Thank Everquest II for Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Tuesday, 14th February 2012 22:57 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Former pro-pitcher Curt Schilling founded 38 Studios in part due to disappointment in Everquest II.

Speaking to CBS Sports, Schilling said Everquest II didn’t live up to his hopes, and that certain elements made him ask “what were they thinking?”

Talking to Sony Online Entertainment staff about his frustrations, he discussed the possibility of founding his own company, and received several expressions of interest which he later countered with job offers.

Schilling mostly funded 38 Studios privately, joined by “high net-worth individuals” and a state grant from Rhode Island, and now has 400 employees.

The former athlete said he expectes 38 Studios to become a “multibillion dollar entertainment company”, expanding to different kinds of media, but admits some aspects of development are harder than he expected – most notably, cross-platform programming.

“The only thing I’ve seen that could be harder is missile defense systems,” he said.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is 38 Studios’ first game, and is out now on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. It will be followed by an MMO set in the same world, currently codenamed Copernicus.

1. TheWulf

So you were disappointed that Everquest II wasn’t the MMO you wanted it to be, so you created a single-player MMO?

And once again, one-upmanship. They just can’t say something nice about their game without shitting on someone else, can they? Geez these guys are complete jerkwads, unforgivably so. Everything they say tends to make me dislike them more and more.

It’s one thing for a gamer or a journalist to say things like this, and that’s fine because that’s just their opinion from the standpoint of someone who plays games, but for a developer to do this it’s just… it comes off as arrogant and egotistical for a developer to do this and it just makes them look like complete and utter prats.

TELL US WHAT OTHER GAMES SUCK WHEN COMPARED TO AMALUR, BIG HUGE GAMES/38 STUDIOS. WE’RE ALL CURIOUS ABOUT HOW EVERY GAME THAT ISN’T AMALUR SUCKS! DO TELL US!

YES, LET US ALL BASK IN THE GLORY OF YOUR GAME, WHICH YOU ASSURE US IS SO GREAT COMPARED TO ALL THOSE OTHER GAMES YOU’RE SHITTING ON!

(I only use caps for either angry shouting, emphasis, sarcasm, or all of the above. Whenever I feel it’s necessary. And here it was necessary. So necessary.)

2. TheWulf

Okay, so… new post for this.

I’m sorry but I don’t think one-upmanship like this is cool. Not only does it betray their own lack of confidence in a game, but it’s designed to make fans of other games feel bad about their choices. It’s manipulation at best and just shitty at worst.

I can just imagine these guys going to something like PAX, having a conference, and then doing something like…

“Oh, hey Supergiant. Yeah, Supergiant? Bastion was shit. Oh, look! Look, it’s Bethesda! Hi Bethesda! Skyrim was shit. Aha! It’s SOE, we see you hiding there. Oh, hey, you guys? Everquest II is shit. …who else? Oh! Look, there’s Obsidian. Hey Obsidian! Your games are shit! Hahaha. So many shit games. But Amalur? AMALUR IS AMAZING!”

I would not be able to stand in the same room as these guys.

3. Christopher Jack

Frankly, you’re making far too big of a deal out of this, he was just pointing out that his inspiration to make this game came from a game that he felt was lacking, big woopty doo! There’s nothing wrong with being brutally honest, better than being the regular cowardly PR agent.

Would you complain if someone from Volition said that GTA was too dull so they created the over the top Saints series to compensate for it?- I wouldn’t, it’s obvious where they drew their inspirations from, they’re just improving it from their point of view to the game they would have preferred it to have been.

4. Sini

Well in his defense, EQ2 was, is, and always will be, utter shit. Unlike awesome EQ1, which I’ve been playing for past 10 years.

5. OlderGamer

Gotta agree with CJ, Wulf. Seems to me your being bothered over little or nothing. Its a PR game, its what they do.

As for Amalur, it is the best game I have played on a console in years. IMO, it blows the Elder Scrolls games out of the water. It is what I would want, and now expect, out of every RPG coming down the pipe. It set the bar pretty high.

The story is fantastic, and I hate stories in games. My opinion is if you want a great story, read a book or watch a TV/movie show. But I honestly enjoy the lore of Amalur. I actualy read each and everything each NPC has to say. Its interesting. I like it.

The world is freaken beautiful to look at. Finaly a game of this scope with actual color! The graphics really help draw me in and create a nice place that I want to spend an afternoon/evening playing around in.

The gameplay is outstanding. Really no other RPG I have played comes close. No auto attacking. No clumsy controls. No robot like char animations. No combersom interface to get in the way. the game plays like an action game. Fast and fluid.

I like the destinies, I like the fact that you can mix and match your skills to create your own style of combat. I play a hybrid of sorts. I use poison edge from the stelth tree, but apply it to chakram(mage weapons) and sling em around like Xena the princess warior on TV. I also dable in some might based skills allowing me to use long swords and earthquake skills. Link it all together, and I can blink into the middle of combat, charge the area of effect based chakrams, slice and poison everything, blink out, turn, tag the grouped up mobs with mark of flame, and then exicute it for massive damage. If anything walks away from that charge in waith sword in hand.

I am sorry but that is cool as hell. Its a very good and very fun game.

Easily my game of the year. I can’t see anything even coming close in my book. Watching out for Diablo III and Tourchlight II tho.

6. fearmonkey

@OlderGamer – I bought it for a friend, and will eventually buy it for myself. He absolutely loves it, and he is very picky about his games, he usually doesn’t care for same games I like.
    I’m looking forward to playing it when I have some time.

7. OlderGamer

I think anyone that goes into Amalur without a predistaste because it isn’t an Elder Scrolls game is going to love it. The only thing I would have liked to see in that game is co-op. I know Split screen is prolly too much to ask for, but even over the net would have been good.

I hear there is talk about an KoA MMO. As good as that might sound I am not too sure. I really don’t need or want another WoW clone. Kinda worried about the idea.

I’d be thrilled with a sequel that includes some co-op tho.