Three quarters of Half-life protesters failed to turn up

Sunday, 5th February 2012 23:45 GMT By Brenna Hillier

This weekend’s action to protest Valve’s lack of communication over Half-life 3 was something of a blow out.

While over 13,000 players dutifully logged into Half-Life 2 as planned, that number falls disappointingly short for the 50,000 who signed up to take part.

That said, organisers report Half-Life 2 peaked at 11th on Steam’s charts, and the player count was a good 10,000 over usual levels.

The original Half-life and its sequel are considered revolutionary and highly-influential narrative-driven shooters, but the series has been dormant since the 2007 release of Half-life 2: Episode 2, with Valve refusing even to confirm development of a third episode or additional full sequel.

Thanks, Kotaku.

1. Fin

Slacktivism at its best!

2. LOLshock94

hahaha nerds fail

3. DSB

I am Jack’s complete lack of surprise.

How many copies did Half-Life 2 and the episodes sell?

4. deadstoned

Well I turned up and had a good time escaping City 17 and then the end citadel bit, I blame the hipsters joining the group and then not playing :P . Got to 12,000+ though I think, but still not that impressive for a 50,000+ group.

Still quite a nice spike though: http://steamgraph.net/index.php?action=graph&appid=220

5. _LarZen_

Half Life 2 is probably one of the most over rated games of all time…

6. Yoshi

Extremely slow news day much?

7. Phoenixblight

Yes its called Sunday.

8. G1GAHURTZ

I’ve been meaning to finish Episode 1 from The Orange Box for years now…

Way too busy.

9. GwynbleiddiuM

I turned up and had a massive fun, and my twitter account is there to prove it: “I unlocked the Heavy Weapons achievement on Half-Life 2! http://raptr.com/GwynbleiddiuM

PS: I didn’t know that I have a raptr ID.
    PS: Last time I played was back in 2010, where we didn’t have achievements yet, I should run anew for that sake.

10. Maximum Payne

@3 Half Life 2 sold around 12 mill.

11. schnide

As Kotaku themselves reported, those kind of attendance levels are actually pretty good.

Additionally, you still reported on the story, making the campaign for attention a success.

12. Joe Musashi

Amazing. You’d think that gamers would be able to, y’know, turn up and play a game. It’s not like it’s a bad game either. Or an unpopular genre.

Another own-goal for the vocal gamer that makes a lot of noise but doesn’t back it up with even the simplest action.

I guess what this shows is that for every 100 or so gamers that complain about something, only 25 actually give enough of a damn to lift a finger about it. Seems like we’ve been here before.

JM