Sony: Vita had a very “good start” in Japan

Friday, 3rd February 2012 13:45 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Sony feels Vita has had “a good start” in Japan, and doesn’t feel the handheld is experiencing any “problems” in the marketplace.

After a promising start initially, the handheld has slowing declined in sales week by week since it’s release in December, and after a slight bump last week, LtD sales in the region are around 535,423 according to Media Create figures.

“Now the company has not publicly announced the units of shipping and sales, [but] at the appropriate time, we would do so,” Sony’s chief financial officer Masaru Kato said during the firm’s financial call this week.

“But as far as sell-through, three weeks have passed and our sell-through is 500,000. This was announced on the 10th of January. So as a start, I think we had a very – a good start.

“Including software and hardware, we are carrying out the sales promotions and we do it to boost the sales, and we do not think we have any problems.”

PlayStation Vita launches in the US and UK on February 22.

Thanks, Eurogamer.

1. LOLshock94

this guy smoking a joint?

2. Razor

Just need the right games now. Sooner, rather than later though.

3. StolenGlory

Head, meet sand.

4. Gadzooks!

#1

For the past 6 years or so joint smoking has been mandatory at Sony HQ. Those stoners sure are funny though!

5. mark82

I think they saw what happened with 3ds. As soon as good games came out for that, it started to move units.
    Theirs no reason why the vita won’t do the same.

6. ManuOtaku

#5 I think it has to do with two factors the price cut and the games, but i give more weight to the price cut rather than the games.

7. Dannybuoy

@5 ‘There’s no reason…’ ;-)

8. lexph3re

Hmm 500k times 250 equals 125,000,000 if you multiply that by 300 you get 150,000,000 now since we also know the accessories sold the best at launch let’s multiply 300k by 120 because they sold out of the bigger memsticks that’s 36,000,000. grand total since launch in Japan 311,000,000. So 311 million in 2 months time you guy’s think his statement is unjustified? Oh yeah I forget twats like you guy’s think unless it’s in the millions it’s a success. You can’t measure success you can only be apart of it or not. So stop sticking your head’s in the sand

9. Christopher Jack

People only seem to care about price than value for money when you compare the build costs of both portable consoles. Although value is a subjective term, one may find the games on offer for the 3DS superior to what the PSV offers & henceforth prefer the 3DS regardless of price.

10. lexph3re

HAHA I stuck my head in the sand there on my math HAHAHA

11. DrDamn

It does need more games for the Japanese market – but they will come. Price cut was a big factor in the 3DS uptake, however there is likely less scope for that sort of thing with the Vita. It needs to do it with the games.

Need to reserve any judgement until the December this year when it should have a broader catalog of games and more established deals. Agree with lexph3re sentiments, though not his dodgey maths ;), that pure sales unit numbers are not the whole story. The PS Vita is nearly double the price of the 3DS, plus extra cash from overpriced proprietary memory and digital distribution will be a bonus too :).

Having had a play with one yesterday it’s clearly a better designed and more expensive piece of kit than the 3DS. Beyond the impressive technical marvel which is the 3DS screen the design and components of it are cheap and awkward.

12. Lounds

@11 I agree

I’ve never had a SONY product I haven’t been unhappy with any of mine that I have bought. I dropped my PSP in the agean sea and it still works, although I sold it last month but it lasted from release date (6years 5months). SONY know how to build products, yes they’re sometimes more expensive than competitors but dam they’re better in a lot of ways.

Only negitive thing I can say about SONY is the smart phones aren’t appealing, I had an old SE k750i and that was most reliable phone ever lol, but I’m happy with my HTC desire s.