Schafer: I’ve pitched Psychonauts 2 “several times”

Tuesday, 7th February 2012 09:03 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Double Fine boss Tim Schafer has actually said he’s pitched a Psychonauts sequel “several times”.

Schafer told Digital Spy no publisher has played ball with it. Yet.

“I get a lot of, on Twitter or whatever, daily questions about Psychonauts 2. And I would love to do Psychonauts 2, I’ve actually pitched that to publishers several times and no-one has taken the bait so far,” he said.

“So it is hard because fans often don’t know how the business works, with the difference between a developer and a publisher, it’s hard to explain that.

“I’d love to do that game, but I’d have to convince someone to just give me a few million dollars. That’s all.”

The original Psychonauts launched back in 2005 to massive critical acclaim and a big fan following, but low sales.

1. Ignatius_Cheese

How about getting his new mate, Steven Dengler to help finance a sequel? He’s got oodles of money to spare!!

2. NeoSquall

Call Paradox.

DO IT.

3. The_Red

They should do a visual remake of the original, start hyping it and release it on all platforms to show people what they’ve been missing all these years. Something like new Stranger’s Wrath HD but with more buzz.

Psychonauts: The game with one of THE best level designs ever conceived.

4. DSB

It’s the best platformer I’ve ever played. It came out around Startopia which is one of the best theme games I’ve ever played, and neither managed to sell anything.

@2 Nah, it has to be done right.

@3 Well, sometimes it went a little off the rails. Black Velvetopia isn’t exactly great.

5. ManuOtaku

I think that this games doesnt need an HD remake, the visuals of this game, due the style that they did used, had age really well alongside with sly, wind waker,etc, IMHO it doenst need it, i mean an HD treatment.

Having said that i really love this game an i put this game on the same level as mario 64 and mario galaxy as the best platformers games ever,i will not place anyone one of them on top of the others because that will be a lack of respect for each game, it is a shame that it didnt sold the way it deserve, but i think games like sly, ratchet and jax back on the PS2 era, did had something to do with this those games also were great platformers, therefore i guess is easy to understand why it was so overlooked in those days, a damn shame it is.

I just hope they decide to make the second game, like i said in previous trends, in my eyes theres nothing wrong to make new games of older series in the newest console generations, i dont see that as milking, we as gamers deserve great old games done with current tech, and not just graphics wise, other important things in games as well(AI, new ways of interaction with the game, gameplay, etc).

6. Colin Gallacher

And now a picture of this article is on the front page of Reddit..

7. ManuOtaku

I forgot to mention if theres one game that i want to came to XBLA/PSN is grim fandango, because it is from the same man, and it was also very bizarre in tim schafer bizarre way, i wouldnt mind an HD treatment for this game, especially because i never got it on PC, i dont do PC gaming, so this will be the only way to get this well accolated game.

8. DSB

@6 Sometimes I almost feel like Notch tries too hard.

Doesn’t he have enough internets already?

9. locus2k1

Johnny BOOM! Notch offers to fund Psychonaughts 2: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-07-notch-offers-to-fund-double-fines-psychonauts-2

Fingers crossed, Psychonauts was in my Ps2/Xbox top 10 (Up there with BG&E).

10. Gadzooks!

Keep pitching you floppy haired genious! Someone will bite. They have to, they just have to!

In the meantime Psychonauts HD and Grim Fandango on XBLA please.

11. OrbitMonkey

Awesome!! Get it made and watch it fail!!

12. Gadzooks!

#9

Thats fantastic news, and a great attitude from Notch.

I take it double fine own the IP?

13. The_Red

@4 Agreed on Black Velvetopia. It was the only level that I didn’t love but man… The theatre level, the crazy conspiracy agents level and that Napoleaon like board game… (Sorry about lack of names, can’t remember them). They are my ABSOLUTE fave levels ever made.

Also, Psychonauts is my fave platformer (it’s behind original Sonic the Hedgehog on Genesis).

14. ManuOtaku

#13 i did like the one in spain with the bull fighting setting, nice colors and graphics, also the ones you mentioned, i think all of them were great, pretty diverse from one another, with the bizarre touch of double fine

15. The_Red

@14 I’m not saying I hated it. I liked that level but LOVED the rest of them. And by love I mean they almost destroyed my sanity by their awesomeness. Exactly, the diversity you mentioned was phenomenal and to this they I’ve never seen a game design this diverse and crazy (Maybe original MDK and Earthworm Jim but even they weren’t this ambitious).