No gamepad support for Mass Effect 3 PC, says BioWare

Wednesday, 15th February 2012 11:40 GMT By Johnny Cullen

BioWare has said it won’t support gamepads for the PC version of Mass Effect 3.

Community manager Chris Priestly confirmed the news on the company’s forums, meaning controllers such as a plugged-in Xbox 360 PC controller will not do the trick. It’s all keyboard and mouse, gringo.

“The PC version does not support controllers,” said Priestly. “They may or may not work, but they are unsupported by the game.”

This isn’t the biggest shocker in the world, mind: there was also no such support for Mass Effect 1 and 2, as well as Dragon Age: Origins, DAII and Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Mass Effect 3 launches on March 6 in the US and March 9 in the UK for PS3, 360 and PC.

Thanks, Eurogamer.

1. Talkar

I laughed when you mentioned SWTOR as being a game not supporting gamepad xD I would actually like to see someone bind 22-24 hotkeys, plus misc options to one gamepad xD

2. Nostanogod

Actually, there’s no problem in binding multple keys to standard gamepad (~12 buttons). All you need is right software (i.e. PGP or Xpadder), which allows complete customization of gamepad buttons.

3. freedoms_stain

I don’t understand why Bioware do this.

Give players the choice you lazy shits.

4. rudini

Seriously….

The code is already there in the xbox version, no?

copy+paste+1 week of testing….come on!

-rudy

5. John117

Played the xbox demo yesterday and I gotta say it was kinda fun shouting commands like “shotgun” or “activate” in order to change weapons or interact with stuff :P I didnt quite get the squad and power commands though :/

Thus one reason I rather have this game for my console than PC :P

6. Hunam

It’s been like this for the entire series, hence why planet scanning on PC was a massive pain (literally).

But anyway, every action appears to be bound to space bar this time so it shouldn’t be so bad right?

7. TheWulf

Yes, I agree. It is a bit ridiculous. As a PC gamer I’m very pro pad, I tend to use one with a bunch of games. I’ve a 360 pad I use, and a Logitech one that I’m really, really fond of.

Just seems silly.

I mean, really, try playing Sonic Generations with a keyboard and mouse. And I hope that they’re not trying to appeal to keyboard & mouse fetishists because, really? They’re just young spods, and they’ll grow out of that.

Most PC gamers started off with with things called ‘joysticks’ and ‘joypads.’ It was common practise to plug a Sega Megadrive pad into an Amiga to play Street Fighter II. Hell, I love the Megadrive/Saturn pads. In fact, I still have a Saturn pad which I plug into my PC/PS3 for fighting games. You just won’t get better than a Saturn pad without the controller being a joystick.

8. chipvideo

This just saves me more money. Less money to Bioware. I have the PS360 CE pre-orderd. I would have pre-orderd the pc version as well. I have to play with a gamepad. Don’t understand Bioware. They need to just suck up and deal with the times. Oh well. No biggie. Its their lost money.