Far Cry 3 cinematic trailer confirms September 6 release

Wednesday, 15th February 2012 11:49 GMT By Johnny Cullen

AGB’s gone live with a German version of the near-three minute cinematic trailer for Far Cry 3, originally promised for an official launch tomorrow, with the end of the video confirming a September 6 launch.

The video shows the main character, his missus and a fellow friend on holiday on an island not on the map, before the trio are held hostage by the game’s antagonist, aka Insanity Man, who shouts at one point, “shoot me, motherfucker”.

What follows afterwards are cinematics which seem to be taken from the game itself.

Get the video below. It’ll launch on PS3, 360 and PC.

New details on the game came out yesterday via the latest issue of Edge.

1. Patrick Garratt

AWESOME. Fucking boomtime. Booming all over the place here.

2. LOLshock94

YES, caaannnnnntttttttttttt waaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttt

3. Optimaximal

Surely you mean the games ‘antagonist’?

4. Johnny Cullen

I did. Got mixed up.

Also, Insanity Man – as I’m now calling him – looks set to be one of the best villains of all time. Or at least, the funniest.

5. Maximum Payne

@4 Yea he really have charisma like T-Bag from Prison Break :)
    I hate CGI trailer so much because I always want to see gameplay :(

6. Moonwalker1982

Oh boy, september is a long time away. But plenty of other things in the meantime. Great news though, kinda sad the trailer is all cinematic though :(

7. Debabrata Nath

Kind of dig the trailer. Can not wait to see more of this game.

8. Moonwalker1982

The trailer is very well done though, man that Vaas is a crazy dude, i love it.

9. absolutezero

Dude bro that guy has some sweet hair. I guess im meant to I dunno relate to the main character in this and help him get his revenge for being a massive fucking idiot? Really picking up an automatic weapon on an island “Not on the Map” then proceeding to get wasted? Yeah well done brah.

Here comes the drop

WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

So this is Far Cry now is it? Come back Clint, coooooooome baaaaaaackkkkk

10. TheBlackHole

It’s a nice trailer, but I’m tired of videos that don’t reflect the quality of the game. These days most trailers aren’t even made by the same company, it’s all done by external ‘brand’ agencies.

Show me some in-engine gameplay or GTFO.

IMHO, of course.

11. absolutezero

There is in-game footage though. Theres a long-form in game demo-reel from last years E3.

This is a hype trailer.

12. LOLshock94

@9 WOW you sound like a killjoy xoxo

13. The_Red

They showed a live gameplay session last E3 as #11 said. It’s available everywhere and it’s AWESOME. Also, the definition of insanity.

14. absolutezero

Oh LOL you say the nicest things. <3

15. YoungZer0

Well this looks fucking awesome, September can’t come soon enough.

16. OrbitMonkey

Is that wrecked boat they find from the first FarCry? Will their be mutants?

@9, Well in defence of Nice Hair Dude, the gun he picked up looked like it was on display at some market stall and that bar looked like someplace any GAP year student would recognise.

17. Lahanas

I hate this marketing tactic with the CG trailers. They show an awesome gameplay demo at E3, and eight months later instead of showing us another gameplay segment, they release a CG trailer…

18. YoungZer0

And it’s gone. Too bad.

19. Moonwalker1982

@ 13

Yeah, but even some people on certain forums claim it’s not in-game at all, just….wow.

20. datass

Mirror: http://vd.reborn.ru/?a=watch&id=86350
    Mirro 2: http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2012/02/far-cry-3-cinematic-trailer-leaked.html

21. JackBall

22. JackBall

http://youtu.be/CuobZ8WZDxQ Watch It Here In HD

23. Edo

That was pretty cool except the dubstep part,I mean seriously to say that it has been overused in trailers lately would be a mild understatement.

24. JackBall

25. JackBall

26. CPC_RedDawn

I have high hopes for this game, as FC2 was very boring to say the least. I hope it goes back to its roots and reinvents the the original game. But only the first section of the first game, you know before the idiot aliens turned up and ruined the whole damn thing! lol

27. Johnny Cullen

Ubisoft’s just brought forward the official release. It’s going live (officially) at 5pm GMT tonight. So another 45 minutes.

28. JackBall

29. DSB

The gameplay they showed looked a lot like FC2.

Can’t say I’m thrilled.

@10 Gameplay video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nXjcMlX8oE

30. Stephany Nunneley

@18 It has been replaced with another version until the other trailer goes live.

31. majicship

How many times have we seen amazing trailers only for the game itself to be a dud? I’m thinking Dead Island here.

32. YoungZer0

@29:

“The gameplay they showed looked a lot like FC2.”

How so? No driving, no 500 bullets for one enemy, proper introduction of a character, who actually say something interesting, looting, green island.

Dunno, i see more Far Cry 1 than Far Cry 2.

33. DSB

@32 The gameplay still has you in a camp, still facing down 60 guys shooting at you, still unloading full clips into them.

That’s how it looks to me. I didn’t see any thinking neccesary.

