Mass Effect 3 demo goes live on 360 – first 15 mins in HD

Tuesday, 14th February 2012 09:43 GMT By Johnny Cullen

The highly-anticipated single and multiplayer demo of Mass Effect 3 has finally gone live for everyone on Xbox Live Marketplace. Watch the first 15 minutes of it below.

The release comes after early access to the single-player content over the weekend.

The demo features two single-play sections, as well as a taste of the series’s introduction to multiplayer. I took a look at the single-play stuff here yesterday.

Queue it up here. It comes in at a sizeable 1.76Gb for all Live members, including Gold and Silver.

The demo will go live for PC and PSN at some point throughout the day. The full game’s out on March 6 in the US and March 9 in Europe for 360, PS3 and PC.

Watch the video below.

1. BraveLilCrumpet

I’ve been thinking about this, and decided I’ll be saving my Mass Effect 3 cherry until the 9th and popping it then…

2. Hcw87

If you watched the E3 vids, and the vids released after that, you won’t get spoiled. The demo features those two levels (Earth attack/Female Krogan).

3. daytripper

played the multiplayer for about 4 hours straight last night, was surprised by how enjoyable it was

4. Patrick Garratt

I’ve just capped the first 15 mins of the single-player. I’ll have it up in a bit. Just encoding it now.

5. absolutezero

Oh God Ive just watched that scene with Anderson pppffff ah aha ha ha. People used to think Bioware was all about high quality writing. They were all about high quality writing. Farewell wonderful Bioware of the past.

6. Patrick Garratt

“We fight. Or we die.”

7. Froseidon

@5 I don’t get it, whats wrong with Bioware’s writing?

8. Patrick Garratt

The video’s there now.

9. John117

I would rather play the demo myself than watching it :P

10. Patrick Garratt

@9 – You have that choice!

11. viralshag

I thought the demo was pretty damn awesome… really set the tone for what to expect in the game, or at least I hope that’s the case. Seriously pumped for it!

12. Froseidon

@11 – Agreed, just want the multiplayer portion now >.<

13. DSB

@7 “It’s the reapers, and we’re not ready for them. Not by a long shot”

“You’ve been there, in the trenches, fighting them”

Apparently not even the voice actors couldn’t take it seriously. Can’t say I blame ‘em :P

14. Colin Gallacher

I’m…not sure on it at the moment. I played the demo through for a second time, it’s barely Mass Effect any more but just another shooter in the ME Universe.

And good god that writing. Have they just given up?

I just miss Mass Effect 1 :(

15. Froseidon

Still don’t see whats wrong with the writing >.>

Also, yeah, Mass Effect 1 was the best game I have ever played.

16. papershadow

@15 It’s called complaining for the sake of complaining. None of them have played the full game yet, so their opinions of bad writing are just invalid.

17. DSB

Well, I guess it depends on what you’re into. If you’re a conneseur of Michael Bay, then it’s pretty much spot on.

It’s not hard to imagine a Marine in a city under attack by Decepticons resorting to tripe like that.

I agree though, Mass Effect was a great game. I don’t think I’ve ever played a game that was flawed in so many ways, and yet didn’t care because of the story and the universe.

I thought it was the start of something big. I think Colin’s right though. Somewhere along the way they just stopped caring.

18. Froseidon

I do get the feeling they never expected it to go to a trilogy. But they’ve done a bloody good job of keeping it running.

19. Maximum Payne

@14 Its demo for cry out load.Of course its going to be shooting in it.Its like Skyrim had a demo and they only show you first level and everyone would say:Oh its linear its very scripted with that dragon…

20. Takeshi

@9: I’m with you. I’m don’t think it’s pointless to play a demo when the game is out in three weeks or so, but watching a video when you can play it yourself in a couple of hours? No way.

I can play both PC and PS3 and I’ll probably end up playing through the demo on both platforms just to try it.

21. Colin Gallacher

That’s really annoyed you hasn’t it? :D True, it is a demo, but isn’t the point of a demo to demonstrate the product? And BioWare/EA have picked out 2 levels that they feel give a good representation of the game.

And I did try a Skyrim demo. Back at the Eurogamer Expo in September where Skyrim got it’s first playable outing, Bethesda had set up a restricted demo of the game with no path set to follow. It was excellent :D

22. OrbitMonkey

Lulz, I really do enjoy the comments that Mass Effect 1 was some kind of unique little gem that Mass Effect 2 somehow ruined.

Epic story? Well yes if your only reference is Quake or Halo, maybe Mass Effect does seem kinda special. Of course if you’ve read a couple of books, or maybe seen a couple of episodes of Star Trek it kinda seems samey.

Depth of gameplay? Oh noes some customization was removed! A skill tree trimmed! Huge loss. Though I’m sure theirs some who actually enjoyed the endlessly scanning the planet’s and taking the Mako on a joyride round yet another bland little planet.

23. DSB

@22 Well if it wasn’t good to begin with, it’s certainly worthless now.

Personally I think the idea of sentient machines (essentially evil gods) lying in wait to harvest life in a galaxy once it develops to a certain stage is pretty compelling, and while it’s certainly a game that stays well within the average conventions of scifi seen through the human eyes, I still think they made a very compelling universe, with a pretty decent story to it.

It doesn’t have to be remarkable to be enjoyable.

Customization and choice is an important part of an RPG. You can’t just turn something into a Ubisoft shooter without pissing off a few people. That’s just not the game we (or at least some of us) were expecting.

If you like it that way, whoop-tee-doo. Congratulations on yet another generic TPS for your collection.

24. Da Man

Halo plays as if you already know everything, it has a very good plot unless you try finding something that wasn’t there. Like comparing Star Wars to Solaris.

What’s funny is how people can’t see a ‘story’ unless there ‘re tonnes of text thrown at you or some overly scripted sequences everywhere.

25. Maximum Payne

@22, @24
    This.

26. Froseidon

I love the story to Mass Effect. I loved it so much, that it is the only game universe (besides for Fable, which I have now given up on) that I have bought the books for.

27. Hunam

Meh/10 for this.

First game was brilliant, inspired, fantastic.
    Second was OK, silly, unfocused.
    Third Demo was clunky, hammy, meh.

Also, agree with most of the comments about the writing. It’s just getting beyond poor now. Shame, SWTOR was brilliant and often genius in it’s writing (for the Agent class at least) this is just another step back.

28. Phoenixblight

They had actually removed some of the dialogue from the demo in order to avoid spoilers for the actual game. This was already mentioned through twitter, forums and previews.

29. Hunam

Oh, the animation was another thing that got me, with Anderson on the rooftops, that was just hilarious.

Also, new default femshep looks like a hobgoblin with a giant mouth. Thankfully and updated originaldefault femshep is there and she looks alright. Not as soft as the ME2 redition.