Unreal Engine Samaritan demo requires power of ten 360s

Monday, 13th February 2012 23:49 GMT By Brenna Hillier

The next generation of hardware will have to seriously up its game if it expects to keep up with Epic’s hugely popular Unreal Engine.

Speaking at DICE Summit 2012, Epic boss Tim Sweeney said the Samaritan Unreal tech demo unveiled at GDC 2011 required 2.5 terraFLOPS to run.

Develop reports that’s ten times the power of an Xbox 360, at .25 terraFLOPS.

The Samaritan demo was demonstrated on Unreal Engine 3; the next iteration of the tech may have very different requirements. Epic described the demo as a target for hardware manufacturers to aim for with next-generation platforms.

Unreal Engine 4 is due for reveal this year, with a release expected in 2014.

1. Moonwalker1982

It was reported that Epic had also said that the engine is running on consoles they can’t name yet. But that would mean the new consoles will be ten times a 360? nah.

2. runbmp

This ran a triple sli Geforce 580 rig. Its some serious horse power to get this tech demo going. Let alone making it playable which would require some hefty CPU along side.

Most games that epic fail and the rest of industry release are compromised of washed out textures in low res and static physics for a limited amount of objects.

I think hard reset from dev Flying Wild Hog actually does a better job to be honest and its available now.

3. Clupula

Good! The next generation SHOULD be a huge leap from the current one! I’m perfectly happy with my PS3 right now. In order for me to get another console, it would have to be a PS2-PS3 leap, which is exactly what this would require. Sony and Microsoft should NOT be doing the bullshit Wii-U, 1.5X a PS3 thing. Why would I buy something only slightly better than what I have? I want to be impressed by the next gen.

4. Phoenixblight

That won’t be happening all this tech demo was a “what if” and is in no way an illustration of what the next jump in gen will be. Its quite easy to make an engine to do whatever you want completely ignoring what realistically will be happening with hardware. SOny and Microsoft will not be repeating this gen as they had done last gen which had created a huge hole in their pockets and then took 6 years to finally get to a point where they start earning a profit.

5. Hybridpsycho

No it won’t, the next gen will be the smallest leap we’ve ever had in a generation switch, the new Xbox will be weaker than my current PC and I don’t even have a proper monster rig :/
    It’s sad tbh and I loathe Microsoft for not taking it further, I’m putting my hopes in Sony and that they’ll actually get a proper console for the next-gen.

The sad thing is that it COULD happen if the console companies stopped being so stupid, it wouldn’t cost alot more to increase the performance of the next-gen consoles with alot more than what they will be increasing them with, yet they would never do it.

6. Maximum Payne

Come on people, Samaritan wasn’t that special.I find impresive Maybe that is just me but I an not easy wowed like before.They just bumbed resolution and use every DX11 feature and use every that they have and now everyone is like:” omg that require 3 580 gtx so next gen will not have even half of Samaritan…”
    @4 Next gen need to be leap because you need reason to buy new console just like with every gen cycle.

7. wamp

the samaritan was impressive visually, but to get me jaw dropped I need to see some open environments. Crowds that feel real, traffic, physics and for me most … intelligent A.I. Because after that first 1 hour of eye candy and destructible awesomeness, the rest of the game to be fun, unique and memorable depends on the A.I.

I hope the leap will be huge. There maybe would be 8-10 years difference since the current gen and the next gen and we know how fast the technology is advancing each year.

So c’mon Microsoft and Sony, I know it’s hard, I know it’s gonna cost you a lot of money the first couple of years

BUT DON’T BE CHEAP BASTARDS

8. Maximum Payne

@7 Agree.

9. ManuOtaku

“Develop reports that’s ten times the power of an Xbox 360, at .25 terraFLOPS”.

So a game will cost ten times more, i rather pass 8P

10. Da Man

#5 Where did the evidence supporting that claim come from, your arse maybe, hmm? Or perhaps some internet rumor? Yeah, thought so.

The next Playstation will be less powerful than PS3, I ‘m putting all of my hopes to Sega and the rumored Dreamcast 2. I read it on the internet, thus it must be true.

11. ManuOtaku

#10, Well to tell you the truth i agree with his opinion, based on the latest financial report from sony, that had almost 2 billion in loses, and also adding the current state of the global economy, that makes me believe the leap will not be that big as this gen, at least it will not surpass the best graphics cards and GPU available right now for the current top computers, becuase it will make a very expensive console, something that for the previous stated reasons it wont happen, the aim will be a great punch in the graphical department, but keeping an affordable console, especeially if one looks at the history of past gens, the less capable console, graphics wise, won their respective gen.

12. Maximum Payne

@11 No big leap no need for users to buy ps4 ergo Sony losing money again.They don’t make money by selling console but by selling games.

13. ManuOtaku

#12 I agree they make money selling games, but if other sony divisions are losing that amount of money, one may guess that they want to reduce the loses in all their divisions, therefore IMHO they dont want to lose the same amount of money with the ps4 as with the ps3.