Guinness gives Greatest Video Game Ending record to CoD: Black Ops

Monday, 13th February 2012 02:54 GMT By Brenna Hillier

It’s official. Call of Duty: Black Ops has the best ending of any video game, ever.

The list was generated through polling, with 13,519 “gaming fans” giving their opinions for the record. How could so many people be wrong, amirite?

“Everyone has an opinion on how to end a game whether it’s an epic boss fight, a clever plot twist or a 90-minute movie. This list recognises some of the greatest endings and hopefully will get gamers talking about what are their favourites and why,” Guinness World Records 2012 Gamer’s Edition editor Gaz Deaves said.

I’m sure it will, mwa ha ha. See the full top 50 below.

Guinness World Records: Top 50 Best Video Game Endings

• 4. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
  • 3. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • 2. Halo: Reach
  • 1. Call of Duty: Black Ops

Thanks, GameInformer.

1. ejams

I’ll be the first to say that wow this was probably biased in one way or another due to the fact that this game was the most popular game of all time for awhile. It’s ending had a simple plot twist, nothing we haven’t seen before. It was decent at best but definitely not the best ending I’ve ever seen, and a significant portion of games on that list had better endings than this. Also, trolling inbound in 3…2…1…

2. Stardog

This is retarded. If you ask a bunch of non-critics to vote it just becomes a popularity contest.

Guinness world records should die. They’ve never been more pointless or out of touch.

3. AJacks92

@1 Agreed. No doubt, it probably had the best ending between the CoD series, but not the best ending period. MGS4′s 3 hour ending had tie-ins and tied knots to all the other MGS games and was also capable of evoking a couple of tears. Not saying that MGS4 had the best ending, but c’mon. Black Ops? Really??

4. Razor

32. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

What the fuck.

MGS3 should be in the top 5, at least; MGS4 shouldn’t be anywhere near the top 10, let alone in it. What a horseshit list.

5. mathare92

Ugh. The mere fact that MGS4 somehow ended up at 8th alone should be an indicator of how much of a failure this ‘poll’ was. That game’s ending could not have been more botched (“Zero is Nothing and Nothing is Zero… ahh!), and I say that is a fan of the series.

6. mathare92

Wait for IGN to release a ‘proper’ list next week.

Edit: That reads a little less sarcastic then it should :P

7. Johnny Cullen

*calmblueocean… fury pents up for MGS3 so far down the list…*

AAAAAAAAARGH!

8. Garo

I’ll just disregard this news. They were not asking the right people (Gamers).

9. Judicas

Normally I’m too lazy to come post when there’s something this stupid going on … Black Ops and Modern Warface in a top 50 list let alone a top 1000 list, w t f !?! Sad state this world is in if people consider those games to ever be remember 5-10 years from now :P

10. G1GAHURTZ

Well, even I haven’t even finished the Black Ops SP.

I got about half way through, and it was just a complete chore, so I haven’t gone back to it until now.

In fact, it’s the only CoD SP apart from CoD1 that I haven’t finished. I even forced myself through CoD3!

I might try and force myself through the rest of it now, though.

11. Dragon246

Its so useless that I cant be bothered to type more than one line.

12. Freek

A gennuine world record is a measurable achievement, not something that is merely a popularity vote.
    Says more about how far Guinness has fallen and how cash strapped they are then anything else really.

13. Patrick Garratt

I’m impartial. But this is fucking stupid.

14. Christopher Jack

@12, Well ‘best video game ending’ would go down to perspective & having the popularity the series has, there’s no doubt that it’d definitely be up there as one of the best game endings, as most people wouldn’t know any better. If they’re going to do something along those lines, they really should only count informed voters, such as video game journalists.

15. Fin

Reach is the only high positioned one I’d agree with. HL Episode 2 should be top though, no question.

Black Ops being top is bollocks, it was so AMERICA, FUCK YEAH! at the end (seriously, if you played it, watch a yt video).

The Guinness World Records have always been out of touch, making up records (it wouldn’t surprise me if there was a Most Bullets Fired in a Game award), this just confirms it.

16. freedoms_stain

I’ve had shits with a better plot, score, gameplay and ending than Black Ops.

17. Erthazus

Black Ops ending with “AMERICA FUCK YEAH” moment?

Ahahahahaha. Alright.

18. Fin

Maybe you remember it different to me bro, cos you played it for about 50x longer than I did (10 hours v 500).

Oh no wait, if this doesn’t scream AMERICA, I don’t know what does

19. DirtEHarry

The actual ending with the assassination of JFK was actually pretty cool.

20. Maximum Payne

@19 Agree but MW2 ending was stupid.

21. NiceFellow

I love my video-games – but this just seems stupid. Most games have abrupt, silly or simply daft endings. This just seems pointless. I think I’d struggle to come with even 10 games with endings worth noting.

Black Ops for example has a hugely gung-ho ending followed by a bit of daft JFK conspiracy stuff that means precisely nothing (as does the game itself really) overall.

The whole SP is just a frame for some linear action sequences.

Also – why has Guinness even done this? Don’t they deal with official records, etc? What they hell are they doing creating subjective lists no-one will agree to and you can’t quantify?

22. Yoshi

23. silkvg247

Bioshock should be higher, did not see the twist coming at all. Also liked the two different endings.

My fave endings are from older games; FFIV, Phantasy Star 1.

I lol’d at COD being at #1, I think we all know that has fuck all to do with the actual game ending and more to do with fanboi-ism at it’s best.

24. G1GAHURTZ

LOL @ Super Mario Bros!

Yeah… Was a classic moment when I finally ended up storming the right castle and getting the right princess!

25. OrbitMonkey

My favorite ending is from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, nothing has ever topped that ;-)

26. IL DUCE

Yeah I don’t think so…Black Ops had a pretty good twist so I guess it probably deserves top 10…but Red Dead Redemption is probably the best ending imho…Fallout 3, Mass Effect(s) and Portal(s) are deservedly on there as well…

27. DSB

They must be trolling.

I did like the somewhat “stranger” side to the story in Black Ops, but you had it figured out long before you saw it.

It’s pretty retarded to make a list of the 50 “best endings” to videogames in the first place, especially when it’s just the results of a basic poll of nobodies.

My favourite ending has to be Grim Fandango. But that’s obviously because of how much I enjoyed the game itself. Fables was great too.