Rage PC patched just in time for Mac release

Friday, 3rd February 2012 02:18 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Id Software has released a significant patch for RAGE, right on top of its OS-X launch.

The Mac version of RAGE goes for $39.99 and includes both the first-purchase incentive Wasteland sewer missions and the Anarchy Edition content. It’s available via the Mac App Store as well as some other retailers, but has not yet appeared on Steam and the rest of the digital distribution massive.

What has appeared on Steam – and elsewhere – is a patch for RAGE, bringing the game to version 1.2. The substantial update fixes a number of bugs, but most importantly, addresses the much-derided texture issues which have been a source of annoyance since launch.

For those with high-performance rigs, a texture detail option has been enabled to improve the look of assets, while a new transcode benchmark has been added to help players discover how quickly their PCs can decipher encoded graphics information and adjust settings accordingly. Additionally, new error messaging and “safe” fallback settings have been implemented, so identifying and dealing with errors should be easier than in the past.

RAGE was id’s first new IP since Quake, released in October last year, and maintains an 81 Metacritic average on both consoles, with a 79 on PC.

Thanks, CVG. [image]

1. Phoenixblight

“addresses the much-derided texture issues which have been a source of annoyance since launch.”

Uh no it doesn’t all they did was increase the sharpness to the texture. If the textrure is already blurry, no amount of sharpness will fix how it looks. I have tested it out and it still looks like crap though reall how the game looks is not what killed the game which caused them to lay off a percentage of their employees.

2. Judicas

I only played this on xbox 360, installed, and had the texture problem once only. Would be fair !#$!ing annoying if it happened all the time, which some pc users apparantly get. Game was lots of fun, easy even on nightmare but still fun.

3. silkvg247

@2 “Fun” being the main point that went over way too many people’s heads.

I loved the game, played it to completion which I don’t often do these days.

4. Sini

you payed for a pre doom 4 beta to test the new engine

5. DSB

@1 I couldn’t agree more.

I could’ve coped with all the bugs if only the game had been worth playing, but it was so poor that it actually offends me.

It’s weird to feel that way about a game, but they should be ashamed :P

@3 That would make sense if fun wasn’t entirely subjective.

Personally it’s not enough to drop me in a desert with a bunch of weapons that have no real power behind them at all, doing jobs I have no interest in, for people with no personality, while driving cars around in corridors that don’t really do anything to justify the time that takes.

6. xxJPRACERxx

I really like RAGE, a lot. I even bought a new video card just for it (well, it help for other games too). From an ATI 4890 with full of problems to an nVidia GTX 560ti wi no problem.

7. Edo

#4 Nailed it.

8. fearmonkey

I played the xbox version and really enjoyed the first disk, the 2nd disk to the ending was disappointing. It’s like they rushed the ending, the game didn’t really end with a huge climax. The last hub just felt incomplete.
    The game had a way of looking absolutely amazing, but also had those up close blurry textures, and the texture load in was extremely noticeable.
    I wonder if Doom 4 will be a next gen console game or arrive for the current consoles.