American Nightmare inspired by pulp, sci-fi, B-movies

Friday, 10th February 2012 20:16 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Remedy has released a new developer video for Alan Wake: American Nightmare, and in it the team discusses how Wake’s story this time around is more of a pulp-action-adventure. Drawing inspiration from sci-fi and B-movie classics, as well as urban legends, American Nightmare will have a very different mood and stylization, similar to the TV show in the first game Night Springs, and Wake will find out that sometimes, legends like Mr. Scratch, are real. American Nightmare launches on February 22.

1. The_Red

I’m still for my damn Night Springs game. Come on Remedy, you know that would be an awesome AW spin-off.

2. loki

Not intrested anymore
    RIP Remedy

3. naveto

You know what else drew inspiration from “B-movie classics?” Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. And didn’t that just turn out great…

4. itsucks

@looser: sure, if you’d ever been youd loose your phony paycheck of the mont, piece of shit (3).

5. Sadismek

“Inspiration for American Nightmare came from pulp, sci-fi and B-movie classics”… “B-movie classics”… “B-MOVIE”. Ok, I’ll pass.

6. Maximum Payne

@5 Are you for real ?

7. Sadismek

@6 What do you mean?

8. Maximum Payne

B – Movie thing.I hope that was sarcasm.

9. DSB

B-movie is a pretty schizophrenic term though.

It’s negative when people are obviously trying to make a movie that isn’t meant to be labeled as a B-movie, like Michael Bay movies for example.

But the vast majority of horror movies are B-movies, and they’re enjoyable because they embrace that absurdity. That’s why we like them.

The only good horror movie I can think of that might move beyond the “B” label would have to be The Ninth Gate, and even there you’re still looking at elements of absurdity that definitely aren’t trying to guard against being funny and weird.

I’ve only just started on Alan Wake so I don’t know where it goes, but I definintely like the idea, even if the writing and the concept seems a little too forced at this point.

10. absolutezero

Alan Wake gets better and better as it goes along, the writing gets loser and alot more fun than what it starts out as, battling through the entire first episode was a bit of a chore to be honest but once you get out and past that it opens up massively.

Giving you more toys, more laughs and upping the surreal just works so well in the later missions.

If you want a good idea of where they might be going with American Nightmare play or view the “Retreat” and “Concert” parts of the first game. Trying to be as spoiler light as possible there.

11. DSB

@10 I don’t think I’m gonna hate it, I’m definitely gonna stick with it.

It kinda reminds me of an independent film called Reconstruction. It just did the whole “fiction/reality editing” in a much more interesting way.

The mystery and confusion is the interesting bit. Having a character tell you he’s made up kinda kills that.