I don’t see what that has to do with Far Cry personally. You needed a plan for how you were gonna get through a camp there, even if it was only 6 guys. If 3 of those survived a surprise attack, either one might take you out if you weren’t careful.

It’s too early to say anything for the exposition, but Far Cry 2 had plenty of random psychopaths. I think that made it a far lesser game. You had the choice of fighting for white South African psychopaths or black African psychopaths. If I had been faced with that choice, I would’ve gone home and left it alone. You’re no better than the guy you’re hunting in that game.

I didn’t really see much of a story in that clip though. You’ve gone from psychopaths in a savannah to psychopaths in a jungle. What’s the big whoop?

34. JackBall

Watch It Here IN HD : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShIrRJBwRiM

35. YoungZer0

@33: You’re exaggerating. I didn’t see 60 guys, i didn’t see the main character shooting full mags at one enemy. What i saw were quick ways to get rid of someone and actually a chance to use stealth.

Sure you seemed to be invincible, but that’s a demo, you usually don’t show demos where you die every second. As you said, it’s a still a little bit too early to judge.

“but Far Cry 2 had plenty of random psychopaths.”

Different kind of psychopaths, if you ask me.

“You had the choice of fighting for white South African psychopaths or black African psychopaths.”

You sure there was a difference, because don’t remember there was, at least not for me.

“I didn’t really see much of a story in that clip though. You’ve gone from psychopaths in a savannah to psychopaths in a jungle.”

Beats mad scientist any day.

36. ManuOtaku

Is it me or the guy from the pic look a lot like shazam the cartoon….

37. DSB

@35 I like the idea of jumping down on a guy and stabbing him, but I can’t tell from the video whether it’s a gimmick or a useful mechanic.

Of course I’m exagerating, there weren’t 60 guys in Far Cry 2 either. Maybe 20. That’s still basically an army. The feel of it is the same from what I can see. I’m just more impressed by games that can make 6 guys be a threat, like Far Cry, rather than simply relying on numbers and weight of fire.

I guess my suspicion is that it’s the same thing as Far Cry 2.

I’m not impressed with a mindless psychopath murdering people for no reason. It’s cheap and boring.

A splatter film is only shocking for the first 3 minutes, then you realize that all that’s gonna happen is people being dismembered left and right, and the whole impact is lost. It becomes an ironic cartoon.

They’re just being mean to be mean (again) and I don’t see the point. Any idiot can make an unstable guy with a mohawk, and any idiot can show innocent people getting slaughtered left and right.

The part where skill and brains comes into play, is in making that violence mean something. And it doesn’t seem to in this case.

Compare Mr Mohawk to someone like Colonel Kurtz. Colonel Kurtz was crazy, but that means nothing on its own. What was impressive was the fact that he was the embodiment of the madness they’d seen going up the Mekong, and that there was so much sense in his madness.

It was human, not cartoon. If he had just been blabbering threateningly, and murdering indiscriminately, he would’ve been a cartoon. Instead he’s someone you have to deal with, perhaps even outside the movie.

In my opinion he might as well be a mad scientist, based on what we’ve seen.

38. Stephany Nunneley

English trailer in there now.

39. TD_Monstrous69

This game has had my attention since I first saw it demoed at E3, can’t wait till September 6th. Also, is it just me, or is dubstep in game trailers starting to get annoying?

40. YoungZer0

@37:

Yeah i hear ya. I also like less enemies and more danger from the enemies. It all comes down to the Ai. Most developers just don’t give a fuck about that. Let’s just hope they haven’t forgotten the roots this time. I liked the setting and art-direction of FarCry 2, but they just missed a lot of what makes a good game … good.

I actually get some positive vibes from the material we ‘ve seen so far.

I really like that Mohawk Guy is a Psychopath. He is kind of different from what we’ve seen in other games so far. I think it is kind of interesting to see these fucked-up people, being motivated by their own fucked-up logic. For me, it’s what made the Joker in Dark Knight so interesting, he was unpredictable.

From what i read everyone on the island seems to be crazy and that there might be a bigger mystery behind that. Or even worse, i read that the protagonist might actually be the bad guy.

Again, i think you should give the game more time to before you make up your mind.

I don’t expect it to be as deep as Apocalpyse Now, that’s what i hope Spec Ops: The Line will deliver instead.

41. Maximum Payne

All shit a side its still better then 90% of other shooter.
    Its not military in you face ,its not corridor but sandbox and you have Vehicles so just by that deserve something.

42. DSB

@40 Fair point. I guess there’s still room to be surprised.

I wasn’t saying they should try to match Coppola though, that would be totally unreasonable. I was just trying to suggest how you can make a psychopath be more than a bogey man.

Joker is another good example though. He’s a bit different in that he’s a psychotic, so he’s more desperate than deliberate. Harvey Dent is another good example of a crazy guy who you have to relate to.

I guess I’m just not seeing the depth in what we’ve seen so far, and I’m discouraged by the last game, because that also simply revelled in violent psychopaths for the sake of doing it.

I love being proven wrong by games I’m skeptical about though.