaming side of things (I.e – money spent to memberships goes improving the Xbox Live).
    PS3 seems to be based on the multimedia entertainment. Like films and T.V.

You go with what you enjoy the most. End.

As for the game, I was sad it fell short. I picked it up when I bored and it was pre-owned. It was cheap, definitely worth the price. I thought it was good for £8. I would have gladly paid up to £20 for it. I s’pose it wasn’t all there for a full priced game. But it was enjoyable.

20. Da Man

Oh, wanted to add that actually using Enslaved as an example of storytelling defies the whole purpose of going with a videogame instead of a movie. Because it uses scripted sequences and cinematics, something you could easily do in a movie.. It makes the whole story in videogames argument invalid to begin with. What’s the point of playing a movie that leads you by the hand? I can watch it or I can watch it and press buttons occasionally.

21. ManuOtaku

@20 ” Because it uses scripted sequences and cinematics, something you could easily do in a movie..” “What’s the point of playing a movie that leads you by the hand?”

I agree, i do also prefer gameplay over story, although i think both are important in a game, especially if the story can convey emotions in the audience, but gameplay in a game is where the main focus should be, and i did like a lot enslave especially in the gameplay department, of course it have issues, but a lot of games have them, and they are GOTYS nominees nontheless.

But the thing i dont get, and this is not directed at you per se, although i did quoted directly from your comment, but they are part of the point i will try to make, is that what its been critize in this game, i mean that it feels like a movie that leads your hand, and that the gameplay is not so good or kind of bad, is that this is done in a lot of games today that are GOTY nomines, and that are well established franchises and very supported and loved by gamers, so i dont understand why this game is being criticize by this , while the others are getting the greatest of the acolades among gamers and the media, thats something i dont understand.

One last thing, for me this game it is very different that said heavy rain, heavy rain didnt had that many tradional gameplay features, while Enslave did have, maybe they are not as good as in other games, which can be debated, and this form part of ones preferences, but they are there, while in heavy rain they arent, at least indigo prophecy intwertined those two better than heavy rain did, but is a matter of prefference, i suppose.

22. FeaturePreacher

I wonder what things we’ll see that were left on the cutting room floor when dmc fails.

23. fearmonkey

It’s a shame the title didnt sell well. A friend of mine bought it, and I enjoyed watching him play it. Had a good story and I thought the gameplay looked fun.