BioWare: Shooter and RPG elements balanced in Mass Effect 3

Tuesday, 7th February 2012 03:04 GMT By Brenna Hillier

On a sliding scale of RPG to shooter, the Mass Effect series has made sorties on both ends – but is aiming right for the middle.

“I wouldn’t say one genre is winning out over another. We just want to tell the best story within the context of an amazing shooter,” producer Michael Gamble told CVG in response to a challenge over Mass Effect’s genre.

Gamle said the return of more RPG-like features, a major feature of the first game but diminished in the second, would help span the genre divide.

“I think in Mass Effect 3 we’ve actually brought back a lot of the customisation elements that were missing in Mass Effect 2: Weapons, armour, powers – each power now has nine possible ways of evolution,” he said.

“Like any transition between games, we want to polish everything.”

Mass Effect 3 is due in March on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

[image]

1. Samuel

Good.

2. TheBlackHole

@1 < This.

3. ManuOtaku

I hope this is true, as much as i did like ME2, it was an stepdown from ME in a lot of areas, especially on the RPG department, on the shooter area it was a stepfurther, really good, now if they can take both aspects and deliver equal quality on both, well my interest in this game is through the roof

4. TheWulf

So long as the story’s good and they don’t sideline Legion, I’m happy.

Though really, those are my two factors for buying or not buying. Actual choices are nice too, but I won’t place expectations that are too high and unrealistic upon them. Just a good story and lots of new info on Legion and the Geth.

Can you do that, Bioware?

5. DSB

“Bioware promises next game will be everything to everybody”

NO!!! REALLY?!?!

Gosh, that almost never happens.

6. TheWulf

I strongly disagree with that if you’re including story in that equation. The story was a massive improvement over ME.

Mass Effect was a Star Trek rip-off with the borg as their bad guys reworked just a bit into terribly clich├ęd EBIL robots (not just evil, EBIL!). The Geth were an entirely one-dimensional foe, with little information shared about them. It wasn’t until Mass Effect 2 that the Geth evolved from the sort of thing you’d see in a B-Movie to a properly storied species.

Shepard was more of a straight up military man/woman in the original as well, and nowhere near as nuanced as the Shepard we got in ME2. And not only this, but the aliens sounded bored. Most of them sounded like they ewre reading through lines on a board whilst combing their hair or doing their nails. There was little to no emotion there.

And even Grunt was at least somewhat emotional and thus a more compelling character than Wrex despite Grunt’s “I R KROOOGAAAN!” nonsense.

So, really, the story was pretty much trite and stereotypical in Mass Effect 1. ME2 is the game that I often think of as “Where Bioware actually learned how to write a decent story.”

Not a great story, mind you, but it was decent.

It was enjoyable, and it was light years away from the trashy nonsense that we had to wade through in the original Mass Effect.

7. DSB

@6 So you feel like the “evil mercenary”, the “mysterious assassin”, the “snobby cunt with the great ass” and the “hurt little girl who definitely isn’t V” was less derivative? Okay!

(Minor Insignificant Spoilers)

Not to mention the final boss. It didn’t even try to distinguish itself from the 800 series Terminator.

It was the biggest excuse for not making a plot that I can remember seeing.

90% of the game was “getting the band back together” and 10% was actually moving the plot forward – Which it actually didn’t, nothing really happened. It just copied the events of the last one, except it left out the epic battle and stuck you with a small raid on that ridiculous final boss instead.

The only major twist was the fact that Sheperd decided to work for the genocidal nazis of the last game. Which is of course a bold move. But makes absolutely no sense what so ever.

8. TheWulf

Not even going to bother. You started off with a straw man – because I wasn’t even talking about how derivative they were (I admit they all are), but rather that they were more tolerable. I know it was all very derivative. You don’t have to tell me that.

That’s why I said that it was a decent story, and not a great one.

I do wish people would work on reading comprehension before going on the attack. Please do.

Sigh.

I might have to explain further… I don’t want this to fly over any heads.

Look, what I said was that the characters in Mass Effect 2 were more tolerable. They’re all derivative because Bioware still tends to have issues with writing a decent story. But at least they were emotional, at least they weren’t one-dimensional, and at least they weren’t as so obviously derivative as they were in Mass Effect 1.

There are levels of how tolerable derivative characters can be, and I found the characters in Mass Effect 2 more tolerable than those in Mass Effect 1.

9. DSB

@8 Well it’s easy to say that they’re more tolerable, but simply calling something better doesn’t make it so.

10. TheWulf

Of course it does.

If they’re more tolerable then subjectively it’s better to me.

How on earth could it not be?

I mean – all I have is my opinion. Are we postulating that I’m not entitled to that?

11. DSB

@10 Opinions are fine, your argumentation is what I contested.

Saying that you like something more is opinion. Saying that it’s better is argumentative.

And I just happen to think the argument you made (in response to someone elses argument) is flawed, as stated above.

You argued that the first one was a ripoff and the second was where Bioware learned how to write a story.

To quote yourself – I strongly disagree.

12. OrbitMonkey

I always found Mass Effect to be a Babylon 5 rip-off. Spacestation where alien races scheme and humans are kinda looked down upon? Check. Ancient Evil coming back to kill everyone? Check. Sexy bald alien chick? Check. Telepaths? Check.

Though I’d love it if they brought in a Garibaldi type character for ME3 :-D

13. freedoms_stain

@12, I think they’ve lifted something out of every major sci-fi series from the last 40 years.

The relationship between the Quarians and the Geth for another example, stinks of the relationship between the Cylons and the Humans in Battlestar Galactica – Man builds Cylon, Cylon’s become uber intelligent, dispose man from homeworld, Man flee’s becoming a space caravan of vagrants. Geth/Cylon, Man/Quarian, totally interchangeable.

14. OrbitMonkey

^ Y’know I hadn’t noticed that one… You could probably make a drinking game out of spotting all the *references* ;-)

Another good drinking game would be to take a shot everytime you read a comment on a thread espousing Femshep as a better character and how they haven’t got a connection to Manshep :-D