Moore: “Give us 18 months to two years” to perfect Origin

Wednesday, 15th February 2012 21:34 GMT By Brenna Hillier

EA COO Peter Moore has said criticism of Origin is already dying off, but the service needs time to grow and evolve, just as Steam did.

“It’s one of those things where I would ask give us 18 months to two years. And if we sit here two years from now, start looking at it then,” Moore told Kotaku.

“We need to continue to add social layers so there is value to the consumer so it doesn’t feel like, in their words, ‘something that is mandatory that I don’t want.’ And it got off to a rocky start for all the wrong reasons which were mostly inaccurate: accusations of spyware. The EULA… We were clearly focused on by some folks who said, ‘We don’t like this. How can we start picking things apart?’”

That intense, negative scrutiny has died off.

“It’s quieted down. I don’t think you see the initial level of vitriol”, the executive said.

Moore pointed out – quite accurately – that Steam suffered similar birthing pains.

“If you go back and dust off the transcripts of when Steam first came out, it had the same reaction. People didn’t like it,” he said.

“They provided, over the years – to Gabe and the team’s credit – value to the gamer. Those first 12 months were very rocky.”

“I think it’s healthy for the industry to have more opportunities to go, if you will, to shop around, to find different things that you like, different content. The more stores there are for me in the mall, the more entertaining it is. I like the gamut. I like choice,” he explained.

“We felt the PC business was having a little bit of a renaissance and we felt great opportunity with both Star Wars and Battlefield. Mass Effect to come. That this was the time to build out a true platform.

“It’s an open platform. There is nothing I would love more than to have Valve’s, everybody’s games. We’re talking to every publisher, as you can imagine.”

1. DSB

I haven’t played SWTOR, but judging on peoples response, there seems to be a strange parallel to what they’re saying here.

Really the fact that Steam suffered similar problems is just an argument for why you should’ve done better.

I’m sure they’re gonna win more marketshare eventually. Right now it’s just a piss poor client though.

2. Sini

who gives a shit, you get free bf3 with me3. Continue with promotions like that and I’ll deal with origins growing pains.

3. IL DUCE

@2 agreed, good point

4. someguy2

So they want me to give them money NOW for a service that’ll get to the quality that I expect in two years time? Sorry EA, but I’m going to continue boycotting Origin.

5. freedoms_stain

They’re not really in the same position as Steam was when it started out. Steam was a 1st, Origin could have learned from the strengths and weaknesses of the plethora of DD clients that came before it and still managed to turn out something substandard.

6. GwynbleiddiuM

So mister Moore, you yourself are in an agreement with us that Origin at it’s current state is a piece of orange crap, don’t you sir?

Being a member of Steam since Half-Life 2 I think your statement is quit a shite. And of course Valve’s more than welcome to come over to Origin but WE wont release our hit titles like BF3, ME3 and other sort of craps that we want on Steam, eh?

The fact is publishers like you abandoned PC market for a long time and when Steam came and provided a profitable platform for all of you greedy bastards to sell your shits on it you suddenly realized this might just work, eliminating the middle man and bag every dime for ourselves.

It just might have worked if you didn’t show your colors this soon.

I’m Sorry, I truly love BF3 and ME3 but I wont play them until I see them on Steam. Meanwhile you may go to hell for all I care. You best take your Origin with you as well. BF3 and ME3 on Steam, NOW!

7. OlderGamer

Gwyn +1

Good post. P.Moore can piss off.

8. silkvg247

@2 It’s not free though, £40 on Origin for games that are £20 or less if you know where to shop online and/or wait a few weeks post launch.

I will never pay that for a digital game, I never have.

Right now the game is £35 but no “free” BF3. Not that I care, I own BF3, how’s that deal any good to me? I’ll order a retail copy for £10 less instead – once it drops after launch which it inevitably will.

Interestingly EA games are the only games I’ve seen (since origin) that sell for pretty much the same RRP on my usual online game retailers as they are on Origin.

So should I “thank” them for blatant price fixing as well?

They can stick Origin up their ass, they didn’t make it for us, they made it to makey money.

9. endgame

Well said GwynbleiddiuM! :)

10. sebbie16

“Origin wasn’t launched with the intent of taking down Steam, Moore reiterated – it offers an alternative.”

If it was an “alternative”, then they would still release their games on steam.